Woolston High

ex padgate girl

I went to Woolston High and made a rather flippent comment in one of the other topics, well someone has emailed me telling me that my comments could influence the council into closing the school because i said it looked decrepid.

Well let me give that person a clue of how to keep the school open.

Tell the council it will be used to teach all the local immigrants and that should give you many more years.

I am entitled to have an oppinion about the school as it was the bain of my life for many years.

The decision HAS been made - but for some reason it still has to go back and too to committee over many more months, giving people false hope.

I wonder if the council took into consideration that there will soon be a big new mixed development on the old Bruche police training site, which could attract many more families into the area - and guess what no local school for them.

Originally posted by observer:

Interesting that a local Councillor should cite the building of houses on Bruche Camp as reason for keeping the School open. :wink:

Ironic really as the influx of prospective housing developments near Stockton Heath actually casued the loss of our our wonderful and historic Local Primary School.

I can see the councillor's point in the Woolston case though, although I would imagine that most new homeowners would be young and either yet to start a family or having young children.

Originally posted by Dismayed:

Ironic really as the influx of prospective housing developments near Stockton Heath actually casued the loss of our our wonderful and historic Local Primary School.

That isn't an example of irony at all. Stockton Heath still has a school, on the same site, indeed investment in a modern new building. Please do not try and mix the two issues.

Originally posted by JimmyMac:

That isn't an example of irony at all. Stockton Heath still has a school, on the same site, indeed investment in a modern new building. Please do not try and mix the two issues.
I am entitled to my opinion and I think it IS ironic...

As for your comments re Stockton Heath NEW school it's definately NOT a modern investment... I can only presume you haven't seen it since work begun !!!

Basically it's a cheap and tacky cramped box with the only benefit to anyone being the ease for future expansion by adding more boxes to it as and when needed.

Reality is sometimes a shocker :D

...and I hope Woolston continue to fight hard to save their school... EVERY CHILD MATTERS !!!!

Given the money that this Government have poured down the drain over the past ten years, in support of half-baked ideas, that havn't delivered on intended results - Sure Start; Accadamies; plus the added costs of interpreters for non-English speaking kids; and the Woolstons of this world could have been kept open. :roll:

You are entitled to your opinion, but that won't change facts and make something ironic when it simply isn't an example of irony - much like the eponymous Alanis Morrisette song.

[ 18.10.2007, 16:10: Message edited by: JimmyMac ]

Originally posted by JimmyMac:

You are entitled to your opinion, but that won't change facts and make something ironic when it simply isn't an example of irony - much like the eponymous Alanis Morrisette song.
Zzzzzzz

Ok :roll: It is no longer 'ironic' ! Happy now :sleeping:

Originally posted by JayC:

What happens if the school wins its fight does that mean that Padgate will close, will we then have the same debate going on in here, will other people be seeking the support of the posters?.

Tricky one I agree and if Padgate were in the same situation I'd be sticking up for them too.

but in this day and age...

SHOULD two schools be battling it out against each other to stay open? I think NOT !

Should parents, kids, teachers, residents and even councillors themselves find themselves in a position where they are expected to battle against each other to keep THEIR school open rather than concentrating on what they should be doing? I think NOT !

Is it right that a very small party of councillors sitting around a table can make such big decisions that inturn can affect such a huge number of people both today and in the future? I think NOT !

Kids need local schools and a good level of education and if a school provides it then IT SHOULDN'T CLOSE... END OF STORY !!

'Every child matters' remember :roll: ...a saying that will come back to haunt many :sleeping:

It seems to me that the problems with education stem from political interference both local and national. If only these self important, pompous prats would keep their big noses out of things they know nothing about (which seems to cover just about anything you could think of) we would all be better off. :roll::roll::roll:

Previous comments are all well and good, and indeed there might well be some merit in what you both say, but who does make the decisions and then who funds the implications of those decisions which no doubt involve extra funding.

In a democracy, everybody has the opportunity to stand for election if they believe that they can do a better job than the incumbents....whether the voters can be convinced is another matter.

Next, scheduled, opportunity is 1st May 2008. :wink:

There is a protest planned at Warrington Town Hall on Monday 29th October at approximately 5.15pm.

can I urge all who support the campaign to keep Woolston Community High School open to attend.

This is my first time posting so please be gentle with me!

Support And Value Education in Woolston!

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

In a democracy, everybody has the opportunity to stand for election if they believe that they can do a better job than the incumbents....whether the voters can be convinced is another matter.

Except that if you don't have the mantle of the big 2 (and the small 3rd) parties behind you, chances are you will get nowhere. That is why the idea of non political local councils would work so well; they would do what is right for local people (within reason of course) without the interference of the main parties.... only trouble is, the main parties would never let that happen because they would have absolutely no control over what happens at grass roots.

Woolston more than likely will close and then in 10 years time when we have a baby boom and the place is over run with Polish kids there will be no high school to send them to. Then the council will have to fund the building of a new high school or extend an existing one.... which seems to be the favoured way forward.

look back on the high schools we have lost; English Martyrs, Richard Faircloughs (which was a bloody big school) Bewsey High (another big un) and yet as far as I recall, we have only had St Gregs built so that must mean either the other schools have just absorbed the additional kids or there aren't the kids there to teach?

Countless primary schools have gone too, Oliver Plunketts, Werburghs etc. but the town is expanding so much.... not an easy one to call is it really?

Observer is right. I sugested to an acquaintance of mine who is in written communication with Helen Jones, that he say to her that if she is so concerned by the closure of WH, then she speaks to her new boss and asks for additional funds....think she'll be shown the door.

I understand that the current portfolio holder is experienced and wise enough to understand the limitations of her role, and the statutory handcuffs that bind her.