End of double dip rececession?

Gary

Driving into work today the headline news was that the double dip recession has come to an end.

Just wondering what our readers think?

How are things for you?

If you run your own business - are things picking up?

Do you sense more optimism out there?

Funny how all the good news comes out between August and October. Unemployment, inflation, the RPI and CPI. Is it a coincidence that Benefit payments and Pensions are based on figures announced at this time.

I suspect that growth will fall back again during the next quarter.

Of course. Isn't that why Gordon liked PFI so much - the figures were kept "off the books" as it were. Inflation figures are massaged by adding or subtracting items from the list depending on what effect they might have. Employment figures are always being fiddled.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really think that our government would massage the figures in this way Wolfie? Surely they wouldn't be so dishonest. /sarc on

Well surprise, surprise, the rate of Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation rose to 2.7% in October, up from 2.2% the month before (the month that pensions and benefits are based on). :roll: :roll:

I think Gary was being a bit optimistic to think this wouldn’t end up as anything but a government knocking exercise and now, even though I’m answering his question, I feel like I’m almost hijacking the thread. :P

I have a pretty good indicator of how the economy’s going by monitoring the activity of all the taxi companies I look after. If people have no money or are apprehensive about job security then they don’t go out quite as much and you can see this in the figures. There’s typically just over half a million jobs being dispatched each week and this is about 8% down on the same time period two years ago. It’s not all evenly spread out though because while most seem to hunker down and try to survive, I see others bucking the trend and doing considerably better.

The recession hasn’t impacted at all on my business and if anything, it’s brought in more work because people are being a lot more careful to make sure they don’t end up paying for an overpriced product. So it’s been a busy year, we’ve all worked our socks off but on the plus side I can now afford to give the lads the pay rise that they didn’t get last year.

Bill :)

I think Gary was being a bit optimistic to think this wouldn’t end up as anything but a government knocking exercise and now, even though I’m answering his question, I feel like I’m almost hijacking the thread. :P

I was simply asking questions of fellow posters without trying to show any optimism as I am interested to see how others are being affected - in a positive or negative way to try and get a balanced view :wink::D

Yep it’s interesting how people react when the news turns gloomy.

Mrs G said when they announced the recession that we’ve got to cut down on things, even though my job is as secure as it gets and I wasn’t expecting any pay cuts. Seems to me that the more we hear of recession from the media the worse it gets. Let’s just hope that there’s more good news in the coming months so people like my wife start to feel a bit more positive.