Easing traffic congestion in Warrington

Gary

Anyone know exactly where the new bridge over the Mersey is to be?

And are there any plans to provide a much needed through route through the Centre Park area to allow the existing bridge there to help ease the Bridge Foot chaos? We currently have the ridiculous situation where people I know who work in Centre Park but live north of the river have to first cross the river southbound to get off the site (and it can be murder getting out onto Brian Bevan island at peak times!) only to join the queues trying to cross the river northbound at Bridge Foot.

Hate to rain on the parade, but new road build on it's own simply won't keep up with the increases in traffic numbers and thus congestion. Having said that, there is clearly a need to develop a series of circular routes around the Town, with a new crossing of the Mersey in the Gainborough Road area, opening up the S/W quadrant of the Town and relieving the choke point at Bridge Foot.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Quite apart from the fact that any idiot can see that more roads - and especially more bridges - can only reduce congestion by providing alternatives to Bridge Foot, you then go on to completely contradict yourself by advocating a whole series of new road schemes!

More roads won't keep up with the increasing number and use of vehicles - better use of them may ease congestion. By eliminating such things as cycle lanes; more lanes can be provided on existing roads; by identifying circular routes and using (certainly in the inner area) one way systems, flows can be doubled, even quadrupled, thus reducing queue lengths. The main cause of congestion (aside from numbers) are junctions, and a comprehensive computerised traffic light system (which we supposed to have) should minimise delays. As for new build, yes; in selective areas, as I suggested, around the S/W quadrant via a new bridge. A multi ring road system would allow traffic to move around the Town rather than having to enter it. In terms of planning; venues need to be concentrated along main (bus) routes, to be easily accessible to public transport.  Finally, the point that no one wants to hear, is the requirement for a vehicle reduction strategy, by the provision of public transport alternatives and higher test requirements on potential drivers. The idea, from those in denial, that we can solve the problem by tarmacking over the Town, is what's ridiculous to say.

Exactly where do you build these "new" roads Inky; in built up urban areas; without wholesale demolition of houses etc (and we're short of houses too!)?  The majority of our older housing was never designed with "the car" in mind; thus we already have terraced housing estates with cars double parked both sides of the road, preventing two way traffic and compromising attendances of emergency vehicles; worse - some houses with larger families will have more than one car - this fully illustrates the problem. Infinite numbers in a finite space = congestion.

Hate to rain on the parade, but new road build on it's own simply won't keep up with the increases in traffic numbers and thus congestion. Having said that, there is clearly a need to develop a series of circular routes around the Town, with a new crossing of the Mersey in the Loushers Lane area, opening up the S/W quadrant of the Town and relieving the choke point at Bridge Foot.

Assuming you mean Gainsborough Road not Loushers Lane, I think you'll find that's more or less the idea. A new crossing of the river north of Chester Road swing bridge into Arpley Meadows / Centre Park (relieving the Blue Bridge and allowing remodelling of Brian Bevan roundabout) and utilising Slutchers Lane bridge at least as an exit, thus relieving Bridge Foot. That's the best for now Until Network Rail agrees to build Arpley Chord * and remove the track through Arpley to Latchford sidings, so Arpley Meadows could have a direct exit near Bank Quay.

* There's some movement at last from Network Rail after years of indifference (and expecting the Council to fund it all). I've had some involvement (a letter to two NR directors last August asking why it was so long delayed) but one factor is the government telling NR that they have to use their land and infrastructure to promote regeneration. (The chord would allow trains to Fiddlers Ferry to cut across into Arpley sidings and avoid the trains going to Latchford sidings where the engine changes ends. However, a non-nationalised rail industry brings its own risks - the "Ipswich chord" cost £50m to avoid freight trains reversing in Ipswich station then Freightliner said they weren't going to use it!) 

Agree completely Davy, you've only got to look at the main lights in the centre of Stockton Heath which stop ALL traffic through the junction and turn on all the green men for the pedestrian crossings once in every cycle of the lights - regardless of whether there are actually any pedestrians there.

I think the bovine stupidity of many motorists deserves a mention when it comes to traffic congestion, people stop across junctions when it's plain their way is blocked, queue across the exit on roundabouts (Cockhedge roundabout is a wowser for this)) and my personal favourite, when they're turning right onto a busy road they pull across the near lane and stop, blocking all oncoming traffic til somebody lets them in.

If I was a traffic copper in the town (not that such creatures exist any more) I'd educate some of those bums, I really would.

£12m on consultations, reports and surveys using expensive outside contractors and £.44m left to do the work in a cheap and cutting corners kind of way...... cynical.....????......Moi???

So you don't think there should be any consultation with the public? What "inside" contractors are there? You mean without going out to competitive tender?