Hello All

Darren Healy

I lived in Warrington when i was small in Arpley street  then Bold St (behind Leslies electrical shop which amazingly appears to still be there) Before i moved to Scotland in 71 I lived in Hollins Lane Winwick , my parents worked at the hospital .

I'm flying from Manchester in June and intend staying in the Travel Lodge in Warrington so i can have a look around and take some photos to show my Dad (he's nearly 81 now) To be honest i don't have too many memories of Warrington but even though i wasn't born there i still kinda regard it as home .

I'm glad i stumbled upon this forum

Regards

Darren

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum :)

I don't really remember anything about Warrington in 1971 as I was only 7 then, infact the only place I can really remember is the old fish market and the awfull smell.

I bet your dad wont recognise a lot of Warrington now especially around the Town Centre as there have been many changes since the 70's (and sadly not all for the good). 

I don't think Arpley Street and Bold Street have changed much though other than maybe the road layout and a lot of the buildings are now businesses. 

I didn't know the shop you mentioned had been there for that long and it has done well to survive considering it's out of the way and the hustle, bustle and vibrance of the outer streets has long since gone.

You have woken a memory that I had forgotten all about though as I did go in there once about 15 years ago with my mum and I can now suddenly see the look on her face as she virtually dragged me out in a frenzied and embarrassed state because I said (a little too loud) that the lights they sold reminded me of grandmas horrible old glass fruit bowls and it was like being in a time warp and surely people don't buy things like that these days and maybe the shop should be paying people to buy them rather than the other way around ..... unfortunatly the shop assistant heard me too and slammed her book down and glared at us in a rather frightening way. :oops:

I've never dared go back in since then :oops:  :lol:

Enjoy your trip to Warrington and I hope the pictures you take bring back some very fond memories for your dad. 

Darren, Welcome to the forum, if you stick around I will post some old photos of Warrington to show your dad, possibly next week, I have posted them in the past but as you sound as if you have only just discovered us it's doubtfull if you have seen them.

Thanks for the replies . Back then there was a musical instrument shop called Dawsons next door (I think) to Leslies  , my Dad was a drummer and used to demonstrate drum kits for them . He was quite well known and played at a lot of clubs in the area . He was caretaker at the church in Bold Street for a time and our house was up the wee lane beside it . I attended Heathside Infants but i'm not sure exactly where it was .

Though my Dad is Scottish he loved his time in Warrington / Winwick , we talk about it regularly

Darren, Welcome to the forum, if you stick around I will post some old photos of Warrington to show your dad, possibly next week, I have posted them in the past but as you sound as if you have only just discovered us it's doubtfull if you have seen them.

Thanks Algy , we've had a quick tour on Google maps but obviously lots has changed . Is the Swing Bridge still there ? I also remember the soapy water around Thames Board (and the smell)

It would be interesting to know when Leslies was established in Bold Street. I know it was there when I was my dad's little princess so many, many years ago because I remember seeing it on occasions when I was taken to see the doctor, also in Bold Street.

JUST FOUND THIS -

It was in 1946 when Ken Leslie began selling light fittings in partnership with Sydney Braithwaite at their shop on Wilderspool Causeway in Warrington, Cheshire. After 3 years trading under the Braithwaite & Leslie name, Ken took sole ownership of the business and in 1952 moved premises to 10 Bold Street in Warrington town centre where, to this day, you can still find us.

So 61 years they have been there. Good going in this day and age. Seems they also trade on ebay.

Dawons is still in Warrington Darren  but on Sankey Street just around the corner from Bold Street.  I never knew it started out in Bold Street all those years ago as I only ever remember it being in it's present location  and boy have I spent some money in there over the years.

There was a topic a whole ago about Heathside School on here and I;ll try and find it for you.

Thanks Algy , we've had a quick tour on Google maps but obviously lots has changed . Is the Swing Bridge still there ? I also remember the soapy water around Thames Board (and the smell)

The ship canal swing bridges are still working although not much shipping in the canal nowadays, Thames Board is long gone and the foam water with it, the river Mersey has cleaned up with angling clubs fishing the river above Latchford Weir, I must admit when I was much younger I could never forsee that happening.

Dawons is still in Warrington Darren  but on Sankey Street just around the corner from Bold Street.  I never knew it started out in Bold Street all those years ago as I only ever remember it being in it's present location  and boy have I spent some money in there over the years.

There was a topic a whole ago about Heathside School on here and I;ll try and find it for you.

Sorry i think it was Sankey street after consulting good old Google maps . I recall Heathside had a big wall with a gate and possibly had a railway viaduct next to it ?

The ship canal swing bridges are still working although not much shipping in the canal nowadays,

More than enough still going down the canal from what I see daily Agly :wink:  Infact some are travelling later in the evenings than they used to do too... maybe they are testing peoples hearing  :wink: 

The ship canal swing bridges are still working although not much shipping in the canal nowadays, Thames Board is long gone and the foam water with it, the river Mersey has cleaned up with angling clubs fishing the river above Latchford Weir, I must admit when I was much younger I could never forsee that happening.

The bridge had a basket that move up or down to show the bridge was about to open . Didn't Thames Board have cricket pitches next to it ?

The part between Warrington & Winwick appears quite built up now ? I remember there being White City but not much else between Warrington and the footbridege near Delph Hospital ?

The bridge had a basket that move up or down to show the bridge was about to open . Didn't Thames Board have cricket pitches next to it ?

The part between Warrington & Winwick appears quite built up now ? I remember there being White City but not much else between Warrington and the footbridege near Delph Hospital ?

Hello Darren. I think the bridge had 2 baskets ,the idea being to tell the public which way the ship was travelling which was totally irrelevant when you were sat there cursing because the bridge was blocking your way. I think Heathside school was where the new bus station is now but at the end near to the law courts.I think White City is still there but the hospital is now a " prestige housing development". There is now another hospital behind the original called Hollins Park, & i believe the old Delph Hospital is now a private nursing home.

Darren

If your visit is just a stopover to somewhere else and you've got limited time here, I'd be quite happy to give you a quick tour of the town so that you can take some pictures of your families old haunts. I've done this several times in the past for people wanting to bring back some memories of the past so just let me know the dates nearer the time.

Bill :) 

Hello Darren. I think the bridge had 2 baskets ,the idea being to tell the public which way the ship was travelling which was totally irrelevant when you were sat there cursing because the bridge was blocking your way. I think Heathside school was where the new bus station is now but at the end near to the law courts.I think White City is still there but the hospital is now a " prestige housing development". There is now another hospital behind the original called Hollins Park, & i believe the old Delph Hospital is now a private nursing home.

Google maps streetview is a handy tool for having a look around , obviously i remember Winwick more than Warrington but there are a few things that have stuck in my mind over the years . It was actually my wifes idea to stay over and have a nose around , i'm really looking forward to it now

Darren

If your visit is just a stopover to somewhere else and you've got limited time here, I'd be quite happy to give you a quick tour of the town so that you can take some pictures of your families old haunts. I've done this several times in the past for people wanting to bring back some memories of the past so just let me know the dates nearer the time.

Bill :)

Thanks for that Bill , i'll bear that in mind

Take Bill up on his offer Darren, this time last year I spent a week at the Premier on Chester Road, my feet are still throbbing, I walked for miles.

I'm not stalking you Darren, but, a Darren Healy popped up on the - whatever you call it, photo headings, as an owl on the Warrington School Photos, - are you actually visiting Warrington from Scotland or Alabama?  Or are there two of you?