Time to change the Law?

observer

I think that would be a good idea Obs considering, even when people are found or better still proved  not guilty ,that a certain amount of mud will stick.I think it would also be a good idea that alleged victims should be exposed & prosecuted for  crying wolf.

On this topic, it has been said that the Crown Prosecution service are paronoid and suffering from Savillemania and treating every high profile person connected with the media that has had accusations regarding crimes of a sexual nature pointed at them by automatically prosecuting them, people such as Bill Roache will have a label around his neck for the remainder of their lives.

On this topic, it has been said that the Crown Prosecution service are paronoid and suffering from Savillemania and treating every high profile person connected with the media that has had accusations regarding crimes of a sexual nature pointed at them by automatically prosecuting them, people such as Bill Roache will have a label around his neck for the remainder of their lives.

Reminds me of America in the 50's and the paranoia created by Sen. McCarthy... open season on any celebrities or anyone else come to that.

• Upvote 1

The reason the CPS moved this to court, is that there were several accusers; but alas NO collaborating or forensic evidence, in what can only be a "cold case".  The fact that "celebs" are in the public eye, can always spark resentment in some, and the publicity can create a bandwagon. Therefore, anonymity for all, can be the only route to fairness and justice - otherwise we're merely experiencing a witch-hunt.

I’m not so sure about all this talk about Ken Barlow getting off lightly just because he’s a Correy star. The way I see it is that most men in their younger years tend to sow wild oats whenever the opportunity arises, it’s all just part of human nature. I guess that being famous creates more opportunities but the question is, did Ken Barlow become famous to attract women or was it his good looks and fame that attracted women to him? Either way, having sex isn’t a crime but proving whether it was consensual or not, fifty years after the event is impossible. He probably had more sex than I’ve had hot dinners but if he couldn’t remember the women and three’s no way of proving anything, the only right decision must be to acquit him.

Something just dosn't feel right to me about all the celebs being dragged through the courts accused of historic sex offences and it's becoming a bit like the witch trials or what happened in the states with communism. 

Anyway enough heavy stuff, I need to lighten up cos it's nearly beer time!

• Upvote 1

That's never going to happen because in the same way that they couldn't prove historic rape alegations, they're never going to be able to prove the women involved were lieing. And as for naming them, well again what's the point because they haven't actually comitted a crime or been found guilty of anything and as the old saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right!

Bill :)

I was reading a news court report on the case a couple of weeks ago where one of the "victims" stated that she had been warned about  Bill Roache's philandering ways by  another male cast member.  Strangely enough , the actor mentioned didn't join the cast till at least  5 years after the alleged date of the last alleged assault.

When there is a tariff system in place which documents the kind of payments that someone can expect to receive as a result of sexual assault, the temptation must surely be there to "jump on the bandwagon"; especially when making accusations against named celebrities that the accuser says happened over 30 or 40 years ago. The whole thing comes down to a "your word against theirs" argument but if they win, it is a good payday.

Yes, some of these accusations may well be true, but I can't help wondering why someone would wait until they are in their 60's before making such accusations (as happened in the Bill Roache case). If they had happened and only on a couple of occasions, why would they not come forward??? It's not like the named celebrity can do them any harm at that age surely?

Check out page 65 onwards

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/victims-and-witnesses/cic-a/am-i-eligible/criminal-injuries-comp-scheme-2012.pdf

DLT Not guilty.....

DLT.... reputation in tatters

DLT.... Had to sell house to fund defence (as he said today; not all "famous" people have overflowing bank accounts)

Accusers.... away scot free with false allegations. No come backs and no redress.... They should be made to pay back whatever money it has cost the accused for his defence

• Upvote 1

Agree Baz; the fact that the CPS proceeded with 40 year old allegations (trivial in the case of DLT); without any solid forensic or witness evidence, merely the word of a complainant; amounts to nothing more than a modern day witch hunt - time the Police were directed to the really important crimes, like smoking in cars carrying kids !