The quality of postings on here, compared with.......

Nick Tessla

I just wanted to say that, with a few exceptions * ,the postings on here do seem of a somewhat higher order than many of those on the w***i***** ***r***n.

(Felt the need to say it after a recent exchenge I have had on that other site :rolleyes: )

* Yes I am well aware that some would say my postings are among those exceptions :(:wink::D

Nicks on about the replies & comments on the Guardian’s news reports section rather than their forum. That part of their on line stuff does seem quite active but at times it does get a bit heated possibly due to the different content and style of news reporting. Comments don’t seem to be vetted very closely if at all with the result that unsavoury stuff sometimes remains visible for too long before they eventually lock the topic.

Bill :)

Well, I must hold my hand up and admit that I have reported several abusive postings on that site and had them removed and comments closed. The latest was the topic that was taken over by a group of racists, :|

I do like to read the reader's comments and maybe add a comment of my own but you do get some morons on there who can only abuse and ridicule anyone who disagrees with their views. :angry:

Nicks on about the replies & comments on the Guardian’s news reports section rather than their forum. That part of their on line stuff does seem quite active but at times it does get a bit heated possibly due to the different content and style of news reporting. Comments don’t seem to be vetted very closely if at all with the result that unsavoury stuff sometimes remains visible for too long before they eventually lock the topic.

Thanks Bill, I'm happy now!. :)

Cleo

Yes it’s a very different clientele over there but it raises an interesting point as to whether the comments there are more reflective of the society we live in. I’d bet that the average age of the people commenting would be a whole lot younger than it is here so maybe the lack of respect shown for other people's point of view shouldn’t surprise us.

I think I raise the average age on there quite a bit on the few occasions I comment now. My main gripe with it was that they often used my comments, not only out of context but sometimes weeks after I'd posted them on the letters page of the printed paper. Nothing "real" has been posted in the forum for more than two months now.