Student protests -

observer

no..... and nor should it

just because a mob of the great unwashed decide to have a tantrum and smash up things because they will have to pay for their education instead of spending the money on iphones, holidays to Kos and beer, makes them just criminals.

Of course all of the NUS are saying that the demonstration was taken over by anarchists et al, but seeing as the beardy swampy lookalike who admitted throwing the fire extinguisher off the roof was actually a student.... sort of dampens that argument somewhat.

He should never be allowed near a university again

I actually had some sympathy with the students until I saw and read about these, and the earlier, protests.

Anyone who thinks marching with banners makes any difference clearly lacks the intelligence necessary to benefit from a university education anyway.

I know all about the arguments that it is a minority that cause the trouble, but it should be obvious to anyone that so-called "peaceful" marches are always taken over by a minority. Even if they were not, what good does marching peacefully do?

Many head teachers have, apparently, organised debates in schools, with resolutions, petitions, etc, to send to MPs, Ministers, the press, etc. This is the CIVILISED way to protest. It may not, in the end, be any more successful than marching but at least it will not alienate people like myself who would otherwise support their cause.

Incidentlaly, do we have any students on this forum? Voicing their opinion here would be another way of making their point.

Just as sports clubs have to police their events and take responsibility for the behaviour of their fans, the organisers of any march or demo should take responsibility for the behaviour of those they have transported to the event.

Those boarding NUS paid for coaches at campuses across the country with balaclavas and flares (not the dodgy student fashion sort!) were clearly signalling their intent in advance.

Agree with the general thrust of the thread. Might be difficult but these balaclavas and face covers shouldn't be allowed.

Saw a PC whip a face cover off one very tall student? who was arguing with him. Think someone may advise the student to have the policeman prosecuted for assault, which it was, even though a fully understandable action.

Happy days

In a society that positively encourages burkhas, I'm not sure we could easily construct an arguement for banning ski masks or hoodies, and in the age of CCTV, a face covering would seem a wise precaution! :wink: However, marches are quite pointless imo; from the Jarrow march, to the anti-war in Iraq demo - nothing changed. Arguably, the anti-poll tax riots had an effect, but I guess the change was due to the fact that the poll tax was considered a vote loser by those in power at the time. If, the students wish to seek vengence, they can stand and campaign against those MPs who vote for this measure, which should occupy all that spare time they appear to have! :wink:

Everyone should have the right to protest but if I was an organiser then I'd request that people who feel it necessary to cover their faces stay away as it sends out all the wrong messages. In any case, if anyone feel strongly enough to go out in public expecting others to support them, then they should have the guts to at least show their faces.

Bill :)

Obs you have hit on something that has become obvious recently. Violent Islamic demonstrations against British institutions (November 11th ceremonies for example) have been treated with a light touch by the police while peaceful demonstrations by, for example the EDL, have been met with violence by the self same police. What is going on? :shock::shock::shock: