Fresh Fish door knockers doing the rounds

Dizzy

Probably ok but .....

( 12.30 pm)Just had a knock on the door and it was some guy saying he was selling fresh fish to 'me and my neighbours'. I wouldn't have opened the door if my son hadn't been here.

The bloke had an irish accent, a couple of missing teeth, neck tattoo's and was wearing black 'tracky syle' clothing. He looked and sounded very dodgy and my son said there were two others with him who walked past as he knocked on our door and they both looking equally 'odd'.

They had no bags although we did notice a white transit drive past a few minutes later, no idea if that was theirs.

Only telling people as there was something about them that was odd and they aren't the gyppos from the site around here as they don't sound or look like that.

Paranoia over :oops:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably ok but .....

( 12.30 pm)Just had a knock on the door and it was some guy saying he was selling fresh fish to 'me and my neighbours'. I wouldn't have opened the door if my son hadn't been here.

The bloke had an irish accent, a couple of missing teeth, neck tattoo's and was wearing black 'tracky syle' clothing. He looked and sounded very dodgy and my son said there were two others with him who walked past as he knocked on our door and they both looking equally 'odd'.

They had no bags although we did notice a white transit drive past a few minutes later, no idea if that was theirs.

Only telling people as there was something about them that was odd and they aren't the gyppos from the site around here as they don't sound or look like that.

Paranoia over :oops:

Dizz, As Mrs algy and myself are now creeping on in years we no longer go straight to the door and open it, we detour to a front window and if we don't recognise the person at the door we crack the window open to the safety catch and see what they want, these so called safety chains are a waste of time as a well aimed boot will pull the retaining screws out of the door or frame. You really can't be too careful in this day and age.

:lol::lol: ha ha, suppose there's no point in me changing the title now unless I just do it to make you look daft too :P

You make light though Lt K but believe me the bloke was very scruffy and grubby looking too as were the others apparently. I politely and rather hurridly just said to him "I don't like fish" after I'd finally understood what he was saying ......

Not often that 'door knocker' people leave me feeling a tad uneasy and we get a lot :unsure:

Good advice Algy and to be honest I always look through the window too but then I still go to the door to answer. Mmmm that's a bit daft eh.

This time my son looked and he said to me "it's some right grot" and he was going to answer and I said 'stand near the hall door while I do it'.

Mother's instinct in protecting her 'young' I suppose :lol::oops:

From now it it's small window chat like you suggest

Don't quote me, but I think you will find they are o.k. They called on us this morning (although we didn't buy anything) but I think we had a "cold call" prior to this about a week or so ago asking whether we were interested. We weren't. They had a white transit van loaded with fish, and they are probably just a couple of blokes trying to earn a bob or two. Worth having a look in the van next time to make sure, but don't leave house unattended! If buying fish by weight, check their scales!

Not all us Irish are dodgy Dizzy :shock: :shock: Mind you this lot sounded a bit fishy :blink: :blink:

So your Irish then asperity? Come into the parlour lad. I've known a few Irish people in my life and they have been some of the nicest people I've known, even if I had trouble understanding what one or two of them were saying sometimes. :wink::):):)

I would call Warrington Trading Standards and get them checked out.

These door step sales peop[le are just the types that carry out distraction burglaries and sell out of date crap that will probably poison you.

The TS do a consumer watch telephone warning and text message service. I subscribe to it but haven't heard anything about door to door fishermen!

Used to be a mobile butcher that came round a few years back but never had a mobile fish van.

mind you Mrs sid is allergic to certain fish so not a great deal of fish eaten in our house.

as for me it either comes wrapped in batter from the local chippy or in the form of fish fingers or fish sticks. (often wondered what a fish hand looks like given the shape of the fingers). :blink:

I would call Warrington Trading Standards and get them checked out.

These door step sales peop[le are just the types that carry out distraction burglaries and sell out of date crap that will probably poison you.

The TS do a consumer watch telephone warning and text message service. I subscribe to it but haven't heard anything about door to door fishermen!

They are not fishermen, they already have the fish and selling it. That makes them fishmongers, or maybe they are just mongers. :unsure::lol::lol::lol: