Council plan to close more roads

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

After thousands of people objected, the council’s response is that we write or email them as individuals.

This is like the Russian army inviting Ukrainians to come to them as individuals to try and explain why they think their invasion is wrong.

The council know the overwhelming majority of people object to these plans but very few will want to engage with the council’s legal team.

They know exactly what they’re doing.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Bill said:

After thousands of people objected, the council’s response is that we write or email them as individuals.

This is like the Russian army inviting Ukrainians to come to them as individuals to try and explain why they think their invasion is wrong.

The council know the overwhelming majority of people object to these plans but very few will want to engage with the council’s legal team.

They know exactly what they’re doing.

Bill 😊

No need to engage with the legal team Bill. The council generally ignore objections by not reading them in detail they won't bother objectors with questions. They don't usually want to know and I have never had them actually take the blindest of notice, other than to count them and them summarise them in a way which gives no weight at all to any argument you make.

"why all the objections? it is to ensure a greener, healthier environment for them" is the councils argument.

That it seems to be doing the opposite does not come into it "just teething problems" is the council response.

"it will make it easier and safer to walk and cycle around the area" unless you have problems walking or cycling due to health issues or infirmity

somebody who was a real conspiracy theorist would even go so far as to suggest it is a plot by Warrington council to force people to use the expensive public transport that the council is touting as the greener option and to raise revenue via the fine generated by the bus gates ("people will get used to them") to help offset the money squandered invested in various dodgy ventures.

🕵️‍♀️

do have to wonder how much they will save not having to repair the potholes in the areas where traffic is banned discouraged?

it always amazes me the amount of faff needed to fill a pot hole.

firstly a team of inspectors to identify that it is in fact a pothole by todays definition.

Then a second team to mark out and record where it is.

The road then has to be closed off which requires a legal team to put up the notices in the papers and a team to put the notices around the neighbourhood.

Then the team that comes along and puts the cones and diversion signs out.

The team that actually spends the time filling in the pothole.

followed by the inspectors and site foreman to make sure it has been filled into spec.

and lastly the team to collect all the cones and diversion signs.

all that just to fill a hole with a shovel full of tarmac.

they have machines these days that can fill a pothole in 15 minutes from start to finish operated by three men and without having to stop the traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that everyday now there is a new article about road closures ect. While I appreciate roads need to be resurfaced, it certainly needs to be better coordinated than it currently is. Another thing that struck me today in terms of these LTN schemes to apparently reduce pollution. Eco friendly seems to be a hot topic at the moment but the key fact is this; it costs to go green and on a national level they are trying to force everyone to go green at a cost to them. While this may not be a problem for upper class families, it will certainly hit the working class families with rising fuel costs and shorter journeys. 

• Upvote 2

The current plans have nothing to do with resurfacing Elizabeth but rather the closure of Hallfields Road and Grange Avenue, both of which were main through roads. Closing these would force people to drive considerably longer distances which is definitely not Ecco friendly or very green so I can’t see how you interpret this as being the cost of going green?

Whoops your post changed a bit there. There’s very little if anything that can be claimed to be green in these plans. The main objective is to prevent traffic using residential roads as shortcuts and as far as I see it, nobodies objecting to this aspect of the plan. The problem lies with the main road closures where thousands of people like myself who don’t necessarily live in the area were never considered.

As for this affecting poorer people more, try telling that to the road planners and they’d probably tell you they shouldn’t be driving a car then. They're a law unto themselves and believe they can’t do anything wrong.

Bill 😊

Time to wake up folks,  it's all part of the green agenda, to get the peasants out of their cars and onto buses, bikes or shanksies.  EV'S will not be affordable by the Plebs, who will be struggling with eating or heating. Meanwhile, the wealthy will have clear roads to cruise in their EVs.    😠

9 hours ago, Observer II said:

Meanwhile, the wealthy will have clear roads to cruise in their EVs. 

so just like in all the car adverts. One car cruising along miles of empty roads and getting the optimum fuel efficiency through not having to sit for half an hour in queues at lights that allow two cars through at a time.