Gang of seven -

Observer II

See a gang of seven Remoaner  Prima- Donnas has left the Labour Party, citing Labour's Brexit position and institutionalised anti-semitism  as the reason.  Well, I'm not sure Labour has a cohesive policy on Brexit, other than to honour the result of the referendum, which these Remoaners are trying to undermine, and it would seem that anti-semitism is being confused for anti-Israeli sentiments, and a cloak for left v right splits in the Party. Perhaps these arrogant careerists will now stand for re-election thus giving "the people" an opportunity to vote for their stance or otherwise ?

look on the bright side that is seven ex-mp's.

Less pollution as they will no longer need to commute to London once a fortnight to claim expenses.

More money in the pot for us as we no longer need to pay them wages, second house subsidy, moat cleaning expenses etc.

Plus seven less to stir up the pot about brexit.

apart from having to have an election to see who gets their seats i can see no down side.👍

• Haha 1

All this anti Semitism  allegedly throughout the Labour party seems to be just another example of offence being taken by minority groups for very little reason.  They should have been around in the good old days when non conformist religious followers were brutalised . This is the 21st century for God's sake.....i hope that hasn't offended anyone.

2 hours ago, Davy51 said:

All this anti Semitism  allegedly throughout the Labour party seems to be just another example of offence being taken by minority groups for very little reason.  They should have been around in the good old days when non conformist religious followers were brutalised . This is the 21st century for God's sake.....i hope that hasn't offended anyone.

I say! Isn't that a bit ageist or something?

It really is at odds with the Peoples Vote of 2016 ,that all of these defectors' main gripe is to overturn the result of that Referendum. Once the result of that was declared Parliament ,as one, should have had two goals.....firstly running the normal everyday business of Parliament & ,secondly, uniting to get the best outcome possible for Britain as of 29th March 2019. MPs have no business acting out their own agendas.

• Upvote 3

Correct Dave; but it's the nature of the beast: they arrogantly believe they know what's best for us, as has been the case since Parliament evolved.  During the civil war,  Lord Manchester et al ,  were prepared to offer concessions to King Charles; despite the victories of the Army, made up of common soldiers who didn't even have a vote. Cromwell's scathing rebuke to them, when he called in Col Pride to turf them out, is still applicable today. 

• Upvote 1

The referendum laid bare the political mood of the Nation,  it's debate in Parliament has laid bare the true nature of our political system and it's actors.  Politicians often describe their Parties as "broad churches" to excuse the reality, that with few exceptions, they are a collection of self-seeking individuals, intent on imposing their ideas and values upon the rest of us; as if endowed with a bounty of knowledge and wisdom above the common herd.  Our FPTP electoral system favours a two party system, which forces these individuals into one or other of these broad churches, to pursue their ideological battles internally, and win supremacy within their Parties.  Tactically, to-date; Parties have generally tried to position themselves close to the "centre" ground, in order to maximise electoral support;  thus marginalising their "extremes" to the back benches.  However, the referendum, the ultimate in PR, presented  a binary choice, gave a majority in favour of the "extreme" view, to leave the EU, which was completely at odds with the views of the majority of MPs. Rather than accept and adopt this mandate, the majority of MPs have sought to sabotage the referendum decision, with arrogant assertions that "the people" were misled, misinformed etc; too thick to understand the complexities of the issue.  By so doing, they have destroyed any prospect of the Gov pursuing a hard negotiating stance against and, on the face of it, unified EU.  Hence the mess were now in. These "remoaner" MPs will claim that they are "representatives", not delegates, and therefore have leeway to make political choices, not only outside the decision of the referendum, but even outside the manifestos of their own Parties.  Now we see some peeling away from their Parties, but unlike their campaign for a second referendum vote, they refuse to stand for re-election on the basis of their new platform.  They use the oft used term word in politics  - "new";  when in reality, they are the same old, same old, elite; who want to pursue their own agendas regardless of the views of the populace, and continue the disconnect between people and politicians, which imo, brought about the public reaction in the referendum in the first place.  This phenomenon is not confined to the UK, it is a widespread reaction through Europe and the US, where so-called "popular" Parties are in the ascendance.  "Populism" being described by the elite, as if it's some kind of "extreme";  when in fact, the essence of real democracy is to present the electorate with political choices (manifestos), and allow the most "popular" to win majority support. 

I could imagine a much talked about peoples vote being the final nail in the coffin for Brexit. There are so many soundbites suggesting different "deals"  to be put to the public & ,also, stopping Brexit altogether that the waters will be muddied enough to ensure that Brexit is thwarted. It will turn out like proportional representation  elections where there is no clear winner & alliances usually have to be concocted. The only question should be "in or out" & with JC now backing a vote he obviously sees a chance to grab the keys to number 10.

Anything other than us leaving is a betrayal of the electorate by the politicians. 

So nothing new there then.

"vote for me and you can have jam tomorrow" the cry of politicians the world over.

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again, don't get fooled again

Interesting words from 1971, still rather relevant today.