Kingsway Hotel

pommie lass

Used to be a great public house in days gone by until it was taken over by the druggies

I only ever went in there once, we walked in and a huge fight broke out so we quickly vacated the premises and legged it. 

We didn't know at the time about the reputation it had but found out later that it was the norm in there so we never ever went back.   Same reputation that the Causway pub (wilderspool) had too and another one that we only ever went in once. 

I only ever went in there once, we walked in and a huge fight broke out so we quickly vacated the premises and legged it. 

We didn't know at the time about the reputation it had but found out later that it was the norm in there so we never ever went back.   Same reputation that the Causway pub (wilderspool) had too and another one that we only ever went in once. 

You must have walked in when United were playing Liverpool as it always kicked off in there!

I worked behind the bar for a few years when I was young.  It was a fantastic pub and full of remarkable characters.  There were a few flare ups now and again (ahem)  but on the whole it was a superb community boozer that was full from Thursday to Sunday and 5 deep at the bar as they had turns on.  The best nights were when the locals just did a free and easy night.  I was behind the bar when a new and short-lived landlord barred out the entire domino team.  Also when they were researching the film "Yanks" a load of American and English researchers came in asking about local life and interaction with the US airmen at the Air Base during the war.  I still think that movie would have been completely different had Blanche Carr been in that day, now she was a character.  I loved that pub.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear and rewind as seemingly I have heard of the pub and the street after all (and now I'm in trouble :lol: )

PJ do you remember a laundrette pretty much opposite the Ring O Bells or would you have been too young to remember it from 1962 to 1970 (ish)?