Moore Lane swing bridge - Movie 'Yanks'

algy

I have just uploaded a clip to You Tube from the 1979 movie 'Yanks' starring Richard Gere & Lisa Eichhorn.

The clip shows the couple by the side of the Manchester Ship canal in Moss Lane Moore in between Warrington and Runcorn, there is a view of Moore Lane swing bridge with another view of Fiddlers Ferry Power Station in the distance, unfortunate really as the film is set in the mid 1940's whereas the power station was built in 1971. The countryside across the canal is now a Nature reserve.

Sorry I didn't cut the 'sloppy' bits out but left them in for Dizz and Co. :wink::D :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgItqLaYnWs

I think there was another view of the power station looking through the windows of a train in the same film.

I seem to remember watching it on a website about film bloopers many years ago, along with the jumbo jet in the background of a film about cavemen, I think it was 1 million years BC or something similar.

No obs, I am probably being a bit too critical, perhaps because I know the area so well, incidentally Duponts depot can be seen to the right of the swing bridge, roughly where the new 'Port Warrington' will be, if it ever happens!.

I believe the flock of sheep belonged to Percy Lear and I seem to remember someone on here mentioned in the past that they thought he never did get paid for providing them, knowing Percy I can't believe that!.

• 2 weeks later...

No obs, I am probably being a bit too critical, perhaps because I know the area so well, incidentally Duponts depot can be seen to the right of the swing bridge, roughly where the new 'Port Warrington' will be, if it ever happens!.

I believe the flock of sheep belonged to Percy Lear and I seem to remember someone on here mentioned in the past that they thought he never did get paid for providing them, knowing Percy I can't believe that!.

My dad was the Valveman that (the guy who swings the bridge)

I also meant to say that the chap stood on the bridge whilst it swang was John Davenport.

The Oxford English Dictionary gives swang as the past tense of swing but with the note "rarely", preferring swung.

I didn't say it was popular, I intimated that the word is 'usable' in the English language if one so wishes to use it! :wink::D :grin: :D

Swang is a perfectly acceptable alternative to swung and is derived from scottish/northern england dialects.

A word that I was dragged up with and one that seems perfectly fine to me.

e.g. the swinger swang on the swing sounds less clumsy to me than the swinger swung on the swing.

Swang is a perfectly acceptable alternative to swung and is derived from scottish/northern england dialects.

A word that I was dragged up with and one that seems perfectly fine to me.

e.g. the swinger swang on the swing sounds less clumsy to me than the swinger swung on the swing.

hadn't sussed that you were a swinger. :shock::blink: