Speed Cameras

wolfie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read the comments like great news, I despair.

IF people drove within the speed limit, that's fine, but they DON'T. So why is it good news? Are you people who think we shouldn't have them some of the ones who couldn't care less what speed they drive at in Residential areas?

I have stated before, I am against the 20mph on busy roads through town etc. but if you get rid of the cameras, how are you going to stop people from driving dangerously and killing pedestrians and other drivers? Perhaps a driving ban for 6 months might get your attention. :twisted:

If they put several speed cameras out side every School, Hospital and old peoples home or even in built up areas I would not have a problem, Its when they put them on roads where there are non of the above. It is when they use them not for safety but for income I have a big problem :!:

How are you going to stop people from driving dangerously and killing pedestrians and other drivers?

How do speed cameras currently stop dangerous driving?

All they can ever do is just detect what speed a car is doing at one tiny moment throughout an entire journey. There is no evidence which stands up to scrutiny that they have had any effect at all on overall accident rates. Cameras have absolutely nothing to offer if the goal is changing driving styles or road safety.

Maybe without cameras we'd have a return to the police actually having to police our roads - which would combat dangerous driving (and driving without insurance, driving while banned, driving while drunk or drugged, plus lead to the detection of other crimes due to suspicious motorists actually being stopped and spoken to) rather than just taxing people who stray a mph or two above an arbitrary limit.

Peter,

speed cameras are a revenue earner and their effectiveness in reducing road deaths and injuries are questionable to say the least.

I don't speed on any residential roads and with the exception of motorways (I take my chance like every other driver) I always keep to the speed limit. I am fortunate to have a car with cruise control that will slow down if the car in front does and so I tend to set that on most roads or use the speed limiter function which the car also has.....

When more than ?85 million is made from these things, it just goes to show they are money generators. My mate summed it up quite nicely a few years ago when we were discussing the latest fad of letting you go on a speed awareness course (which just happens to cost the same as the speeding fine of course) and as he put it, they are going to give you every opportunity to pay money rather than lose your licence because if they take that away, they lose a hell of a lot more revenue that the do if you keep it..... just think about all the lost tolls, fuel duty, VAT, insurance tax, car tax etc etc....

How are you going to stop people from driving dangerously and killing pedestrians and other drivers?

How do speed cameras currently stop dangerous driving?

All they can ever do is just detect what speed a car is doing at one tiny moment throughout an entire journey. There is no evidence which stands up to scrutiny that they have had any effect at all on overall accident rates. Cameras have absolutely nothing to offer if the goal is changing driving styles or road safety.

Maybe without cameras we'd have a return to the police actually having to police our roads - which would combat dangerous driving (and driving without insurance, driving while banned, driving while drunk or drugged, plus lead to the detection of other crimes due to suspicious motorists actually being stopped and spoken to) rather than just taxing people who stray a mph or two above an arbitrary limit.

Whilst people like yourself and others on here condone speeding(interpreting your comments), it won't stop it. But if they used them more efficiently, it might deter enough to change people's habits.

Simple solution. STOP exceeding the speed limit!!!!!

Not difficult. It requires mental discipline.

If you stop, you won't be contributing to the Government collection.

Inky, quite a lot get stopped by police in un-marked cars. As for the rest of your comment, there is obviously no punishment severe enough to act as a deterrent.

One of the main problems with the 30 mph is that it was set donkeys tears ago and has never really been assessed. There are lots of roads mainly in towns and subarban areas where 30 is too fast, lots where 30 is too slow.

the police cameras are a fine generating source and nothing else. they do not reduce accidents or even deter the speeder from speeding again. the courses - one of which I attended for doing 35 in a 30 area - cost me ?60 for a pen and little else. this is another con .

I agree whole heartedly for a return to the days when a visible patrol car was used to monitor speeds, not an underhanded camera set behind a post box or hidden in a yellow coloured van were used.

All the government agencies seem to do is scam money out of people - probably because they are supposed to be self supporting not because they are a source of wisdom!.

silverlady54, I believe I am aware, but probably my attention is more on avoiding the holes in the road, negotiating the unsigned speed humps ( especially at night when the bumps are invisible)and avoiding other drivers rather than having to look out for yellow coloured vans and lampposts.

Speed cameras have a place, but not where most are located. Yellow vans have a place, but not where they usually sit in laybyes and on backstreets or on "good " roads, not at known danger spots. They are definitely money grabbers!.