The Warrington Guardian

grey_man

I see they won't allow anybody to read stories online if they have an ad blocker on their browser. I've got an ad blocker and still saw ads anyway because they were part of the page layout. I'm sure many people are the same. I don't mind ads that are included on the page but I don't want pop ups and huge ads that obscure the content. Nor do I want to find extra tabs and windows opening up. That's why I have the ad blocker. I bet their advertisers will be fascinated by their plummeting readership as a result of this idiocy and I also bet Gary and his colleagues will be delighted they've decided to shoot themselves in the foot in this way.  

• Upvote 2

I gave up with the Guardian ages ago because of the sheer volume of advertising that I was having to fight my way through. I accept that commercial organisations need to raise revenue from advertising, WorldWide probably more so than the Guardian but it's the degree and the manner in which this is taken that can have the inverse affect and end up turning people away. I don't mind seeing adds on a news page but I don't like it when they overwrite the story, pop up or jump about in an attempt to grab you attention.

Bill :)

I use firefox with adblock plus (disabled on here of course :roll: ) and had this problem with the guardian website.

So i disabled it on their website as well, trouble is their adblocking detection software is totally pants and keeps insisting that i have an adblocker running. reloading the relevant page gets rid of the annoying message and thus allows me to read the article until i then go to another article and have to go through the whole process again and again and again.

Oddly i also have an issue with their login process doing something similar. i will log into the site, go to the home page select an article to comment on and find that it says i have to log in. press the key to login and what do you know i am already logged in. go back to the article again and i am not logged in.

No idea who is responsible for their IT but whomever it is needs to have a good look at the system before binning it and starting again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tried with the 2 latest versions of Firefox and Chrome, both with Ad Block Plus enabled

Got the same nag message pop up in Chrome, but not with Firefox

Gave up on the Guardian years ago, prefer the ink to stay on the paper and not on my hands plus there being being more ads than news.

I occassionally read one of their sister papers (from the NE) which is published daily and you dont get any of that business on there plus they manage more news per day that the WG does in a week for only a slightly larger catchment area

Their advertising and all the white space takes up more of the page than the actual stories.

I'm on a 24" monitor and their content is squashed into the middle of the monitor.

All of that advertising should pay for someone to design them a decent website.

Their advertising and all the white space takes up more of the page than the actual stories.

I'm on a 24" monitor and their content is squashed into the middle of the monitor.

All of that advertising should pay for someone to design them a decent website.

Also worth pointing out that a lot of their editorial team work from a base in South Wales as part of the newspaper group to which they belong. Explains a lot about the 'quality journalism' they want us to gum up our browsers for.  

Well the answer is simple guys - just read worldwide which is pop up advertising free and will remain so - we do carry some advertising as everything we do is free - but as we have discovered ourselves visiting other sites - if you get pop ups which freeze and slow down your visit - you will be put off visiting full stop.

• Upvote 2

WWW News pages are and always have been better laid out imo than the WG,      not that I visited their site often and it will be even less now.  

One would think that as they are part of a group the same policy would apply to other the newspapers as well - they dont in case although both the NE one I look at 1 daily and 1 weekly carry a lot more news content than the WG does and do not have that nag message

I use the WG webpage & don't get pop ups & neither does the other advertising spread around the page bother me, i just read what i want to on that particular page & ignore the ads. Advertising could possibly be how the Guardian is funded.

I buy a well known daily paper & if you take away the advertising all the news would fit on half a dozen pages.