Traffic lights

Gary

This has been discussed many times on here Gary; yes you are correct, they are terrible and typical of WBC's traffic management system.....useless.

If we have as many secret visits by councillors on here as you would have us believe, they certainly aren't listening to what has been said about them over the past few years

We are getting another lot on Winwick road when the new entrance to the Alban opens. The new development on Fordton will only clog those lights up further as well.

I was only thinking the other day, Widnes, St Helens and the T Centre have only 2 sets of lights from the nearest motorway to parking in the town. Anyone want to work out Warrington from the M62 or M56?

This has been discussed many times on here Gary; yes you are correct, they are terrible and typical of WBC's traffic management system.....useless.

If we have as many secret visits by councillors on here as you would have us believe, they certainly aren't listening to what has been said about them over the past few years

I realise it has been discussed many times - but if we keep raising the issue hopefully one day someone int he corridors of power might actually take notice!

I think  before the Alban Retail Park was added to an alternative entrance/exit road should have been built  to come from the back of the estate & straight onto Cromwell Avenue which would have taken a lot of traffic off the Winwick Rd/Sandy Lane junction & maybe even the Long Lane junction would have been eased .

There was a TV prog about traffic management and wardens in Bristol; showing the traffic congestion. It's clearly a problem in every Town and City in the Country; and unfortunately one has to conclude that "the car" IS the problem - just too many of them for a finite road space.

Has Rod King hijacked Observers account????

:lol:  :lol:   It's the bottom line Baz; not enough road space to take the volume of traffic. They can't keep increasing "road space" as the built environment prevents it; unless you want to go in for mass demolitions of houses etc !  Over 30 years, one can notice the increased numbers of cars using basically the same infrastructure, and it really is down to numbers. Even parking shows it up; residential areas that were never designed "for the car" are now chocker with cars parked outside their houses, in streets where double parking almost blocks them off. Hate to advocate a divorce from the car Baz; but if more used (free as an incentive) busses or bikes, it would take large numbers of cars out of the queues.

Maybe i chose the wrong route ,i don't know ,but it took me 2 hours to get to where i was parking near Salford University from Newton today for the RLWC final .I  went  via the East Lancs  & from  the M61 it was nose to tail all the way with match & shopping traffic. Coming home was easier.

Obs... FREE busses will never happen so you can rule that one out (well unless you have a free OAP bus pass or are on certain benefits etc of course).

Bikes.. well up to you but you can count me out of that one.  They shouldn't be anywhere near roads and cars if you ask me.

Just think of the amount of money the government would loose out on if all the car drivers stopped using our cars and paying for petrol, road tax, insurance etc... they rely on us. 

Mmm maybe you do have a point though.  Perhaps we all fill in SORN notices for a few months and see what happens :lol: 

Never said "it WILL happen" Diz;  we will carry on, in denial, until one day we reach total grid-lock with no one moving anywhere. Then, like many other things, there will be a sudden conversion to the only solution - less cars. Good point about the revenue though;  but those who do still use their cars to travel on freed up roads (like Baz!), will have to be paying to make up the difference and fund the free busses !

Never said "it WILL happen" Diz;  we will carry on, in denial, until one day we reach total grid-lock with no one moving anywhere. Then, like many other things, there will be a sudden conversion to the only solution - less cars. Good point about the revenue though;  but those who do still use their cars to travel on freed up roads (like Baz!), will have to be paying to make up the difference and fund the free busses !

I hope not....my car tax is already over £420 a year as it is!! :)

Do you drive and have a car Obs?  Would you be willing to completely give it up too if it helped with the gridlock we see in Warrington most weeks?

... just wondered

I wouldn't to be honest and I'm sure that if everyone gave up their cars and took to busses or bikes the sales in many town centre shops would go down too as we would all only buy what we could actually manage to carry home ..... of course there's always the internet for shopping with free delivery from near or far though so maybe that's the answer but then again there would be no need for local shops as out own town warehouses would suffice for that  :wink:

Hey think how many new houses or flats could be built or developed bringing in ever more money to the councils when all the shops and local businesses go bust and a change of use is allowed as there's nothing else left for them or the areas ! 

Doubt I'll see it Diz; but when "total gridlock" finally arrives; it will be a case of having to. Folk will realise there's no alternative; but the Government will be driven into doing something, by the effect that congestion has on the economy, delays to business etc. You never know; corner shops may come back into fashion, even on "posh" housing estates; so folk can walk a hundred yards or so, to get their shopping?!