What is happening here?.

algy

That looks to be market gate? judging by the building on the right

so I'm guessing it is for putting tram tracks down?

Looking towards Central Station at a guess.

So looking at that picture, were the buildings at the right built ready to knock down the row in the middle? Almost like joined up thinking if that is the case; something the councillors of today have no comprehension of! :D

Baz it is Market Gate and no not for laying down tram lines.

Dizz, the timber is to stabilise the old Maypole Dairy building on the right, you can see to the right and behind the old building they have built the new Maypole Dairy Building,not the answer were looking for though.

Ok... so widening of Bridge Street then.... and to make space for the skittles in years to come ?

No, part of the project was to widen the roads but that was only one aspect of this exercise.

Skittles were not even close to this ambitious plan that never came to it's full fruition!. :roll:

They were making space to construct the first roundabout.

oops no, that can't be it.

Correct Cleo, in the late 19th century it was decided by the council that they would create a ‘circus’ in the form of a large island flanked by imposing and elegant facades, the project never fully materialised, I think they ran out of finance.

Yes Bill looking down Buttermarket Street, the false arch was further down about where the Odeon was (much later of course).

so the curved building on the right was built in order to allow the one in front to be knocked down?

I am also assuming that the same curved building is the one where boots opticians used to be and the one where the hosiers is on the photo which was Thomas Cooks and also the Pizza restaraunt hasn't been built yet?

so the curved building on the right was built in order to allow the one in front to be knocked down?

I am also assuming that the same curved building is the one where boots opticians used to be and the one where the hosiers is on the photo which was Thomas Cooks and also the Pizza restaraunt hasn't been built yet?

You got it Baz. :D

So Algy, did the new Maypole dairy become Jackson's The Tailors ?

Stall, Jackson's was in Sankey Street as I had a suit made there in 1959 it was the shop next to Woolworth's.

Rotating around the island at Market Gate the shops in 1950-55 were:-

Between-

Horsemarket Street & Buttermarket Street - Burton's the Tailor's.

Buttermarket Street & Bridge Street - Long's Sweets & Tobacco Shop. Maypole Dairy. Woodhouses Furniture Store.

Bridge Street & Sankey street - Boot's Chemist.

Sankey Street & Horsemarket Street - Army & Navy Stores, Metro Cleaners.

The shops bteween Sankey Streey & Horsemarket Street were the ones that were not built in the style of the others and the reason the 'Circus' was incomplete.