Comparisons?

observer

Well come on... we are close to them identifying the "god" particle and yet these religious nut cases will still have us believe that some big bloke in the sky created everything in 7 days and that we should live by some pre-primeval laws which were made up by some bloke who had had a bad day!

Look what is going on around the world in the name of religion..... the religious folks say that they are all peaceful types and yet there are equally religious folks strapping bombs to their arses and blowing up kids in market places....

Look what is going on around the world in the name of religion..... the religious folks say that they are all peaceful types and yet there are equally religious folks strapping bombs to their arses and blowing up kids in market places....

But they would argue that it is not what you do in this life but in the next that counts. Many a religious zealot will gladly take your life if they believed it would save your immortal soul in the next life.

You may note though that it is never the bloke advocating this sort of action that actually takes part in it.

As for the archbishop what he said and what he meant are probably quite different. Rather than antics he should probably have said motives which would have made more sense. The antics used by each were different but the motives were more than likely the same GREED.

(by the way I must say that I do not condone violence used for any purpose except in defence of ones own life)

[quote name='Evil Sid' (by the way I must say that I do not condone violence used for any purpose except in defence of ones own life)

And that is what is said in the Qu'ran.

Do not take life, which Allah has made sacred, except through justice and the law. He orders this so that you may acquire wisdom" (6:151) and, "Do not take life, which Allah has made sacred, except for a just cause. If anyone is killed unjustly, We allow his heir (to seek justice) but do not allow him to exceed bounds when it comes to taking life, for he is helped (by the law)" (17:33).

According to the Qu'ran, killing a person unjustly is the same as killing all of humanity, and saving a person is the same as saving all humanity. (5:32.)

Allah permits the killing of somebody to save your own life if you are in imminent danger of being killed by that person but if that person turns away from killing you, you must leave him go in peace and not kill him.

Regarding suicide bombers and the like. They may at one time have been good muslims from good muslim families but......

People are like sheep and will follow any leader, their minds, generally, are mallable and they will believe anything they are told by anyone if they are easy to relinquish their own common sense and beliefs. Bin Laden had a grudge against America and wanted to destroy America and her peoples but he couldn't do it himself because he knew if he attempted to do so he would soon be caught and destroyed himself. So what he did was to recruit other people to his cause. He played around with their minds, brainwashed them into believing that they must destroy, kill, americans and anyone else non-muslim, enemies of Allah and Islam, otherwise they (the enemy) would destroy them.

Allah forbids the killing of any children and innocent people.

Allah forbids the killing of any children and innocent people.

but what is a good muslim? In your eyes Cleo, it is one who follows the words and teachings of Allah...

in the eyes of the "radical" muslims they are doing what Allah wants and killing anyone that stands in their way and you are the one who is wrong.....

Christians are the same.... in fact all religions are; one lot of followers interprets the words one way, the next lot the other way.... that is why people of the same religion turn against each other.... and if two people following the same religion can't agree, what bloody hope is there??

but what is a good muslim? In your eyes Cleo, it is one who follows the words and teachings of Allah...

in the eyes of the "radical" muslims they are doing what Allah wants and killing anyone that stands in their way and you are the one who is wrong.....

And I have already illustrated why that is so. No point in adding to my previous post except to say that all good muslims condemn the actions of the brainwashed radicals who are just a tiny fraction of the muslim movement. So all muslims should not be tarred with the same brush.

One thing is for certain - come the final day all people of all religions and even non-believers will unite in calling upon Allah/God to have mercy upon them!

Well, looking around the world; it would seem that religious zealots are the main cause of all the friction; from the US bible belt, to Ulster sectarians, to Jewish zealots, to Sunnis V Shias, Hindus V Muslims; all in the name of their Gods and mystical beliefs. One doesn't need religion to have a moral compass, just a rational mind. :(

Algy,

Forgive me. With due respect, the barneys when the Irish Club was at Bank street/ Buttermarket street were more spectacular. Fair fights though, with no hard feelings. (the Orford Lane Irish club is up-market by comparison. They were the old Irish labourers of no fixed abode and often spent the night in shop doorways.

I don't drink but think they are lager fights these days rather than the old fashioned stuff.

Happy days

Algy,

Forgive me. With due respect, the barneys when the Irish Club was at Bank street/ Buttermarket street were more spectacular. Fair fights though, with no hard feelings. (the Orford Lane Irish club is up-market by comparison. They were the old Irish labourers of no fixed abode and often spent the night in shop doorways.

I don't drink but think they are lager fights these days rather than the old fashioned stuff.

Happy days

Harry I would think that you had good reason to remember the scraps and probably broke a good few up, is the old rumour true that the bobby would stand back until they had sorted themselves out then 'pick up the bits' at the end of the fracas. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

is the old rumour true that the bobby would stand back until they had sorted themselves out then 'pick up the bits' at the end of the fracas.

maybe then, now they prefer the "call about 60 of their biggest mates as backup" and wade in and kick some heads.... and then charge the injured with assaulting a police officer!! :D

Absolutely. 1955. The pillar at Market Gate flashed and told us there was a big fight at Davies's cafe, nr Central station. I was being shown round by a senior bobby. I was "on my way" when his large arm struck across my chest. He said, more or less just what you said Obs.

When we made our steady way down it was easy peasy to sort the miscreants out. My grand-mother could have done it.

As a general rule, if just two men are fighting and you get there too early they will both turn on you, so discretion is--------------

I may have mentioned this before, but in pre radio days you had to think on your feet cos almost certainly no help would be forthcoming.

Happy days