Keyboard Warriors

Gary

I think it’s a different kettle of fish here Gary because just about everyone is old enough to show some respect to others even when we don’t agree. If Facebook only had retired people, there probably wouldn’t be an issue there either. There was a time when there was nothing here but political arguments and most that stopped using the site back then said this was the reason. Look at it now, there’s some political debate but seemingly no extreme views or huge amounts of name calling.

Where I think your problem with Facebook lies though is the invisible algorithms that guide people towards certain topics like the dropping of chum attracts sharks. This leads to a disproportionate number of personal attacks that gets worse with every click of the chum / like button. The irony is you want to attract people but not those who attack everything in sight and Facebook just doesn’t seem to have the mechanisms to attract people with moderate views or that seldom comment.

Let’s just hope that by getting rid of the extremist leads to something that’s more acceptable to the majority and keeps the grief from your door.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Facebook is a mess & getting worse. I put very little on but too many people live their lives & air their dirty laundry on it I was even getting requests from prostitutes on the messenger section  last week but there didn't seem to be a complaints procedure.

Blimey Davy, I’ve never had anything like that. I’ve had a few random friend requests supposedly from attractive ladies outside the UK but they’re obviously not genuine. I stick to mainly family and a few local people that I know and none have them have much to say these days which means I see mostly news and adverts.

Bill 😊

I think it’s fascinating to look at how people behave on Facebook as an indicator of how people’s attitude has changed over time. There are a few like me with little to do but waffle on about everything and those who’s responses never go further than a few words. It’s also interesting to see that when Facebook is divided down into local area interest groups, that a lot more people are willing to engage and there’s little in the way of extremist views.

Keyboard warriors don’t seem to like being identifiable either by name of where they’re from. Profiles are almost always left blank, but they often list their friends and quick scan through their postings often reveals a shared narrow range of interests. So, it’s not surprising when things kick off, how quickly these people jump in, converting a minority view into something that appears to be that of the majority.

In real life we can just avoid anyone who expresses extreme views and we certainly don’t have to listen to the views of all their friends but Facebook groups that try to appeal to the general public make it easy for these people to make a real nuisance of themselves. On the plus side though, only a few would need banning to keep the pages clear of all their nasty friends.

Here's an example from a Warrington Worldwide page posted just now.

warrior.png

From his links and images, this guy appears to have extreme political and anti monarchy views and no concern about saying someone should be killed. He withholds all his information apart from being a Liverpool and Wolves supporter and liking Currall’s pies.

Bill :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 11:28 AM, Bill said:

I think it’s fascinating to look at how people behave on Facebook as an indicator of how people’s attitude has changed over time. There are a few like me with little to do but waffle on about everything and those who’s responses never go further than a few words. It’s also interesting to see that when Facebook is divided down into local area interest groups, that a lot more people are willing to engage and there’s little in the way of extremist views.

Keyboard warriors don’t seem to like being identifiable either by name of where they’re from. Profiles are almost always left blank, but they often list their friends and quick scan through their postings often reveals a shared narrow range of interests. So, it’s not surprising when things kick off, how quickly these people jump in, converting a minority view into something that appears to be that of the majority.

In real life we can just avoid anyone who expresses extreme views and we certainly don’t have to listen to the views of all their friends but Facebook groups that try to appeal to the general public make it easy for these people to make a real nuisance of themselves. On the plus side though, only a few would need banning to keep the pages clear of all their nasty friends.

Here's an example from a Warrington Worldwide page posted just now.

warrior.png

From his links and images, this guy appears to have extreme political and anti monarchy views and no concern about saying someone should be killed. He withholds all his information apart from being a Liverpool and Wolves supporter and liking Currall’s pies.

Bill :)

He has been banned and blocked after several attempts to get facebook to act - please let me know if he reappears - been one of the most hateful trolls I have ever had the displeasure to deal with and one who made me take my zero tolerance stance.

The sad thing is that this wasn’t one of the regular trolls I see but just someone who posted two minutes after me.

I doubt there’s many in Warrington sharing the same name and age, and if true, Google brings up several press reports that shows him and his associates in a pretty poor light.

Given I use my real name and picture on here I think it’s safer for me to not say any more about this. :(

Bill 😊