Meat glue

?Meat glue? is transglutaminase, an enzyme in powder form, derived from beef and pork blood plasma.

The meat industry?s dirty little secret. It?s ?meat glue.? It makes pieces of beef, lamb, chicken or fish that would normally be thrown out stick together so closely that it looks like a solid piece of meat.

Restaurants and butchers can now sell their scraps as premium meat. Good way to use them up ? and charge premium prices for them too. Best of all, you don?t have to tell the customer. Once the glued meat is cooked, even professional butchers can?t tell the difference.

:shock:

?Meat glue? is transglutaminase, an enzyme in powder form, derived from beef and pork blood plasma.

The meat industry?s dirty little secret. It?s ?meat glue.? It makes pieces of beef, lamb, chicken or fish that would normally be thrown out stick together so closely that it looks like a solid piece of meat.

Restaurants and butchers can now sell their scraps as premium meat. Good way to use them up ? and charge premium prices for them too. Best of all, you don?t have to tell the customer. Once the glued meat is cooked, even professional butchers can?t tell the difference.

:shock:

Thank you Mary. On the ball as usual. :wink:

Yeuch..... put me right of my steak has that.

Is it only in meat that is cooked before you get it ie in resteraunts or pre cooked meals rather than uncooked meat that you buy to cook yourself :? Sorry if it's a daft question :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

I have long suspected something of that kind in McDonald's McRibs. Recently my caregiver brought me six Pork Ribs without bones, yet shaped as if there were rib bones. They were well covered with a barbecue sauce, so they were palate-able, but I probably wouldn't have scarfed them without plenty of sauce distraction.

It is best we do not analyze or overthink about what we are ingesting. Or, maybe... no... let it be.

Any problems would depend on what the meat glue is composed of. It's probably not the worst chemical additive in our food.

One to really worry about would be Ractopamine hydrochloride used to fatten cattle and swine, this can cause you to become fat, bald and shrink your testicles! :shock:

It's now been banned in the European Union but it's still in use in at least 22 other countries.

So if you're holidaying further afield than the EU Baz it might be best to stick to a veggie diet.

Or is it already too late? :shock::wink::lol::lol::lol: