Mobile mania

Horace

Just been watching some young girls ambling their way to school, their eyes glued to their mobiles. Thumbs working feverishly sending text messages to friends.  This seems to be their main occupation these days - and it means they are living in some sort of digital world and not even noticing what is going on around them.

Is this the future? Or will these youngsters eventually get fed up of texting as they grow older.?

I know what you mean Horace and from what I've seen I'm surprised they don't all get run over or fall over.  It's not just when they are ambling along either, they do it at home, on the bus, in shops and probably even when they are sat on the loo. 

Will they get fed up of it ?... I very much doubt it as it seems the only way a lot of them can communicate.  Gone are the days when youngsters actually phone someone or go round for a face to face chat.

Technology will move on and they will move on to the next thing.  Who knows that may be an implant in the palm of their hands so at least they wont loose their expensive phones or get mugged for them :lol:

I was in the waiting room of the local doctors surgery a few weeks ago and there was a little girls who was no older than 4 years old sat opposite me with her grandma.  Grannies mobile beeped in her bag and the little girl said 'Nanna your phone beeped.  Is it mummy texting?'.  Nanna said 'No' .  The little girl asked if she could text mummy then but Nanna said she had no texts left.......the little girl looked a bit sad but then said  'that's ok ...... she might be on facebook or we can facetime her... can we look nanna'

I just politely smiled although I'm sure my face probably did say what I was really thinking. I'd never even heard of 'facetime' until I asked my son that night either :| 

Or will these youngsters eventually get fed up of texting as they grow older.?

Judging by the number of people seen just this morning texting whilst driving in slow traffice probably not.

as for facebook I have blocked a few from my page. got fed up of going on there and finding seventy odd updates about what they were doing at the time. (and yes some were texting from the loo, as they used to say, gross.

Facetime??? always thought that was how long a woman spent on her beauty treatments before going out for the evening. (tin hat in place door to bunker firmly locked).

:lol: :lol: No Evils, apparently it's something you do on iPhones like a video call I think.

I tend not to accept any 'friend' requests on facebook from people I don't know or only vaguely know and I must admit I have set one relatives so that theirs don't show on my timeline feed at all (or whatever it's called) as they kept sharing naff things direct to my wall too and it really started to annoy me.  Another person always posts things like 'just having a glass of vino while tea cooks' .......  HOW EXCITING !!

I might post on mine 'Just sat on Warrington Worldwide moaning about how boring and sad you all are posting on facebook' ........  see I'm just as bad on here :lol:

83.7 per cent of all human beings now spend more time looking at their phones/tablets/computers than each other!

Sit in any coffee shop or bar and people watch - even couples gaze at their phones or tablets instead of each other.

We are all doomed!

Could be the end of the human race!

I am now gazing out of my window, taking in the scene of the window cleaner cleaning my windows.  Very nice indeed, well apart from the fact I didn't know I had a window cleaner, I think he's supposed to be next door :lol:

I'll wait until he's finished the top ones then I'll tell him :wink:

tawreet me old howler, you certainly are a glutton for punishment, married again and back on here. :twisted:

Diz is he a good looking window cleaner and does he do a good job. If the answers to any of these is yes then it might be worth getting him to do yours on a regular basis provided the price is right. (if the answer is yes to both then hang the expense book him for every week that you can) :oops:  :oops::lol:

As I gaze out of my window i see the rain running down the pane and half finished shed that is being built in one of my neighbours backyards. (the guy doing the job has been working on it for about a week and so far he has three uprights in place and half a roof).

tawreet me old howler, you certainly are a glutton for punishment, married again and back on here. :twisted:

How do Evils, I tried to give up both and failed.

Talking about window cleaners My window cleaner died last week.

But I still talk to him via a squeegee board.  :roll:

• Upvote 1

The thing is that these days "mobile phones" have ceased to be that. try buying one that just makes phone calls and has a handy clamshell design so that it does not try to phone out everytime you put it in your pocket. almost inpossible as even the simplest "phones" now have better resolution on the cameras than standard digital cameras, radio tuners and even limited internet access.

The more expensive "smart phones" do just about everything except wash the dishes and I would not be surprised if there was an app for that. (just found out there is an app for that one that you can set to turn your dishwasher on go figure. same app will also turn your central heating on or off,lights on or off,tv etc. set it up right and you need never get off the armchair again.)

The thing about all this "smart" technology is that it tends to get used by people who are not as smart as it is. know of somebody whose monthly mobile bill went from about twenty pounds to over sixty before they figured out that everytime they turned on the phone it spent about twenty minutes updating from the internet. They were surprised when they noticed that the list of people in the phones directory suddenly included every name of their facebook friends list.

one other thing I have noticed about the new phones is that the head phones now resemble somethng that you once only saw bomber pilots wearing in the war films. Always amuses me to see people walking down the street little tiny phone clutched in their hand connect to a massive set of headphones. (my neice recently bought a pair of headphones when in america for about £100. equivalent ones in the uk cost £260, just to listen to her calls. well probably her music as well, but still twice what my motorbike insurance costs)