Warrington Walking Day

Gary

You should know by now that Dizzy doesn't jest Cleo... predictable is boring :blink::lol:

Shame on you though Sadako as it was on the news pages and was even added to the forum calendar over a week ago so not only did it show there but it also showed at the bottom of the main forum page as an upcoming event reminder :wink::P:lol:

You should know by now that Dizzy doesn't jest Cleo... predictable is boring :blink::lol:

Shame on you though Sadako as it was on the news pages and was even added to the forum calendar over a week ago so not only did it show there but it also showed at the bottom of the main forum page as an upcoming event reminder :wink::P:lol:

Now come on Dizzy - who didn't see the Orford Park event publicised :oops::wink:

:lol::lol:

Blimey Gary, it's not like you to be on here this time of the night. Quiet day eh resulting in you still being full of energy even though it's almost turned 11pm. :lol:

Not my fault that your archiving of certain stories somehow missed my eyes there :P

You could have put it on the forum calendar though :lol::wink::P

It was a complete nightmare as far as I was concerned. My van was due for MOT and tax before the month is over and was in for some welding - at Brook Place, off Knutsford Road. The road was cordoned off by 09.00 with people milling about on it. When I finally got it onto the road to get to the testing station (in Bewsey) I found I had to negotiate a lot of people who seem to think that, as it's Walking Day, they can walk into any road without looking. All this was after a ten-hour overnight shift.

Finally got there and it is now legal, but I'm so glad I work out of town, since Walking Day has become mainly an excuse for adults to drink themselves stupid by teatime.icon_rolleyes.gif

Unkind comments. perhaps. Still a procession of witness for so many people, and I believe there was a good turn-out of on-lookers. Will be a sad day if Walking day meets its demise.

I saw "celebrations" at several drinking places and wondered how many of them had actually been involved with the walk.

Happy days

I didn't log on for a while and haven't read the papers for some time as work is hectic and long hours at the moment. Luckily I leave the house early in the mornings as I live in the centre otherwise I wouldn't be able to get out.

TBH at one time the streets were shut a lot longer on Walking Day whereas today i think they use a type of rolling street closure in order to reduce disruption to traffic.

There was one year, I recall, While I was walking down Orford Lane, St Benedict's Church was parading back to the church. On Pinner's Brow, an HGV came up behind them. The driver, 'creeping' behind them, was blasting his horn for the procession to get out of the way but they ignored him and continued with the walk. Impatiently, the driver tried to overtake the procession near the alliance box works. At this stage a policeman in plain clothes walking with the church stepped out and signalled for the driver to stop. He then went upto to the HGV and pulling out his warrant card from his back pocket and flashing it at the driver, he proceded to give him a right telling off, ending by ordering him to stop where he was untill the procession had finished and if he dared to move one inch before then he would arrest him.

• Upvote 1