Unusual Plane - Any Ideas?

Sheila_P

Driving home last night just after 10pm, I saw what appeared to be a light aircraft zig-zagging over Woolston Park.

It had a bank of blue lights underneath it, which were quite bright.

Anyone know what it might be, please?

UFO has to be a friend of mine seen the same aircraft a couple of years ago in the same area.

UFO has to be a friend of mine seen the same aircraft a couple of years ago in the same area.

A UFO didn t cross my mind.

It was a white craft, with wings squared off at the ends.

It was flying very low over the trees and doing a little zig-zag.

On account of that, my first thought was that it was a remote controlled plane but it seemed too big to be remotely controlled.

There were some (possibly approx 5) rectangular bright blue lights on the undercarriage.

I am still puzzled by it.

Almost certainly the police aircraft. We normally see the helicopter but the police do have a light aircraft which is a turbo prop that has squared off wing ends and I saw it over the park last week during daylight hours.

Sounds like it was searching the park and probably using the infra red scan techniques :shock:

Almost certainly the police aircraft. We normally see the helicopter but the police do have a light aircraft which is a turbo prop that has squared off wing ends and I saw it over the park last week during daylight hours.

Sounds like it was searching the park and probably using the infra red scan techniques :shock:

Thanks, Indy. It did have squared off wing ends.

It was just about dusk when I saw it. It was very low over the trees.

Mystery solved :D

Little question though.....

Isn't the police plane blue and yellow like their helicopter and are light aircraft, such as the police plane, able to fly very low over trees doing little zig-zags like you described Sheila. :shock::unsure:

The Police plane is/was a Britten Norman Islander twin engine jobbie which is fairly large. It does have square wing tips but it would never be seen flying at anything much less than about 500ft and certainly wouldn't be zig-zagging at tree top level.

I haven’t see the plane in ages but it used to be a regular feature in the sky round here flying in long slow circles.

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=428323&nseq=7

Bill :)

Little question though.....

Isn't the police plane blue and yellow like their helicopter and are light aircraft, such as the police plane, able to fly very low over trees doing little zig-zags like you described Sheila. :shock::unsure:

I only saw it from underneath and from that perspective, it looked white.

The Police plane is/was a Britten Norman Islander twin engine jobbie which is fairly large. It does have square wing tips but it would never be seen flying at anything much less than about 500ft and certainly wouldn't be zig-zagging at tree top level.

I haven’t see the plane in ages but it used to be a regular feature in the sky round here flying in long slow circles.

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=428323&nseq=7

You ve got me now, I am rubbish at distance but this one was not too much above roof top level, as I remember.

The striking thing was the blue lights underneath it.

We only saw it for about 30 seconds or so and I am working from memory (after the surprise/shock).

Chesire police did apparenly have a blue one with a white underside but whether they still have that one I'm not sure. I always thought it had been replaced/repainted with the blue and yellow colours we now associate with them and occasionally see. I coud be wrong though :oops:

Here's a picture and link showing that one although it doesn't say whether the image is of the one they actually had.

Can't see any banks of light under it though but clever what this one could/can do.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16728

Being the nosey sort of person I am if I was you Shiela I'd just ask the police and tell them what I saw :wink:

They have a twitter and facebook page if that helps :wink:

It definitely wouldn’t have been the police plane (if we still have one) so maybe you saw the same thing that Indy spotted. Also the infra red that the police use is completely invisible unless someone’s invented a BLUE infra RED light. :mrgreen:

Indy may well have seen one but I haven’t seen the plane for probably over a year or so and before that it used to be buzzing round almost on a daily basis. Also light aircraft don't zigzag over the trees (unless they're about to crash maybe) and certainly don't normally have banks of bright blue lights on their underside.

I think some police forces do have some fairly large remote control planes to help in searching large areas. My guess though is that this was probably some kind of remote control toy helicopter.

Indy may well have seen one but I haven’t seen the plane for probably over a year or so and before that it used to be buzzing round almost on a daily basis. Also light aircraft don't zigzag over the trees (unless they're about to crash maybe) and certainly don't normally have banks of bright blue lights on their underside.

I think some police forces do have some fairly large remote control planes to help in searching large areas. My guess though is that this was probably some kind of remote control toy helicopter.

After reading all the posts, I too am leaning towards it being something remote controlled.

I thought it would be too large to be remotely controlled but I guess it might just be very light in weight.

Hopefully, it will fly again soon and I will try to get a better look.

Driving and plane spotting don t make a good combination :unsure::shock:

My guess though is that this was probably some kind of remote control toy helicopter.

Ohh blimey I'm getting more confused by the minute :oops:

I'm almost sure that helicopters (remote or otherwise) don't have squared off wings though Bill :wink: