xmas lights

basicfags

wbc have just turned on the xmas traffic lights on cockhedge island. not been any congestion round here since they turned them off last january, i'll give it half an hour and i bet traffics backed up all round the island. what is the point of a set of lights that just interrupt the free flow of traffic and actually cause congestion.

I wonder where they went...

I only tend to go that way now if I'm going to Asda, Tesco or the Wolves Stadium and even last Sunday there was no congestion and I thought there would be with people xmas shopping etc.

To get to Warrington College we find it better to go up Kingsway due to the road works on Winwick Road but we always come back down Winwick road towards the lights. No real congestion that way either.

BUT THEN THE LIGHTS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN OFF !!

Surely there is no need for these lights apart from the fact that due to bad really design we have a rather small island with 5 adjoining roads (some with 2 lanes) that confuse people and make them swerve to change direcion and in such haste they also forget to use their indicators too :evil:

What we need is more strikes as the roads were great on Wednesday morning :wink:

Maybe like Silverlady says they have been put on for the xmas period as they expect more traffic heading towards the golden square car park and it's new lights.

Delay the traffic at one point and it may allow congestion further up to clear and make it seem that 'whatever' other changes have been made have worked.

I've not used the new carpark entrance so it was just a tongue in cheek thought and nothing more.....but saying that having shopeed in Warrington last weekend and also this week I don't think I'll bother again before xmas anyway. It was naff apart from the camels :(:(

I can see a reasons for them, they force traffic on the island to let cars enter through the line of traffic, to exit at a different point; problem is, they also cause a tailback right around the island. The other island at the Church St junction merely has some broken white lines, which encourages the line of traffic from Mersey St to Brick St, to leave a gap, so that traffic from Buttermarket St to Church St, can get through; seems to work, except where a Bone Head insists on sticking to the back of the car in front. :roll:

I can see a reasons for them, they force traffic on the island to let cars enter through the line of traffic, to exit at a different point; problem is, they also cause a tailback right around the island. The other island at the Church St junction merely has some broken white lines, which encourages the line of traffic from Mersey St to Brick St, to leave a gap, so that traffic from Buttermarket St to Church St, can get through; seems to work, except where a Bone Head insists on sticking to the back of the car in front. :roll:

Nothing wrong with traffic lights on that island, the problem lies with the programming to allow correct filtration from the five roads in question, if someone in the highways department spent a bit of time monitoring the traffic flow at peak period then have Siemens or whoever is contracted to maintain them, to program the sequence to allow the correct traffic flow, the problem would be resolved, down to cost again I presume!. :roll:

Maybe like Silverlady says they have been put on for the xmas period as they expect more traffic heading towards the golden square car park and it's new lights.Hahahahahaha. WHY would anyone want to shop in Warrington?

For your information, I do all my shopping in Warrington to support the local economy! Done all my Christmas shopping there, no problems at all. :rolleyes:

Hello all. You asked if the council could respond and we've got an answer for you from the team responsible for traffic management. Hope it helps but we'll keep an eye on the feedback on this topic so we can update our colleagues if you're still experiencing problems.

The traffic signals were originally installed on Cockhedge Roundabout to reduce congestion on the A49 northbound (Brick St, Mersey St, Bridgefoot, Wilderspool Causeway) and the A5060 (Chester Rd) during the peak Christmas shopping period when traffic flow / journeys increase significantly.

Due to the higher number of vehicles accessing the Golden Square and Cockhedge car parks / shopping centres from the A57 Midland Way, vehicles travelling north along Brick St have difficulties accessing the Cockhedge Roundabout. This results in queues forming from the Cockhedge Roundabout along Mersey St, over Warrington Bridge and along both Wilderspool Causeway and Chester Rd reaching as far back as Walton Lea Crematorium. The congestion on the A49 at Bridgefoot creates tailbacks along the A5061 (Wilson Patten St) and the A57 (Sankey Way).

The idea is that the traffic signals on Cockhedge Roundabout will reduce the queues along the A49 northbound resulting in less congestion at Bridgefoot and hence reduced tailbacks along Wilson Patten St and Sankey Way.

On Thursday 24 November (late night shopping) and Sat / Sun 26 & 27 November there was congestion along the A49 northbound which resulted in the whole town centre being gridlocked with numerous complaints from members of the public and businesses within the town centre. On Thursday 1 December (late night shopping) and Sat / Sun 3 & 4 December (the busiest shopping period of the year) with the Cockhedge Roundabout signals switched on, there was reduced congestion on the A49, the town centre was not gridlocked and there have been no complaints from members of the public or businesses.

Of course, however, with many more vehicles trying to get into and around town at this time of year, some queues are inevitable. The problem has also been compounded on several days by accidents and incidents on the motorway network surrounding Warrington and the closure of the Mersey tunnels on 30 November so we have been using our traffic management centre to monitor traffic flows so that we can react as quickly as possible to any additional burdens on the local roads.

WBCouncil.....

I think we need a ring-road as nothing that your people do makes any difference. The issues get ten times worse when there is an issue on Thelwall Viaduct and will become immeasurably worse once the new Toll bridge is opened across the Mersey at Runcorn because drivers WILL divert through Warrington to avoid the tolls....

So you better get the traffic division to get cracking on a solution now rather than trying to wait and hope it all goes away.... :D

Perhaps people don't complain because 1, they don't know who to complain to. and 2. they think it would be a waste of time.

All that is happening is that people get stuck in queues and decide to shop elsewhere.

The road system in Warrington is Third World. Time to get a grip. :roll: :roll: :roll:

spoke to the traffic managment team at wbc yesterday afternoon regarding the lights on cockhedge roundabout, the gentleman i spoke to assured me that the lights only come on when traffic is backing up through town heading north. (pressure sensors actually control the on/off function of the lights) i can't see all brick st from where i am but it didn't look that bad at the point where it comes into my view.

when the lights are triggered they stay on for a minimum of 10 mins, even if there are no cars on the road, think they could cut that down to 2 or 3 mins myself, i also made the point that traffic entering the roundabout from manchester rd is often blocked by traffic standing on the roundabout and a keep clear road marking should've been painted on the road when the lights were installed. the man agrees on that one but it will prob never happen.

i mentioned the car park that is midland expressway to the gentleman and recived the standard police interrogation response of "no comment" on that particular joke of a road. so even the council must be embaressed by that one. the gentleman also offered to let me see the traffic control room (by appt) which i would love to have a play with for 5 mins, ha ha