Plastic bags

P J

Ah yes the huge British plastic bag manufacturing industry.  As the brexit brigade are fond of claiming, they can export freely all over the world now 

we did before the vote.... don't you remember the images of Tesco carrier bags floating in the sea of China!!

we did before the vote.... don't you remember the images of Tesco carrier bags floating in the sea of China!!

They were probably made there.  As for China , they got rid of the free plastic carrier bags before we did.  It is estimated to have stopped the use of 40 billion bags equating to 1.6 million tons of petroleum.  

I do see a lot more people using their own bags in the shop now.  Some have those posh coloured ones that slot into your trolley too so you pack items accordingly as you go round.  Can't see the point in those though cos you have to take everything out at the checkout but I giess it;s still in order on the conveyor belt to put back in.

Tesco on wonwick road have a good system, you scan your items as you shop and you can pack it all your own bags them as you are going round.  You then upload your shopping 'list' from the scanner to the machine, pay and off you go.  They do spot checks sometimes on 5 random items out of your bags just to check you though.  I've used it but never done a big shop that way and packed mine as I've walked round though in case I've forgotten to scan something eek !! 

As for carrier bags.....I gave up trying to remember to take them with me so I just pay to buy them.  Doesn't bother me that they cost 5p anymore. 

PS Asda's 6p ones are much stronger and bigger than their 5p ones and are like other shops 10p ones but I don't think money from Asda 6p's or others 10p's goes to charity.

PPS I constantly have a carrier bag full of carrier bags again...lots of nice colours too.... I use them to bag stuff before putting in the black bin, much stronger than kitchen bin liners etc although still not enough to keep the bloody flies away :(:evil:

You surprise me Ms Dizz  :|

I thought you would be very much for this new"bagless" supermarket regime

If only because of the endless bags blowing everywhere over parkland etc and the very real recognised dangers they pose to our wild life.

I am not a "Greeny" by any stretch of the imagination but I think this legislation was a great idea.

Latch's rant now finished  :lol:

The elf & safety brigade make sure that packaging ,especially of food ,is a massive industry.

is it legislation or is it manufacturers/supermarkets insisting on packaging.  If it was legislation how come market stalls etc. are allowed to sell things loose or in a simple bag?

It's consumer demand that insists on packaging in a lot of cases (the customer is always right). You can go to the supermarket and buy 4 onions and put them in a plastic bag, or buy a plastic bag with 4 onions already in it. You can buy a lettuce, some loose tomatoes, a pepper, some spring onions etc etc or buy an already (plastic) packaged salad ready to eat. The market only provides what the customer wants, and if the customer is too busy/idle to prepare its own meals the market is only too happy to do it for them (at a price). So don't blame the supermarkets for catering to the customer, blame the customer.

You surprise me Ms Dizz  :|

I thought you would be very much for this new"bagless" supermarket regime

If only because of the endless bags blowing everywhere over parkland etc and the very real recognised dangers they pose to our wild life.

I am not a "Greeny" by any stretch of the imagination but I think this legislation was a great idea.

Latch's rant now finished  :lol:

I just cant remember to take bags with me though  Latchy.  I tend to just randomly go to the shops as and when I'm passing and sometimes I just nip in for a few things I could easily carry but then come out with bag fulls.

I even tried leaving bags in my car but then forgot about those too.  Our local shop chose to donate the money they get for their 5p bags to the Walton Lea Partnership so I never mind paying for theirs either even though they are so flimsy they rarely make it out of the shop in one piece.

I will try to be better from now though because my actions have surprised and perhaps upset you, sorry :(  :lol:  :lol:  ...I'll still have to buy other bags to put my black bin stuff in though if I;m not using carrier bags so I'll still be causing problems :(

honest truth is most people wouldn't even notice if 5p was added to their shopping bill, they just get arsey about paying for a bag which they consider should be free by divine right.  Most people on here, if they dropped a 5 p in the street wouldn't bother picking it up,    Thing is , 5p has found them out and worked a treat.   

Most people on here, if they dropped a 5 p in the street wouldn't bother picking it up......

I do, same for 2p's and 1p's.  I pick up ones I spot that other people have dropped :oops::lol: 

obviously not just after they have dropped them...I don't mean I swoop down like and eagle and grab before they can pick it up themselves

I do, same for 2p's and 1p's. I pick up ones I spot that other people have dropped :oops::lol:

obviously not just after they have dropped them...I don't mean I swoop down like and eagle and grab before they can pick it up themselves

I reckon the last time you dropped a coin and bent down to pick it up, it hit you on the back of the head

mine said see a pin pick it up and all day long you'll have a pin. :lol:

mate of mine would quite regularly collect the coins around the bus stop. Saturday and Sunday mornings usually being the best times.Plenty of loose change dropped by the drinking mob on their way to town. think his best haul was about seven quid and a few coppers.

Having been a frequenter of car scrapyards since my early teens, you would be amazed at how much cash you can find in a scrapped car... mostly coins, but I remember one time when I was a lot lot younger, finding about £20 in change in one car alone!!