The Peace Centre

Sheila_P

I think Sheila_P as said what we all think on this mater quote It's 20 years since the bombing and, in ignorance of the full facts, people may be thinking that all the people who needed help after it have been helped. Maybe the centre could look for partners to open another centre down south and thus share the load.

my thoughts

The warrington people should give other charities a chance. and mybe other`s will then get a chance of getting some money from the government to help them.

It’s a pity as I am not so dis hearted as I should be about this story! my reaction was yes your right camron. but I could be in the minority here

I would love to know what the rest of warrington think

The peace centre building seems to provide space for 4 main groups;

The NSPPC (charity self funding),

The youth club (probably has been funded by WBC - but now there is a youth centre in town centre being funded by WBC so is this needed?,

Resolution training - not sure what this is but from the website it's for 'conflict resolution' in the workplace, in education and in the community - this is surely already covered in the workplace education and community.  

Foundation for peace. - incudes a day event and residential for victims and their families to share their experiences more training and ' what forgiveness means to you' sessions.(?)

I gather it's just the 'foundation for peace' element that is lacking funding. Whilst I don't doubt that the victim and families support for violence and conflict is probably useful this is already provided for elsewhere by children's services, social services and various charities. A specific support service for victims of terrorism was needed here in Warrington after the bombing but as others have already pointed out that was 20 years ago.

I don't really see the point of a peace foundation anymore and really don't understand what all this 'forgiveness' is trying to achieve. 

No normal human being could have failed to have been touched by the needless murder of two innocent young boys or to have felt sorrow and sympathy for their parents. The loss of a child through whatever cause must be the hardest thing in life to bear. I felt, and still feel great sympathy for the Parry's for their loss but from the outset my opinions regarding 'forgiveness' have always been more in tune with Wilf Ball. I remember at the time he said "I can't forgive them - that's God's job" and in this case I think he is right. We are told it is Christian to forgive  - but before forgiveness even Jesus Christ required that there has to be repentance. As far as I am aware there has never been repentance for the Warrington bombing and I believe the only true forgiveness that can be given without repentance has to be as Wilf said - from God. 

I think the Parry's threw themselves into this project as a way of dealing with their grief and trying to make a difference so that the loss of their son's life would not have been in vain. They achieved some really good things in that those who were traumatised by the bombing got the help they needed. I think they were encouraged to make a great campaign out of it by the media and those who saw it as a way to put Warrington on the map. Those two boys will never be forgotten but it's time for Warrington to move on.

Warrington as 'the town that was bombed'  is like living in a town in perpetual mourning. We've got enough misery at present with the effects of the recession, unemployment, hardship and food banks, and any spare cash needs to be spent to alleviate present day suffering.

For the sake of the youngsters growing up today we need to focus on some of the positive aspects of Warrington's history and culture together with cultivating some hope for the future and bring some joyous aspects to the fore.    

• Upvote 6

Well said, Sha.  That is exactly how I feel.

You've saved me having to have a deeper look into the websites to finally make up my mind about its feasibility.  It seems that I had grasped things adequately. That said, I would like to see their accounts.

The courses give the site a very 'businesslike' impression, which doesn't fit well with a charity in my mind.

Just a quick guesstimate, at costs of £100k say, for the first six years and £150k for the second six years of the charity, would be £1.5 million to help 500 people.  I know that's not a massive amount of money in the scheme of things but in the present economic times it's a lot, when similar services are available through the health service.  

David Mowatt has pledged to raise the money needed from the local community and the government.  Surely, since the charity has supported people from the 7/7 bombings and the terrorist attack in Sham El Sheik, and young people throughout the UK, the fundraising should be carried out in the national community, rather than local.

• Upvote 3

I knew someone who worked at the centre some years ago, thought the pay was quite generous, still do not know what they do.

It says somewhere that they have helped over 500 people, they have been going 20 years, so that is 25 people a year?

Yes as Obs says, I think in my last post I have merely summed up what most people have been thinking, what other posters have written and what I have read between the lines of what others have written - together with a note on 'forgiveness' which was an affirmation of agreement with the emotional stance of Wilf Ball. A stance I believe is a normal human response and in reality the most widely held.

As a number of posters have already pointed out, the activities of the Peace projects are certainly not cost effective. Neither have they been confined to Warrington so it is unfair that the people of Warrington should be picking up the tab. I agree with Sheila and would think it fairer that any funding should be from a national rather than local source and also if victims have come from abroad that their home country should contribute - I doubt however that this would be feasible as I can't see any other areas / countries agreeing to contribute.

As I said earlier I think that the Peace project was actively encouraged by politicians, Warrington (city status) publicists and the media, and was initially beneficial to victims and their families. Once this main use subsided it's continued survival I believe has probably to some great part been due to the sensitivity of Warrington people to the sufferings of the Parry's. However I'm afraid, as Freeborn John pointed out, the insensitivity to the other families of victims last year will have damaged the projects popularity with many of the general public and that reliance on funding from this source couldn't be counted on.

Funding from WBC would probably result in cuts to WBC depts who already cover the needs of clients who are victims of conflict, abuse etc. Having these services supplied from one body ensures equality in services and to split resources wouldn't really be fair.

Whether govt funding will be offered remains to be seen - and what budget could it be classed as relevant to?  

For an application for European funding even if they upped the management skills and cost effectiveness and proved worthiness of the courses I don't think that an IRA victims related organisation would get much support considering the present day conflicts in Europe. 

All in all I'd say funding sources looked bleak.

So where does it go from here?

It appears the Parry's intend to fight on supported by the 'Warrington fame team' 

David Mowatt has pledged to raise money from the local community and govt  - his involvement and the recent revelations re immunity for IRA suspects are perhaps a sign that the Peace Centre issue will be used as ammunition for the national political parties to attack each other with. (somewhat ironic to a 'peace' cause!) 

Probably won't be long before other local contenders for a seat in the commons will hop aboard the bandwagon.

Personally I think it would be best if the project had a dignified winding up   'due to lack of funding in times of austerity'

rather than   'collapsed due to lack of public support' 

the latter would be a very sad ending to what was once a worthwhile project.

I suspect however that the Parry's will persist and be very actively encouraged by the political / self publicising / media circus  - who for their own ends will be battling to ensure the show goes on! 

Sha,

I agree with what you have said but personally I think that the one bad legacy of the whole episode is the "river of Life" in the town centre.

This was allowed to happen probably as a knee jerk reaction to the terrible events that took place; again and as you have said above, probably actively encouraged by the Warrington "City of Peace" campaigners.... unfortunately what it has done in my mind is to turn the whole of Bridge Street into one huge sad reminder of the bombings which certainly can't be good for attracting businesses to the street

There were no big memorials built after the Manchester bombing (In fact I think it is only marked by a small brass plaque on a post box) and neither is there anything more than a plaque and a tree at Hartshead Moor services; where an IRA bomb on an army coach not only killed two children, but also killed 8 soldiers and 4 civilians.... how many on here remember that one?

Warrington is now remembered as much for the bombing as it is for its rugby team which I don't think is a very good thing

• 2 weeks later...