80mph?

observer

I think that the speed limit on motorways should not be changed. I say this, not because I prefer it to stay at 70mph but because it will not make any difference to the way drivers use the motorways. Regardless of the official speed limit you will still have the nearside lane "crawlers", the middle lane "hoggers", the lane "leapfroggers" and the outside lane "idiots" who don't care about speed limits anyway. It will, no doubt, cost millions to implement (money which could be put to much better use). It will not make the motorways safer and I doubt that anyone will get anywhere any quicker.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only an idiot would and that’s why Horace and myself stay exactly where we are.

The idiot might be able to pass and squeeze between the lorries before having to pull out again but just because an idiot can do this, doesn’t mean that we should? Horace finds idiots that do this a bit irritating and I agree with him.

In a nutshell that’s what was said, so how the heck do you make out that we should be thrown off the roads?

You also say “We’re not talking about when the inside lane is full.” Excuse me, In your mind you might not be but that’s exactly what we were talking about before you joined this conversation. I think you really should try reading the posts properly before you start calling fellow posters especially given we all condem bad lane discipline and lane hogging.

Bill :)

Couple of points here Bill:

1. I was in 'this conversation' before either of you, and we WERE talking about middle lane hogging by that point (see post #7 & #12 by Baz and myself).

& 2. No you weren't talking about the inside lane being full, Horace clearly stated he was confused by drivers who were able to overtake him and subsequently pull into the inside lane, when he was incapable of doing so. By definition, not a full inside lane, and a confessed middle lane hogger.

I also did not say you should be thrown off the roads, I said you 'shouldn't be on the roads' if you find this standard of driving - particualrly as described by Baz - acceptable.

I think that the speed limit on motorways should not be changed. I say this, not because I prefer it to stay at 70mph but because it will not make any difference to the way drivers use the motorways. Regardless of the official speed limit you will still have the nearside lane "crawlers", the middle lane "hoggers", the lane "leapfroggers" and the outside lane "idiots" who don't care about speed limits anyway. It will, no doubt, cost millions to implement (money which could be put to much better use). It will not make the motorways safer and I doubt that anyone will get anywhere any quicker.

Not so sure Victor, as Bill himself admits, he feels quite happy tootling along causing congestion in the middle lane and policing other drivers, because he's already at 70mph; now he and his ilk will either have to up it to 80, or have to admit to himself that he's an issue and pull into the correct nearside lane.

I have to say though, I'm largely with you, instead of being so narrowly focused on a small number of driving ills, when will you see police pull someone for cauing an obstruction in this way, or driving without lights when it's pissing down or foggy for example. Dangerous driving ills that they seem not too bothered with, because presumbaly it's not an easy statistical catch to pad their figures with and too many do it to try stopping them all?

Fats

Stop making a total prat out of yourself. The fact that you posted here before me is about as relavent as me joining this forum before you.

You quoted an entire post made by Horace and made an insulting one line reply. It really is that simple, you screwed up and now you're digging your heals in.

Grow up and stop trying to cause trouble.

Bill

I'm not exactly sure as to whether I should ring my little bell now to calm things down a bit chaps as it seems to be getting a bit personal :unsure:

I'd hate to be on the same motorway as you two, and maybe you should both pop into the forum service station for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake and relax for a while :lol:

:blink: Reading all these posts I cannot but wonder how anyone of you would cope with driving in Egypt. Here there does not appear to be any rules and it's everyman for himself on the roads. I have witnessed so many manouvers that have had me gripping the sides of my seats and bracing myself. :lol:

You also say “We’re not talking about when the inside lane is full.” Excuse me, In your mind you might not be but that’s exactly what we were talking about before you joined this conversation. I think you really should try reading the posts properly before you start calling fellow posters especially given we all condem bad lane discipline and lane hogging.

Bill :)

Couple of points here Bill:

1. I was in 'this conversation' before either of you, and we WERE talking about middle lane hogging by that point (see post #7 & #12 by Baz and myself).

Fats

Stop making a total prat out of yourself. The fact that you posted here before me is about as relavent as me joining this forum before you.

You quoted an entire post made by Horace and made an insulting one line reply. It really is that simple, you screwed up and now you're digging your heals in.

Bill

:lol:

Bill

Bi,

I quoted the entire post, because I was replying to the entire post, to which I simply stated I disagreed with every word, and that if Horace's driving reflected what he had just posted, then he really shouldn't be on the roads, or at least not motorways.

Nothing insulting about it, but an opinion being passed based on his self-confessed driving errors.

It should be pointed out, you're the one having a go, in an entirely off topic attack, I am merely commenting on the topic of this thread, and I'd appreciate if you kept it at that too.

I was on the motorway today and watched as a big truck nearly took out a Nissan Micra which was tootling along at about 60 in the middle lane with the inside lane clear for about a mile!!

The old bloke driving shouldn't be pushing a shopping trolley l;et alone driving a car on the M6