Globel Warming

Coffee

All this week I have watched news clips of drought, mountains of ice falling into the sea and reports from islands which will be flooded in years to come. We are told that the ice sheets have been melting since 1979.

THe UN want 100s of millions of more dollars given to them and cuts in global warming gases which will no doubt mean higher costs for UK industry, higher bills to house holds and calls for restriction on us of cars and flights.

Yet the ice sheets are now 5% greater then in 1979 and have been increasing since 2012.

• Downvote 2

I can't say I really understand it all and half the time I just ignore what they all say in the hope it's all nonsense but there was something on the tv news the other day saying this year alone the levels have increased by 1 deg C
so we are half way to the 2 deg C threshold.

I can't find the live tv news report but it was similar to this from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34763036

Total nonsense of course. Global average temperatures haven't changed by any statistical amount for 18 years now, and the smart money is on a long term global DECLINE in temperatures as the world heads inexorably towards the next ice age. None of us will be around to see it though, so the "climate scientists" can carry on with their stories of global warming, and keep on getting their generous government research grants, secure in the knowledge that they (and us) will be long gone before their deceit is uncovered. None of their predictions of global catastrophe have ever come about.

The question isn't about whether the world is getting warmer or not, it is:

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/energy/news/global-temperatures-cross-one-degree-warming-threshold/1021385.article

The question is whether and/or how much of this is attributable to human activity.

Some people believe we can treat the planet however we like and it won't make any difference, others don't.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting Fugs, but where does this 2 degree perceived limit come from? There is evidence to suggest that the whole world could benefit from being warmer (more rainfall, better growing conditions for crops, fewer cold related deaths etc). It's another of those figures plucked from the air by someone with an agenda (also known as picking someone else's pocket).

All this week I have watched news clips of drought, mountains of ice falling into the sea and reports from islands which will be flooded in years to come. We are told that the ice sheets have been melting since 1979.

THe UN want 100s of millions of more dollars given to them and cuts in global warming gases which will no doubt mean higher costs for UK industry, higher bills to house holds and calls for restriction on us of cars and flights.

Yet the ice sheets are now 5% greater then in 1979 and have been increasing since 2012.

Artic ice or Antartic ice Coffee?

Temerity?

Met office ranked in the top two global met services in the world, according to standards set by the World Meteorological Organisation:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/accuracy/forecasts

UEA? Don't know why you've singled them out, a perfectly respectable university currently ranking around 20th in the UK overall, and above places like Sheffield, York and Birmingham for geography and environmental science:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-guide-2016-league-table-for-geography-environmental-studies

• Upvote 1

Temerity -- audacity, hardihood, effrontery, nerve, cheek, gall.

Yes, I know what it means, thanks. What I was questioning was your judgement in regarding them as such. Had it been the Worshipful Company of British Fishfriers who'd made the announcement then I might consider it appropriate usage.

As it is, well, there's a clue in the term "meteorological", it's the kind of thing I'd expect them to do.

• Upvote 2

No amount of "statistical analysis" will show what the effects of a 2 degree rise in temperature. They are guessing, the same as they've been guessing for the last 20 odd years. And they are getting desperate because so far not a single one of their guesses has come true. How many times have we been told we only have 2, 3, 4, 5 or x years to save the world? And as I said before the smart money is on the climate following the cycles it has followed for millions of years and will get colder as we head into the next ice age.

just a statistical anomaly.

They are really getting smaller the scientists say so and scientists are always right. :roll:

Not all scientists agree, you just won't find the ones who don't agree in popular media.The source I quote is from NASA, I think they might have a scientist or two in their employment

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2015/05/19/updated-nasa-data-polar-ice-not-receding-after-all/

If this report was showing the opposite I am sure the BBC and ITV would be running the story

i am really going to put my faith in the opinions of someone who can't even spell global  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I guess Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Pierre Curie, Edison had no worth while contribution as they too struggled with dyslexia, add Stephen Hawkins to the list among many others

Amazing temerity from a group who still can't get tomorrow's weather correct !!! Who did the long term statistical analysis Fug - the University of East Anglia ??

I checked the met office weather site before going out on Thursday morning, no rain it said, so hung out some washing, it poured after 3pm apparently

I guess Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Pierre Curie, Edison had no worth while contribution as they too struggled with dyslexia, add Stephen Hawkins to the list among many others

Wow look at the company you put yourself in with.  Do you have dyslexia?

p.s.  Einstein probably had Aspergers and was never diagnosed as  dyslexic but there you go.

I presume I must be in the company of everybody in the world who doesn't have dyslexia then?

There's a cohort of scientists who are very adept at shouting down any opposition to their views, and name calling. Hence anybody who dissents from their ideas is termed a "climate denier" or "flat earther" without any attempt to engage in any form of rational argument, because "the science is settled". This in itself is absolute nonsense as any scientist worth his salt will tell you that science is never "settled" with new discoveries changing our ideas on a whole range things that were previously believed to be incontrovertible truths. These scientists will present the results of computer models as reality when they bear no resemblence to actual reality as found by real observations.