Ageing squad is a worry

Despite our current rollercoaster ride to(hopefully) Wembley and Old Trafford the news that Morley and Briers are out for a couple of weeks seems to be something that with our "mature" squad is bound to happen more and more.

I'm sure we can go for a couple of seasons but by then our lynch pins of Briers/Morley/Hodgson will be ending their careers along with several others.

This along with Kings decision to go home worries me that in a very short time we could be sliding back to mid table mediocrity.

I do hope Tonys multiple plans(A B C D) are well on the road to completion as we need to start now and not wait until the cracks really start to show up.

Like a grandmaster chess player I should think Mr Smith is thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead. I for one would trust him implicitly with the future of the club. A good example would be the signing of Trent Waterhouse for which he must have made his move months ago yet when interviewed by Gaz he gave nothing away. He never gives anything away in interviews and only after it's announced by the club does he make his comments. He's a Rolls Royce of a coach compared with the Austin 7's we've had before. Mozzer has started to look and play his age the last couple of weeks and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at the end of the season. The Exiles game seemed to have put years on him.

I think you are way wide of the mark in terms of Morley and retirement. I fully expect him to play again in 2012.

Granted he is nearing the end of his career and I dont think he will be playing every week next year but he still has an impact especially when fresh.

Im sure 2012 will be his last year at Warrington though, whether its the last of his career is anyones guess.

In respect of the other ageing players, Im hoping our youth policy will start to pay off in the next couple of years and hope to see a number of exceptional youngsters coming through the ranks.

Mozzer has started to look and play his age the last couple of weeks and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at the end of the season. The Exiles game seemed to have put years on him.

I thought the same.... then just thought I was being paranoid but now you have confirmed my suspicions.

I thought the same.... then just thought I was being paranoid but now you have confirmed my suspicions.

He hasn't been the player this season that he was in previous years, although has just been named in the Super leaguer Dream Team!!

He'll come back refreshed after his rest and I'm sure will be firing on all cylinders for the remainder of the season.

Next year will be his last, and I can see Woody being the starting prop next year with Carvell and Mozza being more of an impact player.

Potentially might not see Morley playing again from what i'm hearing.

Reoccurence of an old injury may bring about an early end to his playing career. Fingers crossed that this is not the case and the outcome for him is good news.

Fingers and toes crossed :blink:

Fingers and toes crossed :blink:

I think that you are over emphasising things there. Moz will certainly be missed, but we have the players to cover the absence of both him and Lee Briers, which is something we haven't been able to say in the past. At Cas last week I was impressed with Mike Cooper for the first time in ages. He showed plenty of go forward and lots of aggression (and I don't mean the fight). We have a good squad and we can cover absences.

I think that you are over emphasising things there. Moz will certainly be missed, but we have the players to cover the absence of both him and Lee Briers, which is something we haven't been able to say in the past. At Cas last week I was impressed with Mike Cooper for the first time in ages. He showed plenty of go forward and lots of aggression (and I don't mean the fight). We have a good squad and we can cover absences.

You are right of course, but I think we are a better side with Briers and Mozza than without :rolleyes:

Yes, you're right, but as regards Moz just look at the way Carvell, Westwood and Woody are playing at the moment. With Louis back this week there's also the opportunity to use Ben Harrison in the Morley role, which I think will give Benny a chance to do what he's best at, absolutely smashing the opposition in defence.

Yes, you're right, but as regards Moz just look at the way Carvell, Westwood and Woody are playing at the moment. With Louis back this week there's also the opportunity to use Ben Harrison in the Morley role, which I think will give Benny a chance to do what he's best at, absolutely smashing the opposition in defence.

WE'll need the pack to be firing on all cylinders this week to contain Hudds - in both matches we've played them this year they have done us up front and that formed the basis of their 2 comfortable victories!! :P

Can Gary find out what the score is in regards to Morley.

These rumours are rife and Wolfette has some impeccable sources.

Thanks for your confidence in me :)

I doubt Gary would be able to find out at this stage as Moz dosen't find out for sure himself, til at least the end of this week.

If you look at the tape vs St Helens again the camera focuses towards the end of the match a couple of times on Adrian Morley and he looks as if his mind is a million miles away. At the end of the game he just stands up and shakes hands with Tony Smith and his face looks completely blank. There was something definitely weighing heavily upon his mind.

Thanks for your confidence in me :)

I doubt Gary would be able to find out at this stage as Moz dosen't find out for sure himself, til at least the end of this week.

Its a pleasure. I know you are well connected :wink:

Its obvious that they suspect the worst and are awaiting exact diagnoses.

As safers said I think Morley himself might have known during and after the Saints game that something was seriously amiss.

If there is any possible risk of him having permanent and serious damage to his head/neck if he was continue playing them he will have to retire.

Very sad but the guy has got to put himself and his family first.

According to the BBC web site, Morley has rubbished claims that he's about to retire!

"I've heard the rumours myself and I can categorically deny them. "I've had a pretty bad bang on the head but it's just concussion - that's all."

He continued: "When I got to the game on Friday there was people saying 'commiserations on the injury and well done on a great career - I believe you're retiring'.

"I'm not sure where it's come from - I've not missed many games with injury and maybe its because I've missed two games on the bounce, I'm not sure.

"You get knocks in rugby league all the time, I'm confident I'll be back to 100% fitness and so are all the medical staff and all the coaches."

Warrington travel to the Stoop on Saturday, followed by their crucial Challenge Cup quarter-final with Wigan on 23 July.

"Fingers crossed I'll be back this week," Morley added. "I'm slowly improving so I'd love to get out there at the weekend and get a bit of match fitness."