White Goods Removal

Milky

As far as i am aware they have been charging for bulky items for a good few years now.Not sure how long back they started charging though.

£20 for three items is pretty cheap (£6.66 per item) five items max at a total of £33.34.

So that's a cooker,  fridge,  washing machine, sofa and an armchair gone without the need to drive to the nearest tip with all the associated loading and unloading and queueing in traffic possibly ten times (five items five round trips unless you have a van or trailer).

All this info is on the council website. https://www.warrington.gov.uk/

9 hours ago, Bill said:

You must live in a different area Milky because as Sid says they've been charging for the service for a good while.

I last used them a year or so ago and there was certainly a charge then. 

Bill   :)

I don't thinks so, Warrington Council collected a washing machine for free in September and the lady who I spoke to at Warrington Council said they only started charging just before Christmas.

7 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

If people want their area to look decent and not like Steptoes Yard then forking out a few bob isn't a big deal , all services have a cost involved.

The kind of people that just dump without a thought for where they live? Well they wouldn't pay if it was 50p an item.

Image result for steptoe and son

If your well off £20 is just a few bob if your not then it is a lot.

I was just about to load the oven into the car to take it to the tip when a scrap dealer stopped and offered to take it for me.

Guessing as there is lots of aluminium and other metals in it he will make some money recycling it.

Just now, Latchford Locks said:

£20 is not a kings ransom .. in fact you couldn't get a seat at The Wire these days for less than £25(for just 80 mins watching rugby) so spending less to remove what is at the end of the day Your property that you no longer want is quite reasonable.

Well I suppose you could argue that July was just before Christmas because that's when I last applied to get arm chair and a sofa removed.

The council said it would take several weeks before they could collect so I spent a whole day breaking it up and taking it to the tip but it was hard work and I'd rather have paid them to just take it all away. At least the wood and metal got to be recycled rather than it all go to landfill.

Bill :)

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Well I suppose you could argue that July was just before Christmas because that's when I last applied to get arm chair and a sofa removed.

The council said it would take several weeks before they could collect so I spent a whole day breaking it up and taking it to the tip but it was hard work and I'd rather have paid them to just take it all away. At least the wood and metal got to be recycled rather than it all go to landfill.

It was only white goods that were collected for free, things like furniture and TVs were subject to a charge. I guess we are both right. 

I didn't know that the council now charged to removed white goods either Milky. 
Yes I knew they had always charged for sofas and other household bulky goods but fridges, freezers, washing machines (ie white goods even if they were not actually white) were always taken at no charge. 
Have to admit though that I've never used the service (either paid for or not) as when I did ring last year they said I had to book a specific day for collection and their first available slot was almost 3 weeks away plus they said I also leave my item covered from the elements so it didn't get wet or they wouldn't take it and also had to be put on our drive with full access to the collection team and not left anywhere else .....which is not much use to anyone like me who doesn't have a blummin drive is it lol.

It was ok though cos we managed to cut it all up with a saw, axe and metal grinder and deposited it at the local tip with a few trips in a big 4x4.     I was quite therapeutic battling to chop it up to be honest ha ha.

As for white goods though we took my dads small under counter fridge and freezer to Gateworth Tip in the car but when we bought our new washer, oven etc from the shop that used to be off Manchester Road (was it called Range?) they took the old broken ones away when they delivered the new one for free.    I think a lot of places will actually take your old one away for recycling the same day they deliver a new one now but I could be wrong.  

I think a lot of places will actually take your old one away for recycling the same day they deliver a new one now but I could be wrong.  

You're not wrong Diz, most supply companies offer to do this these days which makes things a lot easier and eliminates fly tipping.

14 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Yes I knew they had always charged for sofas and other household bulky goods but fridges, freezers, washing machines (ie white goods even if they were not actually white) were always taken at no charge. 
Have to admit though that I've never used the service (either paid for or not) as when I did ring last year they said I had to book a specific day for collection and their first available slot was almost 3 weeks away plus they said I also leave my item covered from the elements so it didn't get wet or they wouldn't take it and also had to be put on our drive with full access to the collection team and not left anywhere else .....which is not much use to anyone like me who doesn't have a blummin drive is it lol.

It was ok though cos we managed to cut it all up with a saw, axe and metal grinder and deposited it at the local tip with a few trips in a big 4x4.     I was quite therapeutic battling to chop it up to be honest ha ha.

As for white goods though we took my dads small under counter fridge and freezer to Gateworth Tip in the car but when we bought our new washer, oven etc from the shop that used to be off Manchester Road (was it called Range?) they took the old broken ones away when they delivered the new one for free.    I think a lot of places will actually take your old one away for recycling the same day they deliver a new one now but I could be wrong.  

Range, they closed last century!

Apart from Currys there are no appliance shops left in Warrington, I do not think! 

The wait time for the council was long, I think I used them a couple of times to take away white goods. I have a pebble drive and just covered it with a plastic sheet

2 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

I know Currys do it.They charge £5

It is £15 and most online retailers will charge between £15 and £20 to take away your appliance, John Lewis charges £20, most willl charge for removing packaging too

14 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Apart from Currys there are no appliance shops left in Warrington, I do not think! 

The wait time for the council was long, I think I used them a couple of times to take away white goods. I have a pebble drive and just covered it with a plastic sheet

2 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

I know Currys do it.They charge £5

It is £15 and most online retailers will charge between £15 and £20 to take away your appliance, John Lewis charges £20, most willl charge for removing packaging too

I think it's mainly the fridge freezers that are the issue because of the refrigerants but at least with these, they're not generally too heavy and can be taken to any tip that accept them. Washer driers on the other hand can be seriously heavy but the local scrap dealers will be more than happy to take them away for their scrap value. Last year we replaced a combined washer drier when I did the new kitchen but because it was only two years old a charity shop took it away for us.

3 hours ago, Milky said:

The Range is a massive store on Winwick Road which sells everything you need for the home including white goods.

Not that Range Asp, the one I was talking about was just off Manchester Road opposite the cemetery gates.  Milky is correct though as it did close longer ago than I thought but certainly not last century  as the last thing I bought from there was my washer so maybe a year or two ago.  I was thinking I'd bought my dad's freezer from there last summer but it was from the other similar shop just round the corner from it on marsh house Lane. Silly me. 

I was making the point that, contrary to Milky's assertion that there are no appliance shops in Warrington apart from Curries, there's The Range. Also Martin Dawes, Padgate Appliances on Marsh House Lane (where I got my cooker donkey's years ago) and a few small retailers I've found on Yell. That's before we start on the Internet (AO, Argos etc).

2 hours ago, asperity said:

I was making the point that, contrary to Milky's assertion that there are no appliance shops in Warrington apart from Curries, there's The Range. Also Martin Dawes, Padgate Appliances on Marsh House Lane (where I got my cooker donkey's years ago) and a few small retailers I've found on Yell. That's before we start on the Internet (AO, Argos etc).

A good white appliance outlet would be well suited to the now empty Homebase store on Riverside retail. A good large catchment area going begging.

38 minutes ago, Latchford Locks said:

A good white appliance outlet would be well suited to the now empty Homebase store on Riverside retail. A good large catchment area going begging.

but Homebase couldn't make it work,  why would a fridge shop do any better.   The world is full of people with what they think are great ideas, not many of them have the balls, confidence and courage to try it for themselves, they simply spout away online .  What makes you think a white goods emporium would prosper where others have failed miserably?