Let's call time on the monarchy

Nick Tessla

When I joined this forum I believed two things

1) It is not expected to be a full time occupation, I did not "do a runner" as someone put it but I do have other things to do and I claim to be neither omnipresent nor, indeed, omniscient.

2) I beleieved it to be a platform for discussion and of the expression of opinion - even if those views are not universally held . it would appear that some, including those who responded with "Nick Tessla get lost" and "Sod off" do not feel that way - or perhaps they are not capable of forming and expressing more complex responses.

As to the subject in hand, someone described my views as "paranoid". I can only assume this was in connection with Charles Windsor having the right to veto legislation. This is a factconfirmed by Downing Street and reported in mainstream media including the quality newspapers and by the BBC ( and not just republican newsletters edited by beardy weirdy lefties).

Yes, republics can become dictaorships, as can monarchies. However, it does not follow that they become dictatorships because they have an elected head of state. Synchronicity does not mean causality. There will have been many other factors - historical, social, cultural etc. involved - factors that would not apply if we had an elected head of state.

There has been some comparison of Elizabeth II with George Bush II.In reply

1) As I believe i have previously stated - this is not a criticism of the current encumbent - it is the role I detest not the present individual.

2)There is no guarantee that no future monarch will not be as much of a liability as the chimp faced one. Fortunately he was restricted to two terms ( and I would hope that a british equivalent would get voted out after one)- but imagine 60 years of such an embarassment on the throne.

.......but imagine 60 years of such an embarassment on the throne.

Can you imagine if Bliar had managed to weedle himself into the EU top job which is what was wanted???

As for Charles dictating policy; well I feel happier with that than the likes of the three main parties making policy in the first place. Charles is an honourable man and has no financial axe to grind when it comes down to it; unlike many things done by this and previous governments which all seem to be about their own political and financial futures.

Charles is an honourable man and has no financial axe to grind when it comes down to it; unlike many things done by this and previous governments which all seem to be about their own political and financial futures.

Actually Baz, his finances were involved - to quote teh Downing Street spokesperson it related to legislation....

".....that affected the principality of Wales, the earldom of Chester and the Duchy of Cornwall - his private business and property empire."

I agree about Charles. Like his father, he is apt to say what he thinks. I would trust both more than any politician.

As to cost, the royal family cost each person in this country 62 pence per year. Fancy their presence brings in a lot more.

Happy days

I object to the unelected head of state as a matter of democratic principle, not cost However.....

..... The usually quoted cost of the monarchy is £38.3 a year. This is a piece of highly creative accounting which hides the true cost - when you add in security, travel etc. etc. a more realistic figure is around seven times that figure.

Put in perspective our head of state is 112 times more expemsive than the irish one and the most expensive royal family in europe.

All of which is not relevant to my basic objection - although I am sure an elected head of state would not get away with such an obscene cost.

" although I am sure an elected head of state would not get away with such an obscene cost."

What is it that makes you so sure? Please share it with us.

"but imagine 60 years of such an embarassment on the throne."

In what way has Her Majesty been an embarrassment? Please share it with us.

Her Majesty (long may she reign) as been nothing but the most gracious Ambassador for our (that includes you) country that ever there was. And I believe you will find the majority of citizens of this country and, indeed, worldwide would agree.

God Save The Queen!

" although I am sure an elected head of state would not get away with such an obscene cost."

Her Majesty (long may she reign) as been nothing but the most gracious Ambassador for our (that includes you) country that ever there was. And I believe you will find the majority of citizens of this country and, indeed, worldwide would agaree.

God Save The Queen!

Read what I put again Cleopatra - I was asking what 60 years of an unelected head who was like George Bush would be like.

You may also note that I said I was not criticising Elizabeth Windsor - it is the office she holds I detest - not her.

Her Majesty (long may she reign) as been nothing but the most gracious Ambassador for our (that includes you) country that ever there was. And I believe you will find the majority of citizens of this country and, indeed, worldwide would agree.

God Save The Queen!

Anyone that watched 'The Queen's Cousins',would certainly have seen a cause of embarrassment where her mothers nieces were commited to a mental institution by their parents for the remainder of their natural lives without any contact whatsoever from their parents and any other members of royalty and were officially declared deceased while still very much alive. :shock:

I am talking about expenditure. Any revenues could be used in far better ways - so are irrelevant

So all the revenue, made from the Crown Estates, which the Queen owns, and which are given to the Treasury, are irrelevant? Only if you know the £230 million blows your argument to pieces. You know what Nick, if I felt as strongly against a countries constitution as you seem to do then I'd move.

So all the revenue, made from the Crown Estates, which the Queen owns, and which are given to the Treasury, are irrelevant? Only if you know the £230 million blows your argument to pieces. You know what Nick, if I felt as strongly against a countries constitution as you seem to do then I'd move.

Elizabeth Windsor only "owns" these as the unelected head of state. She should not be seen as personally owning these any more than Obama would not claim to personally own the whitehouse.*

Please don't sink to the level of if you don't like it go somwhere else - I am british and my identity as such is not tied up with having a monarchy.

The monarchy and their supporters talk about various things being held in trust for the nation - well I reckon it's about time they gave them back

*The Crown estate website actually says "It is not the private property of HM Queen. "

[quote name='Nick Tessla' timestamp

There has been some comparison of Elizabeth II with George Bush II.In reply

1) As I believe i have previously stated - this is not a criticism of the current encumbent - it is the role I detest not the present individual.

You must be a time lord to have experienced any other monarch. :roll: