More white lines

vic

On the Church Street/Mersey Street roundabout.

went round it yesterday and drivers not realising that they aren't supposed to drive on the hatched lines.... had a guy driving up the inside of me all over the white lines when I was about to turn left from the proper road bit........so was he!!!

I wish the council wouldn't bugger about like this; esopecially when half of the drivers don't obey the new lines and half do..... it is a receipe for disaster!

What I'd like to know is who's making these decissions about all these lane restrictions, central govenment of our local council. :?:roll:

Also, dosn't It seems odd that at a time when everyone's suppost to be tightening their belts, we still manage to find the money for schemes like this.

Bill :)

I ignore tend them most of the time as well but it'd be interesting to see what the police would have to say if they caught us. :oops:

Its much the same when they tinker with lane marking that try to tell us what lane we should be in. I was always told that when tuning right you kept right until passing the exit before the one you want then indicate left and move across with care. Now we have lane markings that put you in the left hand lane far too early and that seem to be at odds with how most were taught to drive.

The thing is with roundabout you do have to be carefull but as Baz rightly points out if you have two sets people with differing ideas of whats right and wrong it's going to end in an accident. Best to leave well alone.

I drove past there yesterday too and like already said people were all over the place and on the hatched areas too. Maybe th council should have put up temporary signs saying 'CHANGED ROAD MARKINGS' so that people know as they are approaching rather than to just find out that the road area they usually use is now hatched or a different lane.

They have changed the road markings on Brian Bevan Island near the bus depot too but that is a lot better and will hopefully stop the idiots in the left lane suddenly bearing right towards Chester Road.

They have changed the road markings on Brian Bevan Island near the bus depot too but that is a lot better and will hopefully stop the idiots in the left lane suddenly bearing right towards Chester Road.

Just been for a swim at the Village....... it doesn't stop them Dizzy!!!!

Mind you a big silver car with a very loud horn has a better effect!!

I agree with Observer

the white lines are a waste of valuable road space and seem to have been devised by someone in an ivory tower.

WBC could save a fortune if they stopped hatching and signed the road bumps perhaps when they are sued for damage caused by illegally marked bumps them they will get some sense

Well that's the way I was taught to do it and also the way it was shown in my copy of the highway code.

But you got me wondering so I Googled it and come up with this from the safe motoring website.

The correct way of making a right turn at a roundabout.

(1) Indicate right and approach the roundabout in the right-hand lane.

(2) Keep to the right-hand lane on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout.

(3) Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one that you.

Might be just as well you don't use the same roads as me Victor! :lol:

Ah Ah. Just spotted Vic and Victor are two different people.

Vics on a roundabout and Victors on a road.

Bill wrote :-

I was always told that when tuning right you kept right until passing the exit before the one you want then indicate left and move across with care.

Glad I drive on different roads to you Bill.

I think you need to look at your response again Victor because that is the way we were all taught to drive around a roundabout. Keep over to the middle until you wish to leave and then move across to the left..... what is wrong with that?

And that's the point: these hatch areas confound that manouevre. EG. coming out of Battersby Lane to turn right towards Pinners Brow - normally, one should indicate right and proceed along the RIGHT HAND lane, then indicate left to move over to the left just before the exit. BUT: The hatched area now prevents that, and when those stupid part time lights are in operation, you get a queue of traffic backing up right around the Island, thus preventing anyone getting onto the Island in the first place. Someone at the Highways Dept is having a laugh - probably a lycra cyclist. :twisted:

What I'd like to know is who's making these decisions about all these lane restrictions, central government or our local council. :?:roll:

Also, doesn't It seems odd that at a time when everyone's supposed to be tightening their belts, we still manage to find the money for schemes like this.

One of the issues about the local coalition (and the lack of old-style committees) is that these things seem to be down to officers' whims with no-one asking why or how much.

I was googling for the theoretical "improvement" in traffic flow but all I could find was http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/news/local/victory_new_hatchings_to_go_1_2021638

Frankly, while hatching to reduce a normal two-lane roundabout to one lane is probably safer, there is no way it cannot but reduce traffic flow and therefore increase congestion, especially when exits get blocked. (If one exit ahead is blocked, does it then become "necessary" under the Highway Code to cross the hatchings to use a free exit?)

Yes it?s an interesting issue as to who makes the decisions. As far as I?m aware, the unelected road-planning department is in part to blame IMO because they have to justify their existence. The councillors rubber-stamp their decisions because they regard them as experts and therefore can?t be argued with or questioned.

I?ve crossed swords with planners in the past and they argue they?re simply carrying out the plans of central governments at the local level, in other words ?I?m just doing my job.? The job must pay well that?s all I can say because I wouldn?t do a job that involved knowingly doing something against the public?s wishes.

The whole road usage issue is a gradual drip drip of changes that over time seem to be taking us backwards rather than forwards. I drive down some roads these days and remember driving on better roads in some third world countries and I find this annoying.

Having set the hare running, I had a look this a.m. and I can see what the aim is. Half-term so not the best time to judge, but the entry signage off Church Street and Dial Street are changed so left lane is left turn only. If most traffic is turning left (as seems the case), but gets stuck in congestion on Mersey Street or Fennel Street respectively, this leaves the outside lane clearer for traffic to Dial Street and Church Street; the hatchings may make it a bit more likely that traffic queued on the roundabout might leave a gap for those movements. The downside is that traffic turning right Church Street to Fennel Street or Dial Street to Mersey Street may get stuck in the congestion and block what is now the one lane also for traffic going into Dial Street or Church Street respectively.

It's still two lanes on the main route through the roundabout (A49 Mersey Street / Fennel Street).

Waiting for that one Fats; the "yellow" hatched areas at junctions are designed to stop Richard Heads from blocking said junction, so have a logical purpose - the closure of traffic lanes doesn't avoid grid lock, it causes it. OK Jock! :wink:

But that doesn't entitle you to cherry pick, wooleyback. :wink:

Obs.... if you came up the inside and bumped my car while you were driving on hatched lines, I'd drag you out of your car and feed you up your exhaust pipe with that kind of attitude!

I don't particularly agree with 20mph limits, but I reckon I was one of the few who actually did 20 down Long Lane despite how many time on here I said it was a pathetic speed limit to have on such a road.

Sometimes you just have to do as you are told otherwise you get into trouble!