Bowling Green

asperity

Supermarkets were selling cheap booze long before the smoking ban came into effect and, while pub numbers have been declining for years, the rate of closures accelerated sharply after the smoking ban came into effect. As a non-smoker these last 28 years I don't have an axe to grind on this one, I was just commenting on yet another business closing down.

Probably a number of reasons, smoking ban, cheap booze, and "their clientele being skint"

"

Ask a publican and stand well back: rising rent, rates, fuel, property, taxation, lower disposable income (thanks to higher household bills and mortgages), the smoking ban, the trend towards wine drinking, and fierce competition from off-licences, newsagents and supermarkets.

Pubs without the room to provide an attractive outside areas for smokers, and those that are not big on food have faced particular difficulties. The move towards spirits and wine has hit the beery pub. Research shows that there has been a marked trend in the rise of "pre-loading", where drinkers, young adults mostly, buy booze from a shop and down it at home before groggily wandering off to a pub or bar, thereby spending less money on binge drinking.

But perhaps the clincher is that we seem to be drinking less overall "

alcohol consumption peaked in 2000 and has fallen every year since. According to the BBPA, average consumption is down 15 per cent on 2000.

Although personally I am drinking the same amount of alcohol as I did in 2000 ie zero

Thanks Baz and I thought that was what it was called but had never really taken much notice as I always thought it was shut down and just waiting for someone to sell/buy it for redevelopment especially as there's a large blob of land just past it which isn't being used for anything too.

Asp ... It does look rather nice from that pic so appologies for saying it was grotty as I've only ever seen it from the Green Street side when standing outside having my sneaky cig (bad habit I know) or driving past towards the island.

How old is it ?  Any idea ?

I have no memory of ever seeing that one.. :unsure:

Cleo it was gone way before your time, it's on the 1890 map below, on the 1851 map (I haven't posted that) it clearly states it as a PH - public house, you can just make it out on this map. Something I never thought of but the bowling green (now behind the present pub) looks to be the origin of the name Sankey Green,?.

bowlinggreen_zps138a3a4d.jpg

I'm confused by that now Algy as isn't the 'bowling green' triangle area shown on your1890's map above now pretty much where the pink island roundabout is now and also the grassed area at the front of Green Street ?

I'm confused by that now Algy as isn't the 'bowling green' triangle area shown on your1890's map above now pretty much where the pink island roundabout is now and also the grassed area at the front of Green Street ?

Not by my reckoning Dizz, if you zoom in on Google Maps the Bowling Green is in the the triangle formed by Powys Street, Green Street and Old Liverpool Rd. more or less the same as it appears on the above 1890 map, but with the new bypass intersecting the triangle.

ScreenShot002_zps8e390f36.jpg

I have no memory of ever seeing that one.. :unsure:

I am sure many  us have had a similar experience - been to a pub and then next day can't remember a thing about it   I know I have :blink:  :P

Re pubs closing - I'm not sure how much difference Osborne's  tinkering with beer duty  will make - might have been better if they differentiated with on and off sales (they manage to do so with VAT on ambient-temperature food)