O2 down

Well Well Well the news was full of it today.. but Hey whats up??? You would think the World was ending according to some reactions. ""My Husband won't get home as his sat nav isn't working"" was one housewife's wailed comment "He is working 100 miles away I am desperately worried" Ehh ??? Whats the World coming to. I remember the days before the Internet.. and well Man got to the Moon,Trains ran on time, and people either looked at maps or road signs... Just imagine we survived two World Wars as well and launched The Welfare State. I really despair. Now some peoples data won't work for a day and it national news headlines !!!!

And on a more sombre note in the event of any future war , a few Electromagnetic air blasts over Britain and everything would shut down,what is the Governments plan B for that?

And as a footnote, I went from Warrington to Southport in school holidays with my friends on our bikes aged 14 plus we also got back without sat nav's 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought there were few less zombies about, i did wonder if  there had been a cull.

Must have been really terrifying for the people affected, maybe they can get compensation pay outs to pay for the counselling and emotional trauma.

Can see the adds now. "emotionally scarred from the recent O2 failure? call Fleeceum and Scarper and we will fight your case, some of our clients have received up to £7.50 in compensation."

From what i have heard it was a software problem, probably one dave from microsoft technical department can put right.🤣

• Haha 3

Seems all the pour souls are actually going to get compensation but from O2 Evils.  Do they really need it though... I mean it was only a day they were without. 

I can see how it might have caused problems for business users and maybe they might have lost some business but the compensation of 2 days free extra usage  probably won't help cos most are on unlimited use anyway as are many non business users. 

Even those not on unlimited would have saved data allowance use by not having been able to use it for a day so they now have more left until the end of their month lol.   

I'm sure their customers will be happy to know they are getting compo though.... could be enough to buy a packet of chewing gum if they are lucky enough depending on their monthly contract and tariff  🤔🤣

• Upvote 1

Latchford Locks you remeber when trains ran on time, I don't!

Iti s all very well saying that people managed without them in the past, but if something you relay on gets taken away you will struggle. 

Tesco are offering me 2gb of free data if I top up in January, they will probably take it away at the end of the month. 

No disrespect meant Bill but why does your daughter in law need an app to monitor how many times a day she picks up her phone or how much time she spends online on it.  Sure as she's the one picking it up and using it she should know that she's using it ha ha. 
Could it be that she is using her phone more (as per the monitoring results) because she is now constantly checking the app all the time and that in itself must count towards 'usage'. 

I'd love to know how much time some of my family spend on their phones every day though as they can't seen to put theirs down...shame there isn't an app to spy on family usage.  When they say they "didn't have time" to do something I asked or needed as per usual I could then say "WELL IF YOU'D NOT BEEN ON YOUR BLOODY PHONE FOR ........" :rolleyes::lol:

• Haha 1

I have a phone. can't remember the last time i actually used it to make a phone call. Only gets used to reply to text messages these days, usually off Mrs Sid wanting to know what time i will be back from domino's or bowls. nobody rings me on it part from the usual ppi etc. and even those are getting few and far between. (great feature this blacklist one for cutting down on those calls)

I am sure diz that you could quietly sneak that app Bill is on about into their phones set to run invisibly in the background with a link to your phone. Add a tracking app as well and be your family equivalent of MI5. 🕵️‍♂️🤣

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2018 at 2:54 AM, Milky said:

Latchford Locks you remeber when trains ran on time, I don't!

Iti s all very well saying that people managed without them in the past, but if something you relay on gets taken away you will struggle. 

Tesco are offering me 2gb of free data if I top up in January, they will probably take it away at the end of the month. 

Yes, I always got the Latchford to Lymm train as a kid to go to the dam in summer. always on time there and back 👌

Next to the Lymm Hotel

Lymm railway station was a station to the west of Whitbarrow Road, Lymm, England on the Warrington and Stockport Railway. It opened on 1 November 1853; and it closed to passengers on 10 September 1962. The railway was absorbed by the LNWR. Wikipedia

On 12/10/2018 at 4:00 PM, Bill said:

My daughter in law told me that she had an app that monitored her phone activity and it showed that on average she spent three hours a day online and picked up the phone over 70 times!

I pick up the phone when it rings, about once a fortnight.

Bill :)

I use my phone quite a lot, my soft spot is Youtube, spend far to long on it, I use it to check my bank, my emails, play word games.

I use the GPS on it too from time to time. Used to have a boot full of A to Zs but now if I had to find an address without my phone now I would be stuck.

I am surprised how much people text!

2 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

Next to the Lymm Hotel

Lymm railway station was a station to the west of Whitbarrow Road, Lymm, England on the Warrington and Stockport Railway. It opened on 1 November 1853; and it closed to passengers on 10 September 1962. The railway was absorbed by the LNWR. Wikipedia

Gadzooks ,Latchford Locks ,looking at the map ,Dallam Lane station was still operating in1938. Was that a passenger or goods facility ?

And also ,in reference to Warrington to Broadheath. You could get a train from Bank Quay to Latchford, very handy if you were getting off a train after being on holiday in Towyn or anywhere on that coast,no lugging suitcases all the way to town to get the bus(remember folk didn't go to Spain or have cars back in the 1940/50's)

ticket2_copy.gif

On 12/11/2018 at 4:58 PM, Milky said:

I use my phone quite a lot, my soft spot is Youtube, spend far to long on it, I use it to check my bank,

I am surprised how much people text!

I'm no Luddite but would not feel safe having a banking app on my phone. I really don't think phones are secure enough or maybe it's me being over cautious?I just feel phones are too open to prying eyes 👀

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

I'm no Luddite but would not feel safe having a banking app on my phone. I really don't think phones are secure enough or maybe it's me being over cautious?I just feel phones are too open to prying eyes 👀

I have a lock on my phone and apps and can't help feel apps are more secure then Windows computers.

I have Google pay linked to a card where I don't have more then £300 in it at any one time so if that gets into the wrong hands the loss is not so huge.