Musical memories?

observer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be going soft - I find myself in the same corner as Eagle!

Sue

I have not heard Cozy Powell's solo you refer to, but I have heard Cozy Powell. He is a most inept drummer. He even stole his name from Cozy Cole, a drummer of a much earlier, richer vintage, who had probably forgotten more about drumming than Powell ever learned.

As I say, I don't go for drum solos much, but if I had to choose one I would go for Shelly Manne's lengthy solo on, I think it was, "Un Poco Loco" or it might have been "Night in Tunisia."

This was not your typical bash hell out of 'em solo, but a "thinking man's solo" with a theme and variation, use of various types of drum and cymbals, etc to add variety.

The distinguished conductor Andre Previn, who was a jazz musician before he switched to classical music, said of the solo that it would have been a masterpiece if it had been written by one of the great masters of percussion music. As it wasn't - it was improvised there and then on the spot - it was even more incredible. Fortunately it was recorded so we can still hear it!

Chico Hamilton also recorded a remarkable drum solo in the middle of a ballad - a difficult feat for any drummer.

Joe Morello, the blind drummer in one of the Dave Brubeck Quartets, was another top flight jazz drummer.

And then there is Dame Evelyn Glennie, the classical drummer who is actually all the more remarkable because she is deaf. She used to play with the Halle in Manchester.

So I am afraid Eagle is right. "One and only" is most inappropriate a description for Cozy Powell

Colin Flooks, session musician for various performers and joined various groups including Rainbow, Whitesnake & Black Sabbath.

Died in 1998 aged 50 when he crashed his car when over the limit.

70s version of Sandy Nelson but not as good.

1947 ? 1998 (Colin Flooks aka Cozy Powell)

Cozy Powell was one of Britain's best players after stints with such greats as Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck, Geneva, The Who's Roger Daltrey, Gary Moore, Queen's Brian May, Whitesnake, Michael Schenker, Peter Green, Emerson Lake & Powell and many others.

Was also known as the best drummer in the world by his contemporaries. :wink:

1947 ? 1998 (Colin Flooks aka Cozy Powell)

Cozy Powell was one of Britain's best players after stints with such greats as Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck, Geneva, The Who's Roger Daltrey, Gary Moore, Queen's Brian May, Whitesnake, Michael Schenker, Peter Green, Emerson Lake & Powell and many others.

Also known as the best drummer in the world by the current and his contemporary drummers and musicians as widely reported in many music publications worldwide.

Edited for accuracy :lol:

According to Rollingstone mag, the top 15 drummers in the world are:-

1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

2. Neil Peart (Rush)

3. Keith Moon (The Who)

4. Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Them Crooked Vultures)

5. Stewart Copeland (The Police, Oysterhead)

6. Ringo Starr (The Beatles)

7. Ginger Baker (Cream, Blind Faith)

8. Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins)

9. Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones)

10. Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)

11. Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

12. Danny Carey (Tool)

13. Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

14. Buddy Rich

15. Alex Van Halen (Van Halen)

Where's this Cozy Powell chap? :?:?

Wolfie, I can't answer that, I was just trying to make a point that Cozy Powell was also an excellent drummer of repute as many testamonies by musicans from iconic bands are on record as saying, although difficult to work with, always delivered the goods when it mattered

It does not mean that he was the best all time drummer or the worst, although he was known at one time as being the best drummer in world in the 1970's.

Who is now, I do not know, may be it worth a Google or a Yahoo although it's all subjective anyway, everyone has their favourites.

As for me, I prefer the guitar. :wink:

YES... someone with some sense at last !!!!! 6 guitars in my house and other halfs set of drums banished to mother-in-laws garage years ago.... knew I was right :lol:

Dismayed, I can not play the guitar my self but respect anyone who can, a good friend of mine play various 6 and 12 string guitars, there is nothing like hearing the raw sound of talent on a guitar close up and hearing the chords being played, really magical, also like the sound of a piano being played too, watching muscians play it always amazes me how they remember the tune, the chords and it what order, it must be fantastic to have such ability! 8)

Wolfie, your list loses all credibility with Ringo at No5 :lol:

Whe John Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in England he rplied that Ringo wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.

It is all about personal taste, I think Baker was streets ahead of Powell because drumming isn't about being loud and repetitive.

I have no doubt he was a respected talent.

So why doesn't he appear on a list of so called best drummers. :?

This guy was hot in the Thirties and the Big Bands. Does the list go back that far?

Only Buddy Rich was from the past on that list.

Dizzy, Google Gene Krupa on Wikipedia. :wink:

SueD... It's never too late to learn something new :wink:

I've played the guitar since I was in my teens but sadly never learned to read music and not playing as much as I used to the old fingers are not as quick as they used to be.... infact at times I think they are on strike :lol:

You are right about piano's and how I wish I could play one properly. I can play the the keyboard in a fashion but it does the hard bits for me :oops::lol:

Still fun though :D

Again I find myself agreeing with Eagle. Drumming isn't all about being loud and repetitive. In fact, the ability to play quietly is a far better guide to the quality of a drummer. Which is why no rock drummer should ever appear on any list of "best drummers."

In fact, the Rolling Stone magazine list SHOULD be called a list of rock/pop drummers What BUddy Rich is doing on it I don't know.

He is probably the best drummer on the list, but was actually only a very average jazz drummer.

These lists are pretty pointless anyway. Some time ago someone posted a list of best guitarists on here, but it consisted entirely of rock guitarists, so it should have been called a list of rock guitarists.

Technically, the best guitarist in the world is likely to be a classical guitarist, but I appreciate that personal taste in pop music seldom takes technique into account.

Dismayed"]SueD... It's never too late to learn something new :wink:

Sometime ago I did try and learn the guitar, although the teacher was very good, my brain, eyes and ears could not tell my fingers what to do, however, playing music at any level without beiing able to read music is also a talent and you must have a excellent memory to remember all those chords. 8)

• 7 months later...

all these so called "drummers" on wolfies list couldnt get a place in any big band i bet none of them could read music--the only drummer on the list worth talking about was buddy rich---and there are a few who could hold their own with him--gene krupa for one and our own ronnie verrell. :)