Parking fines

harry hayes

Some local authorities are asking permission to raise parking fines.

IF we are desperately short of money I don't think that is a bad thing although I am only talking of public roads'

The offences are almost always deliberate and I would even extend the argument to such other offences as (flagrant) no insurance; driving licence; etc.

Shoot me down.

Happy days

Apparently the fines are ringed fenced and are supposedly to go road and transport improvements, but how bad would the state of our roads and transport actually be, if every car, lorry and van user obeyed the law. Where would the funds come from then, would they impose a car colour tax, red cars only use roads on Mondays etc, and if your car is dirty you get a environmental penalty?

I agree with a spokesman who said that the parking fines are disproportionate and no real right to appeal, the process seems to be weighted in favour of the council, people who steal, mug, drive with out insurance or a license get a much lesser fine in comparison.

OK, if you deliberately break the law, you get punished, however common sense should prevail on how much a fine should be, as ever, the car user is seen as a money pit, to solve all the woes of the road and travel network.

Signs should be made clearer, larger and be more of them, not spaced put a few hundred yards to mislead or hidden round a corner!

Yes I drive and have had two parking tickets on the public road. I took a chance and lost. Think I paid about ?30 each time.

All I am saying is that if we have to raise money, deliberate offences seem to me to be a reasonable target.

Might add that what caused me to post was an Irishman who had paid an awful lot in fines. However it was still cheaper than getting a permit to park in the same spot.

Happy days

The offences are almost always deliberate .....

Not always Harry, you should go round some of the car parks round here and in Lymm.... touch one white line in a bay with your wheel and the blueblooles ounce and you are 'nicked'.

?60 pound fine kindly reduced by half if you pay within the allotted number of days apparently.

Only ever had two parking fines in 28 years of driving myself though ... one was years ago in Stockton Heaths Forge Carpark for being over the allotted time by 5 mins and another was in time square carpark where Baz got 'done' :roll:

Simple, don't do the crime and you won't pay the fine - having said that, I've seen folk drive up, park on double yellows, and jump out and run to a shop. They know they're taking a chance, hence the run, and they are banking on getting back before the Bluebottles strike. Whether they actually pay their fixed penalties or not remains a mystery. :?

The offences are almost always deliberate .....

Not always Harry, you should go round some of the car parks round here and in Lymm.... touch one white line in a bay with your wheel and the blueblooles ounce and you are 'nicked'.

:roll:

Extra keen on the white lines in car parks then totally ignore all those that park on the double yellows in Lymm village itself, its an absolue joke. Went through there the other night about 7pm. Cars parked everywhere on double yellows and 2 CSPO`s stood on the corner next to Bacci`s totally ignoring the fact. :evil:

Ian

just got back from work and noted a car parked across the road from me sporting a nice yellow sticker. the blue meanies strike again.

i got a parking ticket whilst parked outside my own house. the reason was that my parking permit was not clearly displayed.. it was on the shelf at the front but had slipped down a bit. the parking ticket itself was stuck directly over where the permit was so he must have seen it when he attached the ticket. despite this it did not show up on the photo that was taken as he was standing on a part of the road that was slightly lower than my car. had he stood level the permit would have been clearly displayed on the crime photo.

very crafty these guys :cry:

just got back from work and noted a car parked across the road from me sporting a nice yellow sticker. the blue meanies strike again.

i got a parking ticket whilst parked outside my own house. the reason was that my parking permit was not clearly displayed.. it was on the shelf at the front but had slipped down a bit. the parking ticket itself was stuck directly over where the permit was so he must have seen it when he attached the ticket. despite this it did not show up on the photo that was taken as he was standing on a part of the road that was slightly lower than my car. had he stood level the permit would have been clearly displayed on the crime photo.

very crafty these guys :cry:

Sorry to hear you got caught out, you would think that they would use common sense (or at least open their eyes wider) and use a system where they can use their little electronic box that they carry around their shoulders to cross reference the number plate against the council records and show up your permit and not give you a penalty, or may be they are on a bonus scheme to pay their wages.

Spot on Sue.

If we/I have forgotten our fishing licences, and we get checked by an EA officer. They now put our details into their hand held computer or what ever it is called, and cross reference our details on the spot. But the EA are a proffessional body, who use curtesy and common sense.

I am told that if you are booked for a technical offence - pass slipped down type of thing - if you write them a nice letter - on the first occasion you may get off with it.

To go back to one of my previous points, the average fine for having no insurance is less than ?300. How does that compare with being legal?

Happy days

Obs.

I'm not too sure about that one my friend.

I think that The Environmental Agency and The Environment Agency are two seperate bodies. One deals with flood problems, illegal tipping, and a host of other things. The other deals more with fishing laws and by laws. I am not too clear on it so I stand to be corrected.

Harry.

I was an honouary NRA and EA bailiff before Brussels with their elf and safety act put the callabosh on it. Wearing of stab vests, carrying spray guns, and truncheons required a very high standard of training, and quite rightly so. But it did make life more difficult, if not impossible with the restrictions and demands that were made on us.

However, there were no excuses and no grey areas. You either had a licence or you didn't. A section 25 would cost you ?80 to ?90 as a standard fine. And I dished a few of them out to the bank tramps. :wink:

I have also had a ticket for being parked on a grass verge that had been tar macced over. It looked like a parking space, but it was on a by way. The nearest sign to where I was parked stating that it was a by way was approximately 1 mile away. On good advice I paid the fine and then wrote a very nice letter with help from a magistrate friend on mine. Didn't do me any good though. :cry::cry: