Are the old paying enough?

Lt Kije

Algy

That's half the problem we have slowed down on the production of new "oldies" we are not having as many kids, so we have less people to pay for the people who have retired,

Asp Your proof

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/news-and-events/news/elderly-people-account-for-bigger-proportion-of-nhs-hospital-activity-every-year-report-shows

Has anyone got any ideas what to do about it, I think it is safe to say their is a problem how about some suggestions

It's not all that bad - old people are still dying!

We are not producing enough newbies Algy, how do you suggest we speed up production, please keep it clean :wink::lol:

Judging by your original assessment of the situation we have too many newbies but not enough in work to support us oldies, so what is the point of producing more newbies that will take 18+ years to enable them to earn sufficient moneyto pay tax to help support us oldies, the parents of the newbies will only place an extra burden on the economy by paying benefit to their parents or parent in the case of single mothers, then the cost of education then welfare to support them because there are no jobs for them, so as I said stop or slow down producing newbies, or do as the Chinese do and fine the parents for producing more than one. :wink:

So what's your solution Algy, not enough people to keep the government pension promises, what would you do?

stop giving our money away to every basket case in Europe and the rest of the world and look after our own first!

• Upvote 1

How do you know it won't come close?

Do you have figures for the up coming shortfalls in pension funds? because I can give you figures of how much we net contribute to Europe and how much we give in aid to countries with their own space programmes and how much we give in benefits to families of EU workers and even how much we lose every year to health tourism......

Plus we can also start by cutting benefits to the workshy and giving it to those who HAVE worked all their lives rather than those who won't

So there's a few billion to be getting on with......

Mrs Sid is about to become a pensioner (1 year and a few weeks after she expected to) in her whole working life she has worked or paid contributions for 10 years. for the last 34 years she has been married to me and has not worked.( that is one job for somebody for all those years)

Any how, she will get a proportionate pension according to her contributions which comes to about £38 per week. When/if I reach retirement age she will be entitled to claim some of my contributions, how much I am not sure.

I have a works pension which I am currently claiming and 36 years contributions. the extra 6 years over the required thirty net me a grand total of £2.50 per week on top of my state pension. so having put in my time why should I now have to suffer less money and higher prices when/if I reach retirement.

especially galling when no government in the past thirty years has voted against having a "substantial" pay rise for itself, despite what the state of the country is. Now if they voted to have a pay cut I would definitely vote them in again.

• Upvote 1

Think your disappearing up your own jacksey Kije: it's rather difficult for "youngsters" to "support" pensioners, when we currently have the highest youth unemployment in recent times. Perhaps if we deported all your immigrant and EU mates, there would be plenty of jobs to go round for both young and the pensioners who are being forced back into work? :wink:

Thank you Lt Kije. For shooting your own argument down in flames :roll: :roll:

If you had bothered to read the article you posted and did a bit of arithmetic you would have found that the numbers of hospital stays recorded for that particular period are:

Under 60s 9372300

Over 60s 7480930

And, given that 60 isn't old these days (I'm 60 and I'm not old) and one of your arguments is that a dwindling number of young people are being asked to support a growing number of old people, the proportion of young people being hospitalised is greater than the number of old people. Over to you Einstein :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thank you Lt Kije. For shooting your own argument down in flames :roll: :roll:

If you had bothered to read the article you posted and did a bit of arithmetic you would have found that the numbers of hospital stays recorded for that particular period are:

Under 60s 9372300

Over 60s 7480930

And, given that 60 isn't old these days (I'm 60 and I'm not old) and one of your arguments is that a dwindling number of young people are being asked to support a growing number of old people, the proportion of young people being hospitalised is greater than the number of old people. Over to you Einstein :wink: :wink: :wink:

I did say earlier on he was in a 'loop' and in danger of disappearing up his own backside! :wink::lol: :lol: :lol:

Here we go

Asp are you saying that older people do not account for a bigger proportion Of hospital activity

Yes or no will do. Because the NHS are saying they are.?

Algy read the report :wink:

Sid you should not suffer, but those who come after you will suffer more, I am trying for solutions, still waiting an algy and Asp.

60 isn't old these days (I'm 60 and I'm not old) .......

No No No !! ..... that can't be right Asp. :shock: Are you sure you are 60 as I always had you down as being around the mid to late 40's :unsure:

I shall go now and leave you all to your discussion as I am not one to to contribute unnecessarily :wink::lol:

Here we go

Asp are you saying that older people do not account for a bigger proportion Of hospital activity

Yes or no will do. Because the NHS are saying they are.?

Algy read the report :wink:

Sid you should not suffer, but those who come after you will suffer more, I am trying for solutions, still waiting an algy and Asp.

You'll wait for ever more, as far as I'm concerned, you have the problem, I don't, I am at the tail end of my time here and what time remains I am not going to waste worrying about a problem you can't find an answer for, so continue with your quest my friend and I wish you 'Good Luck'. :wink::D :grin: :D

• Upvote 1

Lt Kije, you are the one that needs to read the report!! They are talking about the rate of increase of use not the proportion of people. You know - statistics and damned lies!! You only need to look at A & E to see who is needing treatment. Children need hospital treatment more often than the elderly, from birth to adulthood. Women of childbearing age need to visit hospital far more than older women. Young men are more likely to sustain sporting injuries than older men. And apart from that you still haven't told us where you draw the line between the young and old. 30? 40? 50? 60? 70?

I think you need to give up this argument without legs :wink: :wink:

PS I mean the argument doesn't have legs, not you personally :D :grin:

No No No !! ..... that can't be right Asp. :shock: Are you sure you are 60 as I always had you down as being around the mid to late 40's :unsure:

I used to be, 10 to 15 years ago :wink: :wink:

Mind you every time I go into a pub I expect they will ask for proof of age :D :grin: :D

I shall go now and leave you all to your discussion as I am not one to to contribute unnecessarily :wink::lol:

My dreams are shattered too Dizzy. I had him down as a young buccaneer and now I find out he's just an old seadog! :cry::cry::blink::D

My God! Older than I am....I'm astonished. I just look at what I have paid into the welfare state over the years (I've worked since I left college in 1974) and hope that some of it will still be available to keep me alive for a while when (and if...) I reach whateveer retirement age the government decides applies at that stage. I simply can't see why a government elected democratically by all of us is spending a lot of the money from my wages to send to other countries for whatever reason, then I get bombarded by charity requests on behalf of those same countries....Or is it just me that is confused by this?