Windows 7 or 8 ?

Dizzy

Well.... I really need a new PC as mines still completely buggered.  Had a new graphics card fitted a month ago and it's never worked since despite going back to the repair shop a few times and somewhere else too  :evil:  

Anyway......... all the new ones in the shops all come with Windows 8.

Anyone use that and apart from looking like a giant mobile phone with 'apps' on the screen (which I hate) how is it to actually use and are there any major benefits in using 8.  Will software that worked on XP (which I had) and Win 7 work ok on Wondows 8 ?

I'm tempted to just get one from Dell instead as seems you have a choice of  Windows 7 or 8 if you chose from some of their 'business' computers rather than 'home' ones.

Why do things have to be so damn complicated all the time.  :|

Any advice ?

Well, it seems the latest from Microsoft is that they are offering a free down-grade to Windows 7 if you buy Windows 8, that's how popular Windows 8 is. It does work well on anything with a touch screen, like one of those all in one packages with the touch monitors.

They have got rid of the infamous START icon and try to find the shut down icon(there's a prize for it) other than that it seems to work fine, but if you are use to 7 stick with it.

I would stick with Win7, much less problems than Win8, which appears to be much more touch screen orientated. In fact, I have heard that Microsoft are now steering away from ordinary desk top stuff, thinking that touch screen applications (iPads and the like) are the way forward. There are many bargains to be had for desk tops at the moment, I have a new Acer (but with 750Gb memory not the latest 1Tb) and it's brill, very powerful, and was a bargain because the new one's had just been released. 

Dizz I only had the one occasion to use 8 when a neighbour asked me to load some photos on for him, I got there eventually with difficulty so it's definitely 7 for me, although if I could go back to XL I would like a shot!.

Correction. Should read XP. I am not a tech person.  Agree, if you have used a Mac then ordinary desktops are history, but only if you have the money to buy one. And I don't. I keep hoping for the six numbers (five plus one would help) but no such luck. So obviously I was never meant to be rich, so back to busking.

What everyone else says. We have a laptop on board for internet access which uses Windows 8 and it seems awkward to use against Windows 7 but most probably because it's designed for touch screen rather than mouse/touchpad use. Anyway I've only just got used to 7!!!!!

Oh, and Wolfie's comment on Macs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hard drive capacity Wolfie  (Acer Aspire X3990 core i3 750gb desktop)

And I agree Algy, if I could go back to XL I would.

I apologies middlec I confused you, I did mean XP as Jean helpfully pointed out, unlike Wolfie who new exactly what we meant but as usual attempted to gain comedy points from my error!.

• Downvote 1

You really need to get rid of this complex alg. If I had quoted you I could understand your comments but after middlelec had also pointed out that he preferred XL I had my doubts, Who am I to argue with experts, as I have said before I've never passed an exam in my life, so forgive my ignorance.

You really need to get rid of this complex alg. If I had quoted you I could understand your comments but after middlelec had also pointed out that he preferred XL I had my doubts, Who am I to argue with experts, as I have said before I've never passed an exam in my life, so forgive my ignorance.

OK! :D:wink:

Some Common windows Messages :wink:

This will end your Windows 7 session. Do you want to play another game?

Suggested Action.  Emigrate

Windows 7 object doesn't support this property or method. Close your eyes and press escape three times

Bad command or file name!  Go stand in the corner.

Windows VirusScan 1.0 - 'Windows7 found: Remove it? (Y/N)

Some helpful error codes

Windows7_Error: 001 Windows 7 loaded - Warning your computer is now in danger

Windows7_Error: 002 No Error - Check again in 10 seconds

Windows7_Error: 003 Dynamic linking error - Your mistake is now in every file

Windows7_Error: 004 Erroneous error - Nothing is wrong (just testing)

Windows7_Error: 005 Multitasking attempted - System confused

Windows7_Error: 006 Kelvin error: Type Mismatch - phone Kevlar

Windows7_Error: 007 System price error - Inadequate money spent on hardware

Windows7_Error: 008 Broken window. Path not found - phone Glazier

Windows7_Error: 009 Horrible bug encountered - Press F13 for more help

Windows7_Error: 00A Invalid property assignment. Promotional literature overflow - Mailbox full

Windows7_Error: 00B Inadequate disk space - Free at least 50GB

Windows7_Error: 00C Memory hog error - More RAM needed. More! More! More!

Windows7_Error: 00D Window closed - Do not look outside

Windows7_Error: 00E Unexplained error - Please tell us how this happened

Windows7_Error: 010 Reserved for future mistakes by our developers

Windows7_Error: 013 Unexpected error - Huh ?

Windows7_Error: 014 Keyboard locked - Try anything you can think of.

Windows7_Error: 018 Unrecoverable error - System has been destroyed. Buy a new one. Old windows licence is not valid anymore.

Windows7_Error: 019 User error - Not our fault. Is Not! Is Not!

:lol:

Main niggle that I find about windows is the fact that it keeps coming up with updates. Never know what they are for or do but they appear with regular monotony. Trouble is though if you choose not to download a particular one, such as the BING desktop or internet explorer (insert latest version number) then you should have the option to delete them from the updater. Not so and you then keep getting them popping up every now and then asking if you want to download or install them.

There are one or two good bits in windows 7 that I like such as the facility to manage hard drives and partitions easily. one of the drawbacks though is that any external drive cannot be formatted in fat32. a bit of a problem if you have one of those TV's that will accept usb input as they only seem to accept fat 32 and not the ones windows 7 offer.

never had the (misfortune) opportunity to use windows 8 but as some have pointed out it does seem to be aimed at the touch screen I need my internet and such everywhere I go  and will die or worse if I don't have it type of PC.

never had the chance to operate one of the new macintosh machines so cannot comment on what they are like. used one many many years ago and they were a good machine for the task that I used it for but at the time it was limited to what it could do.

Some of your old software should run on windows but it a bit hit and miss as to what and how well, there is the run in compatible mode but never tried it as all the software I have on board runs ok. (With the exception of IE whatever version I have probably 2 or 3 as I have never bothered to get whatever the latest version is)