What do you value?

Grumpy old man

Have a little think about this, twirl it around amongst all the thoughts that are contained in your mind. Bring to the fore, everything that you know, all that you think you know, what is a ? ?.

Well for a start its worth something. We all use it to give our lives value, the clothes we wear, the cars we drive, the postcode we brag about but, what is it? where does it come from?

Are you impressed by people that have accumulated many ?s ?

Do you strive to impress others by the number of ?s you have accumulated?

Do you think that ?s = class?

Who makes that first pound that eventually reaches you and what do they do for it?

Would you like your own child to do the same?

Worth spouting an opinion on?

Don?t quite see how this fits in as a local issue but none the less an excellent topic to ponder on during the holidays.

The saying ?Sound as a pound? doesn?t really hold good these days and the good old bricks and mortar?s no better so what?s the true yardstick for the measurement of wealth?

Bill :)

PS I started out with nothing and I've still got plenty of it left! :lol::lol::lol:

I value my health and my family.

I value money in that it pays the bills.

I respect people who have accumulated money through hard work, so that excludes sports and the music industry.

I always said that ?100,000 would be enough to win on the lottery. (Enough to take care of the family)

Money can mean class, it depends on lifestyles and the mind of the beholder.

People with new money can have ideas above their station.I would never let money become my God.

I value being able to do things for others, especially the less able-bodied.

That sort of sums my life style up. :oops:

In my life I?ve had money and opportunity?s but I?ve also endured times when my family had to scrape by on state handouts so I think I?ve experienced both sides of the equation.

I don?t necessarily respect people who have made money (even through hard work) because making money comes easy for some. I could make a lot more money than I could do just now if I really wanted to but other considerations are more important to me than the size of my bank balance.

I value my health and my family.

I value money in that it pays the bills.

I respect people who have accumulated money through hard work, so that excludes sports and the music industry.

I always said that ?100,000 would be enough to win on the lottery. (Enough to take care of the family)

Money can mean class, it depends on lifestyles and the mind of the beholder.

People with new money can have ideas above their station.I would never let money become my God.

I value being able to do things for others, especially the less able-bodied.

That sort of sums my life style up.

I could not have said it better Peter

my health and my family (what is left of each :shock: )

the people i know and can call my friends and who call me friend.

the people that i don't yet know but can look forward to meeting and perhaps add them to my list of friends.

but most of all i value waking up and knowing that i am alive and wondering what the day has in store.

Pete probably both,

I value honesty in a person because at least you know where with them you stand and they know where you stand with them.

Belive it or not I learnt this in Burnley when I worked at Lucas Electrical Switchgear Division and it was so refreshing.

There was no back stabbing people just told it as it was, mind you that was over 30 years ago things may have changed since then certainly the factory has gone.

Couldn?t agree more, in fact my relatives hardly ever read anything on here.

I think the original post related more to actual money and how we react with or without it rather than none monetary things we might value. Eagles off the cuff remark about ?relative value? though for me is key to all money issues because rich and poor are just relative terms.

On my recent visit to Kenya, I witnessed some scenes of awful squalor and deprivation but while here in the UK I?d consider myself as the ordinary man on the street, to these poor people I must have appeared as an incredibly rich person with far too much money. You can?t help but feel sorry for them but at the same time it?s hard to ignore a slight sense of guilt when you realize the trinket you?ve just bought would feed a whole family there for a week. So, I guess they?re right; on a global scale we probably do have too much money.

Ok things are nowhere near as bad here but rather than ponder if we look up to the guy with the Ferrari, perhaps we should wonder if the same feeling of guilt occurs when he drives through our deprived areas?

Right 1st time Peter. The threads about value and money so why not use this as an example.

This is the sort of place you?d take someone when you need to give the impression that money?s no object to you. It?s nouvelle cuisine so expect to pay a fortune and go away feeling hungry and before you embarrass yourself asking, the vegetable (singular) is under the small piece of meat.

The yuppie waiter says ?you?ve made an excellent choice sir? but the reality is that there are only four main courses to choose from (one if you?re a lentil eater!) We gave the starters a miss, they were all too fussy and over priced, also, it?s embarrassing when you have to ask what it is. The same was true for the desert where we could only identify the ice cream. :oops:

Our party of six had just the main course and shared two bottles of house wine and the bill came to ?150. :shock: Now contrast that with earlier in the day when Irene and myself ate at Weatherspoons in Northwich paying less than ?10 for two very nice meals and all drinks.

The bottom line is that places like this seem to exist to serve those who don?t believe that cost is in any way related to value. Still if it keeps plebes like me away then maybe it?s not a bad thing. :lol::lol::lol:

No Baz I used the tip money to get the car cleaned having driven through all the mud and potholes get there. Good money saving tip is to use the car wash at the top of Farrell Street. They?ve only just opened so there are no big queues and they do an excellent job.