Heatwave -

Observer II

Wasn't summer on a Wednesday last year?

It's been dry now for several months so if it continues like this we could well end up with shortages. 

On the plus side if the water runs out then that's a good excuse for a trip to the pub!!!

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

No doubt we'll have a hose pipe ban in the next few weeks and people will do into panic mode if the sunshine continues..ant then it will snow :lol:

As for the dreaded CO2 shortage.. shops are already removing offers of some of their fizzy drinks and putting them back to normal price presumable to stop people mass or panic  buying.  All a bit strange if you ask me as surely with technology and science these days it is easy to create CO2 bubbles for pops and beers so why is it running out ?  I just don't get it....

A Co2 shortage well that's a new one on me. All that time we've been told that too much Co2 will lead to global warming, end of the world etc and now there's no enough of the stuff!

As for the gas used to protect food going off, I thought they used dry Nitrogen for that and if memory serves, it makes up nearly 80% of the air we breath.

Ah well, at least I don't drink fizzy drinks and a real pint of beer for me isn't full of gas bubbles or come from a pressurized barrel so I'm quite happy with this.

And in todays local news pages the council is warning us all to stay indoors and out of the sun cos we are having a heatwave...blimey do they think we are all stupid? 
Yes it's hot...we only need to go outside and we know that but thanks for the warning in case any of us have missed the fact :unsure::lol:

On a serious note though re the heat....SOME BLOODY IDIOTS still think it's ok to leave their dogs and kids in locked cars while they pop into shops.  Are these people for real ???  

On the topic of dogs, remember on extremely hot days such as those we are experiencing at the moment please remember dogs can suffer burns to their pads, check the pavement for heat before taking your dog on a walk. Place your hand or a bare foot on the surface for 10 seconds. If it is too hot for you to keep your hand or foot on it, then it is too hot for your pet. Stay on grassy surfaces and avoid bare ground when outside in the summer heat.

• Upvote 1

It said on the news this morning that yesterday, our area (Cheshire) had the highest recorded temperature in the UK, hitting just over 31 degrees and it looks like it might be a repeat performance today. My in car temperature was showing 37.5 for most of the day and even with the aircon working flat out it was having little affect.

Got a load of jobs to do inside the house today so the sun tan top up will have to wait.

well by opening the window and putting the fan into overdrive i have managed to keep the temp in this room below 30c (29.6 at present) fortunately car at front of house so in the shade otherwise it would have melted by now it being mostly plastic.

after three days of being out in the sun i have managed to get a nice white even colour over most of my exposed parts. ( arms and legs you shameful lot you) :shock::D

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2018 at 6:36 AM, algy said:

On the topic of dogs, remember on extremely hot days such as those we are experiencing at the moment please remember dogs can suffer burns to their pads, check the pavement for heat before taking your dog on a walk. Place your hand or a bare foot on the surface for 10 seconds. If it is too hot for you to keep your hand or foot on it, then it is too hot for your pet. Stay on grassy surfaces and avoid bare ground when outside in the summer heat.

Good advice Algy.  It was so hot yesterday that tar in a pavement near us was actually melting. It was like a joining strip not the actual stony pavement. I didn't notice until I stood on it and my shoe stuck and came off.  Yes the pavement was hot with a bare foot lol.

Sods law I had my favourite comfy and fairly new WHITE soled summer shoes on.  I managed to immediately scrape some of the melted tar out of the tread pattern with a strong piece of plastic then got a bit more off later with a knife after it hardened but there's no way I can get it all off. 

On the positive side though at least it was me who stood on it and not my dog :(

On 6/27/2018 at 8:30 AM, Bill said:

It said on the news this morning that yesterday, our area (Cheshire) had the highest recorded temperature in the UK, hitting just over 31 degrees and it looks like it might be a repeat performance today. My in car temperature was showing 37.5 for most of the day and even with the aircon working flat out it was having little affect.

Got a load of jobs to do inside the house today so the sun tan top up will have to wait.

My dads weather station in his garden was showing 37 degrees on Tuesday too Bill.  Blummin' hot that eh?

Hope you got all your jobs done :D

On 6/27/2018 at 3:01 PM, Evil Sid said:

.....after three days of being out in the sun i have managed to get a nice white even colour over most of my exposed parts. ( arms and legs you shameful lot you) :shock::D

:lol::lol::lol:

So what colour were your exposed parts  before you managed to get a nice even white colour :lol: 

6 hours ago, Dizzy said:

So what colour were your exposed parts  before you managed to get a nice even white colour :lol: 

The usual pale blue usually associated with freezing conditions.:wacko:

Great stuff butter, can be used to remove tar, stop hinges squeaking and tastes great on toast. warm soapy water and a toothbrush (an old one of course, unless you want to upset your partner/offspring) and plenty of patience.

Have seen mayonnaise or cooking oil mentioned as an alternative as well. wd40 was always my choice for removing tar from my skin although removing the wd40 afterwards was another problem.(wd40 being resistant to water makes it difficult to just wash off)

• Haha 1