Testing points ?

Observer II

Are there any "road side" Corvid testing points in Warrington ?   There were some shown on TV News,  but I thought they were reserved for NHS Staff ?  The other issue is those who get this disease, yet show no symptoms;  like many of the crew of the US Aircraft Carrier ?      😷

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, asperity said:

It all seems to be hit and miss. I've heard that you can have the virus for up to 28 days before it shows up in a test, while displaying no symptoms. I'm ready to be educated if anyone knows anything about this subject.

My understanding is that there are two kinds of test, the first of which is the one they are scaling up to 100000 a day is the Antigen test which tests for proteins created by the virus in the body, that should give a positive result even for those that are asymptomatic. The study in Canada suggest that the probability of it taking more than 14 days to show symptoms, if you are going to, is very low.

The second test is the anti-body test. When you have successfully fought of the infection you will have acquired anti-bodies in your blood stream that recognise the antigen caused by the virus and attack it. I understand that it is this test which can take up to 28 days before the anti-bodies are detected. That is the test which they have not found working in any commercial product although they have a working test at Porton Down which is being used to test random samples to determine how many people statistically have got a form of immunity.

So in a nutshell the the Antigen test detects whether you have the virus and the anti-body test detect is you have recovered from and have a reduced risk of getting it again. 

If any of that is wrong I do hope someone will shout up!

• Upvote 1

The fact is that at the moment nobody really knows how may are carriers and how many of those will actually show symptoms. It is best guess time based on similar viruses or educated guess if you prefer.

Err on the safe side and assume the highest number of carriers and the longest infection time and then add VAT or some other number that will give you a safety margin. whatever number of days/weeks/months this gives should be the minimum period of the lock-down measures. Inconvenient maybe but so is lying in a pine box awaiting your turn at the crem.

Not sure it's just journalists -  in a reply Hancock has said that people coming to the UK from abroad don't need to be tested or to be quarantined, as the virus id currently so prevalent - unbelievable.    Sounds like political expediency is overuling public safety.   😷

• 2 weeks later...

Think you can order home testing kits online - don't think many OAPs are online or have a car for that matter.    😷    Presumably this test and trace approach will facilitate a reduction in spread,  it won't provide a cure,  we've still got to wait for an anti-viral treatment or a vaccine.    😷

Thing is they will only test you or can only test you to see if you have it and you must be showing symptoms.

What if you are under 65 with underlying health conditions, such as myself who is still under 65 but have a heart condition, or my younger brother who is in his fifties and has just undergone a heart bypass. Are we eligible for testing if we show symptoms or not?

Not that it particularly bothers me or worries me, very little does these days. I think I have used up my quota of worry over the years with various things and have reached the limit of worry. The result being that i can sit and chill whilst those around me are worrying about whatever is currently happening. I do allow myself a brief moment of panic now and then, it gets the heart pumping and adrenaline flowing so that i can then calm down a bit and think a bit more rationally about the situation in hand and deal with it in a fairly calm manner.

12 hours ago, Observer II said:

If your over 65 (with underlying health conditions etc) and are showing symptoms, you can get a test to confirm your demise.     😷

The caveat (with underlying health conditions etc) does not apply. The showing symptoms bit does however since the test does not work otherwise if the correct result is positive.

The caveat is there to reinforce the fact that a positive test most likely means a death sentence, alone in ICU.    💀     Apparently only one in five of the population want lock down to end at the moment (poll).  It doesn't take an "expert" to know, that contact with other people risks transmission of the virus, so it seems the majority of folk are more risk aware than those banging the drum for an end to lock down.   The safest place for some time to come imo, for the elderly, will be isolated at home.   😷

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that these testing stations are underused. Indeed the one I saw last week outside the AJ Bell in Salford was very quiet. Surely now is the time to test "ordinary" people. If a shop or factory wants to reopen, and everyone is tested negative for Covid 19, there is no chance of anyone catching it.

Think you'd need to test everyone before they turn in for work,  but I think it takes 2 days to get the results.  Meanwhile you've got the possibilty of being infected and it being asymptomatic.  Think the idea behind testing is contact tracing, to be effective in the manner you describe would require daily tests, and even that doesn't rule out catching it, between times.  Think we're in for a Darwinian cull eventually.     😷😷💀