Musical memories?

observer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one particular song from a musical that's never heard on the radio or TV and it's in my mind every single day :cry: ... enough said about that one and not one that I want to share thanks :?

Other than that there are many others of a lighter note that sprung to mind immediately that I will never get bored of hearing such as .......

'Bat Out of Hell' and 'Two out of Three aint Bad' ... Meatloaf

Maybe they remind me of happy, sad, angry and occasionally rebelous younger days :lol: ... also reminds me of having my CB radio too and razzing around in my car near Walton Gardens and Hill Cliff :oops::lol:

'Dont Stop Believing' by Journey..... great that the original has had so much radio play since xfactor :D

'Cant find my way home' by Escape Comittee They were a local band and it still gives me goose bumps when I listen to it

All Abba and Heart songs..... reminds me of the happy younger days when me and my counsin used to sit back to back singing all their songs. Coudn't face each other as we would laugh and get all the harmonies wrong :lol:

Slim Bl**dy Whitman !!!! Thanks to my dad and rather embarrasing that I can actually sing along with many of his songs :oops:

Then of course there's Status Quo and Bon Jovi. I'm was huge fan of both and a couple remind me of certain times but all in all as much as I love all their songs your question has just made me realise that they don't actually seem to remind me of a specific time,place or thing :shock: Is that good or bad ?!?!?

Good post Obs as thinking about it is suddenly now reminding me about a lot of things I'd forgotten about :wink: So when I am awake all night reminiscing or singing in my sleep 'we' know who to bame :P

Go on...Have a sing-song...You know you want to.

Hee-hee, come on lads and lassies

The factory's opened again

Hee-hee, come on

Ee, let's sing for it

Sing as we go and let the world go by

Singing a song, we march along the highway

Say goodbye to sorrow

There's always tomorrow to think of today

Sing as we go, although the skies are grey

Beggar or king, you've got to sing a gay tune

A song and a smile make it right worthwhile

So sing... as we go along

Blues - where are you now

You oughta know that I've no use for you

Frown - get off my brow

It's plain to see that from now on we're through

Take to the south and sing morning and night

I see a better day coming in sight

Say goodbye to sorrow

Sing as we go although the skies are grey

A song and a smile making life worthwhile

So sing - as we go along

(Ay you, I've just got me gloves out of pawn, hee-ee)

Say goodbye to sorrow

(Hello, Charlie, I'm late again? Am I? You'll get used to it

Sing as we go although the skies are grey

(Gee, it's good to be back again)

A song and a smile make it right worthwhile

So sing-sing-sing-sing

As we go... a-long...

Dizzy - you've not exactly got a sophisticated taste in music have you?

While I understand your embarrassment about Slim Whitman, he's probably the pick of your bunch and that says a lot about the rest!

You are a bit like a stuck record when it comes down to talking about music aren't you Adam :roll::lol: I feel quite sorry for you :cry: Good job you aren't a music teacher :lol:

As for my lack of sophistication :lol::lol: ...music is for enjoying is and you are very welcome to come and have a look through my vast music collection as you may be suprised just what else is in it :wink:

Unlike you I have a very broad and varied taste in music and again unlike you I am open minded and not stuck in a rut of one style or genre refusing to acknowledge anything outside of my own little world.

Music is great... :D:D:D

I'm going or have I already gone :lol:

Wolfie never replied so if he turns up now it's too late and Adam hasn't replied either (but I suspect he's having an early night with his paisley print brushed cotton jimmies and hot water bottle :lol:)

Maybe I scared them both off :lol:

Just for Adam as a piece offering :wink:

Adam did you know that Beethoven's F?r Elise has not only been an influence in many other pieces if music including modern day pop and rap but it has also been the subject of many other uses in today's modern society. I was going to post a link to a rap song with with a F?r Elise backing that has rather good message to youngsters but I knew you wouldn't like it :wink:

However you may be interested in these uses...

â– Phoenix Technologies, a computer supplier, uses F?r Elise as a warning for faulty hardware

â– In Taiwan, garbage collection trucks play the piece to alert homes of their presence.

â– In Craiova, Romania, F?r Elise is automatically played when pedestrians are allowed to cross the street as an aid for the blind.

â– In the Peanuts cartoon special A Charlie Brown Christmas, the character Schroeder played F?r Elise quite often. He wanted to play it for the Christmas skit.

Ok so I google the last bits and if nothing else I now know how to put bullet points in a post :lol:

...but how good is this young chap at playing it though on two guitars at the same time :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-B4sjUve3E&feature=related

Just for Adam as a piece offering :wink:

Adam did you know that Beethoven's F?r Elise has not only been an influence in many other pieces if music including modern day pop and rap but it has also been the subject of many other uses in today's modern society. I was going to post a link to a rap song with with a F?r Elise backing that has rather good message to youngsters but I knew you wouldn't like it :wink:

However you may be interested in these uses...

?Phoenix Technologies, a computer supplier, uses F?r Elise as a warning for faulty hardware

?In Taiwan, garbage collection trucks play the piece to alert homes of their presence.

?In Craiova, Romania, F?r Elise is automatically played when pedestrians are allowed to cross the street as an aid for the blind.

?In the Peanuts cartoon special A Charlie Brown Christmas, the character Schroeder played F?r Elise quite often. He wanted to play it for the Christmas skit.

Ok so I google the last bits and if nothing else I now know how to put bullet points in a post :lol:

...but how good is this young chap at playing it though on two guitars at the same time :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-B4sjUve3E&feature=related

Dismayed, Beach Boys also had the intro of the F?r Elise on their hit Lady Linda. 8)

Down On Main Street - Bob Seger ----Was a tough time in my life.

Magnet & Steel - Walter Egan --- A lovely time in my life.

Imagine - John Lennon --- When I was still hopeful about humans.

Jumper - Third Eye Blind --- When I was angry about life

Hark the Herald Angels Sing - Charles Wesley - When I think if Christmas

Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber --- When I mourn.

Crazy - Patsy Cline --- When I felt blue about a man.

The list can go on for a very very long time. The thing is new music gives me new memories.

Dizzy

I thought you had a better sense of humour than that! But seeing as you apparently haven't, I can assure you I have an extremely wide taste in music including

Classical

Modern symphonic or chamber music

Jazz (traditional and modern)

Folk music

Show tunes

Almost anything by Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, and their contempories

The occasional Beatles song (provided it is not performed by The Beatles)

The occasional post 1950s pop song.

I also like quite a bit of rubbish, but in doing so recognise it for what it is, unlike most people on this forum who think that just because they like it, then it must be a masterpiece!

As to it being a good job I am not a music teacher, it would be a good thing if more music teachers shared my views, which are more to do with quality than genre. Then we might not have the farcial situation of public money being spent by our local university running degree courses in pop music.

The Beatles may have been second rate musicians and singers, but their music at least reflected its time and struck a chord (no pun intended) with a large portion of the population. But it wasn't learned at university but in their front parlours, in garages, in clubs and pubs, etc, which is where pop music should be learned.

Sue

I am not sure why you suddenly bring Fur Elise into the thread. Of course I am aware that classical music has influenced pop music, rap, etc and even the chime used by my local ice cream man. Most of the great themes originate in classical music so it is only natural that lesser mortals will steal them. But it doesn't mean they produce great music.

Eagle

Everything comes to he who waits :lol:

Dismayed, Beach Boys also had the intro of the F?r Elise on their hit Lady Linda. 8)

Never knew that thanks SueD :wink:

PS Wolfie it was me who said

and if nothing else I now know how to put bullet points in a post
. Sue quoted me but the coding was wrong so my bullet points didn't work in her reply... if you see what I mean... they work in the original :wink:

Dizzy

I thought you had a better sense of humour than that! But seeing as you apparently haven't.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I've got a great sense of humour actually and I also have a develish streak where I like to tease people :lol::wink:

As for your wide taste in music glad to hear it :wink: My dad loves Jazz too, does nothing for me though I'm afraid, however have to agree with you on the Show Tunes.. some are fantastic. I particularly like Les Miserables, Blood Brothers, Whistle Down the Wind, Phantom of the Opera... in fact most of them.

What are your favourites ?

As to it being a good job I am not a music teacher, it would be a good thing if more music teachers shared my views, which are more to do with quality than genre. Then we might not have the farcial situation of public money being spent by our local university running degree courses in pop music.

I see your point there. Actually I may have been wrong about music teachers as I was basing my comment on my sons private music teacher. He is fantastic and can play/teach absolutely ANY style of music. However the schools music teacher is a complete bore and often struggles when it comes to advising on certain methods :?

The Beatles may have been second rate musicians and singers, but their music at least reflected its time and struck a chord (no pun intended) with a large portion of the population. But it wasn't learned at university but in their front parlours, in garages, in clubs and pubs, etc, which is where pop music should be learned.

We learned and played in our front rooms, garages, clubs and pubs too. Great fun but we weren't as lucky as the Beetles and never got signed up.. no idea why as we were better than them :lol::wink:

Sue

I am not sure why you suddenly bring Fur Elise into the thread.

Twas me Adam so no point in picking on SueD :P