Air travel whinging

Adam

I am sick and tired of hearing air travel bosses whinging about how much money they are losing. I realise they did not create COVID-19 but they did spread it around the world. Now they don't seem to realise they can never go back to business as it was before. Even if we defeat COVID it will only be a matter of time before another virus appears - possibly a more deadly one. And if airlines carry on with their policy of trying to pack as many people as possible into aircraft to keep the price down they will again spread it around the globe.

The interior of airliners has to be completely re-designed so they are no longer breeding grounds for viruses. Passengers must be separated from each other so they are not breathing each other's germs. This will mean aircraft will not have the same seating capacity - in fact it could mean it could be cut by more than half. This will mean that prices have to rise which won't be popular. But would it be so unreasonable?  It has always been absurd that so many overseas holidays cost less than holidaying in the UK.

So let's hear less whinging from air travel bosses. Instead, let's hear a bit more from them about what plans they are making to ensure they won't create another pandemic. And of course, the same applies to the cruise industry.

• Upvote 1

I think your right Adam in that it’ll never be quite the same if for no other reason than many will fear the virus re-emerging and taking us back to where we are now. But there is hope with some developing technology that can destroy all virus’s, including covid 19, so effectively that the inside of an aircraft is safer than being outside. Most aircraft already use this technology to sterilize the recirculated air while Qatar Airlines employ it extensively in all their passenger areas. See the topic I started  under questions “Bring me Sunshine” for a long-winded explanation of this.

But even if we could make all the planes sterile, the travel industry wont fully recover until the rates of infection here and overseas drop to an acceptable level which might take several years. I can see more companies going bust with this and more planes being mothballed but if that’s what it takes then so be it. But when it’s all over, I’m sure new businesses will appear to meet the demand because we’ve tasted foreign holidays and people will want to see them back again, even if there's a distinct hint of mothballs in the air.

Bill 😊

18 hours ago, Adam said:

I am sick and tired of hearing air travel bosses whinging about how much money they are losing. I realise they did not create COVID-19 but they did spread it around the world. Now they don't seem to realise they can never go back to business as it was before. Even if we defeat COVID it will only be a matter of time before another virus appears - possibly a more deadly one. And if airlines carry on with their policy of trying to pack as many people as possible into aircraft to keep the price down they will again spread it around the globe.

The interior of airliners has to be completely re-designed so they are no longer breeding grounds for viruses. Passengers must be separated from each other so they are not breathing each other's germs. This will mean aircraft will not have the same seating capacity - in fact it could mean it could be cut by more than half. This will mean that prices have to rise which won't be popular. But would it be so unreasonable?  It has always been absurd that so many overseas holidays cost less than holidaying in the UK.

So let's hear less whinging from air travel bosses. Instead, let's hear a bit more from them about what plans they are making to ensure they won't create another pandemic. And of course, the same applies to the cruise industry.

The Benidorm Cough has been a long standing utterance from travellers to Spain. It is so easy to spread any form of infection  in a plane ,especially when everyone's germs are recirculated in the air conditioning system. We ,like many other, have even had many a mosquito bite from air travel which are also great for carrying & transmitting disease.

That’s stating the obvious Obs but it’s not going to stop people wanting to take foreign holidays or for those in the travel industry pushing to have restrictions eased so we end up in a situation where we know it might not be good for us, but people will do it anyway, especially if they don’t see it as too great a personal risk. And here lies the problem, people are quite selfish in so much as they’re only concerned about themselves catching something from others when in reality, they themselves are just as likely to pass something on as anyone else on board.

I can’t see any easy or short-term solution to this but life has to go on and we just need to find ways to minimise the risks. rather than take a defeatist attitude. The solutions are out there somewhere, it’s just finding them that’s difficult.

Bill 😊

Here’s a solution that the airlines could adopt to get round the problem of people sitting next to each other. Rather than telling people they must wear their own masks, issue all passengers with one of these electronic masks. They cost about £100 each so a £20K investment by the airlines gets something like a 737 airliner permanently back in the air which has to be a no brainer for the airlines. Give them out in a sealed plastic bag like they do with headsets but collect them at the end of the journey for reuse after processing.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/uvmask-complete-protection-for-the-new-normal#/

Something like this along with the measures already in place would make flying safer than walking down the street, providing the plane stays in the air that is. The whole project has been crowd funded in the US in an attempt to get these devices out asap but safety testing will probably take ten years.

Bill 😊

Nah Davy, they were just a normal bulb with a purple lens that were supposed pre dilate your pupils to prevent dazzling. I bought one but it didn’t seem to do anything apart from make people think I was a taxi. These UV LEDs are relatively new, they're probably not the mega expensive ones that don't damage skin or eyes but that doesn't matter if the light is enclosed inside the mask.

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

Giving everyone individual masks is all very well, but we're talking 200+ humans here, half of whom are below average intelligence. You only have to look around and see how many people are incapable of wearing a simple cloth mask properly. Add in their apparent need to remove their mask to eat, drink and talk.............................................

• Upvote 1

But the point is with these masks Asp, even if the person next to you is the biggest plonker in the world it doesn’t matter. They could get right in your face but the virus won’t get through the filters and the UV so you remain safe and the only people at risk are other plonkers who cant follow the rules.

Makes sense to me.

Bill 😊

It’s about making things safer Asp; idiot proof though is another matter. We have to try to find solutions to problems, not give up before we start just because idiots exist. The manufacturing company producing these can’t make them fast enough and they’ll be absolutely gutted to find out you don’t want one.

Bill 😊

2 hours ago, asperity said:

Hopefully they and the airline will be well insured against claims from anyone catching covid on any flight using them..........................................

Don't see that as a problem - the incubation period is so variable proving that you caught it on the aircraft will be nigh on impossible even for a transatlantic flight.

38 minutes ago, asperity said:

I hardly think that's going to stop people trying Con.

If there is no way of being able to prove on the balance of probabilities that it was caught on the plane the lawyers will not take the cases unless the litigants cough up the fees and there will will not be a no win no fee bonanza. There may be a few foolish folk who try but they will act as and example to the others as they lose their money. Th airlines would not be concerned but simply use their victory for advertising.