Globel Warming

Coffee

The claim about the majority of scientists being in agreement about climate change/global warming, call it what you will, is only made by a small number of "climate activists" and has been debunked thoroughly. It is the same "climate activists" who claim that the science is settled not me. There is plenty of material out there which tells the true story - nobody can make accurate climate predictions beyond a few weeks at best, the atmosphere is too chaotic for that. Most claims are the result of the output of computer models being taken as reality instead of fantasy.

All this week I have watched news clips of drought, mountains of ice falling into the sea and reports from islands which will be flooded in years to come. We are told that the ice sheets have been melting since 1979.

THe UN want 100s of millions of more dollars given to them and cuts in global warming gases which will no doubt mean higher costs for UK industry, higher bills to house holds and calls for restriction on us of cars and flights.

Yet the ice sheets are now 5% greater then in 1979 and have been increasing since 2012.

Did you not start this thread???????. 

So when you said the ice sheets are now 5% bigger, you were not talking about the Artic (convenient)

People might find this interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/05/27/climate-skeptics-think-you-shouldnt-worry-about-melting-polar-ice-heres-why-theyre-wrong/

That's exactly the point PJ, these so called polls of so called leading scientists are all designed to get the wanted result. A totally fabricated "concensus". I could show you loads of links pointing out the same thing, but no doubt you would dismiss them all. But can you provide any evidence that any of the alarmist predictions of the last 25 years have come true?

But this whole issue will always be corrupted by vested interests,  the interests of deniers being the oil and gas companies and the interests of supporters being what?  Clean air and a liveable climate for centuries to come.  The sooner the oil runs out the better for mankind.

You are right PJ, 25 years in the lifetime of the earth is a mere blink of an eye. So why are we constantly bombarded by these alarmists warning that unless we stop burning fossil fuels IMMEDIATELY then in 5 years we will all be burned to a frazzle. And 5 years down the line, despite global use of fossil fuels having increased, the earth still goes on it's merry way with little change for the worse or better. There are a lot of people who would lose their livelihoods if  the grants they receive into "researching climate change" were stopped. Why the need for the research if it's already been proved? The answer,of course, is that we know that climate change exists, has always existed. what we don't know is what causes it to change and what sort of change is good or bad. Apart from, of course, the next ice age which is coming whether we like it or not. It won't bother me because I doubt if I'll still be here in several thousand years.

Still waiting for examples of doom laden warnings about climate change that have actually come true.

We were assured by scientists in the 70's that there was going to be a new ice age, since we've not had it yet I can only assume that the Chicken Littles sometimes get things wrong.

Then there was acid rain, who remembers acid rain?

So , acid rain is a fallacy then?

The fallacy of the phenomena which the media labelled acid rain as an actual threat to the environment is...a fallacy, yes.

Over here it was all just a spin off from America, where in the 80s it was successfully marketed by big business as an actual, full scale, end of the world threat, with the soil sterilised and mankind starving and dead, in saving the land of the free from this awful fate, profits were enormous, billions and billions.

Anyway, stop cherry picking.

Where's the ice age we were promised by these same experts gone, then?

and who remembers the millennium bug?

remember it i was in bed for a whole week with it. oh no wait that was the flu bug that was going around at that time. :oops:

Where's the ice age we were promised by these same experts gone, then?

It was pretty cold last night, car was iced over at eight last night.

not really much to do with environmental issues Baz.  

Indeed not, but it was a threat "the like of which we have not seen before" that was foretold by scientists and IT professors around the globe..... and so history tells us that experts aren't necessarily the best people to predict stuff it seems