Euro Song -

observer

....and the fact that we always have shite songs could have something to do with it too :oops::wink:

How come the BBC has just chosen Humptydink to represent us behind closed doors anyway (apart from the fact like Obs says they may think we have a little chance of some votes now as he is know in other countries so may be a little better respected than a newbie 'cos he has been around for so many years. Is he 75 or 76 by the way?)

Did anyone else put their names forward or was he the only runner? I guess many would steer well clear for the fear of their career being doomed due to 'Nil Points' :blink:

What ever happened to the UK pre selection competitions and 'vote for your favourite to represent US' that we were included in until a couple of years ago ?

It's taken what little fun and interest there was left in it for me anyway and maybe others here too.

I just realised... my second question sort of answered my first comment. Eek... it was 'us' the UK public who voted for all our countries past shite eurovision songs although I hasten to add that none of the ones I liked ever got the most votes and went through to represent us, so it wasn't my fault :lol:

Can't say I will be missing out on any sleep over it all though. :lol:

I guess that depends on how good the 11 year old is that they are comparing us all with.

I seem to remember a 9 year old passing his A'Level maths at grade A a couple of year ago and I think a couple of 7 year olds also passed it too :wink:

Anyway back to the Eurovision Humpydink thing as it seems you/me are already going off topic... but as it's one of yours anyway I guess it doesn't matter :wink::P

Humperdink has his last top 20 hit 40 years ago in 1972 so I guess that means that only those now over the age of 55+ like/liked him.

So all we have to hope for is that all the voters around the world are old :wink:

It will be interesting to see what song he gets to sing though as the BBC are saying we will be surprised. Wonder if that means it wont be his usual ballad types..... any guesses ?

I recon Elton John, Phil Collins or Meatloaf would have been better choice though if we have to have an oldie. Any of those and I would have tuned in to watch.

Thank god we don't have the likes of Jedward representing us again though :shock::wink:

Oooh bugger I got carried away 'cos I had been watching my three on youtube and I never thought of that :oops:

Meatloaf is bloody good though and all he would need was is dual nationality or something that says 'British Citizen' on it and everyone else manages to get them these days :wink:

How come you met Humptydink and got a kiss from him Cleo.

Where were you, when was it and how many years was it before you washed it off or haven't you yet :wink::lol:

Oooh bugger I got carried away 'cos I had been watching my three on youtube and I never thought of that :oops:

Meatloaf is bloody good though and all he would need was is dual nationality or something that says 'British Citizen' on it and everyone else manages to get them these days :wink:

How come you met Humptydink and got a kiss from him Cleo.

Where were you, when was it and how many years was it before you washed it off or haven't you yet :wink::lol:

Twas many years ago, 1967 if I remember correctly, could have been 1966. A small group of us went expecting to see Dickie Valentine at The London Paladium (was surprised at how small it was inside and a bit grotty) but Dickie Valentine had taken ill and Englebert Humperdink replaced him. We met him in the foyer after the show.

katrina and the waves were American but they represented the UK.

Arnold George Dorsey, born Madras India, Mat 2nd 1936, to British Army officer Mervyn Dorsey and his wife Olive. Humperdinck is an Anglo-Indian, his mother being of Indian heritage, His family moved to Leicester, England, when he was 10. He soon showed an interest in music and began learning the saxophone. By the early 1950s he was playing saxophone in nightclubs, but he is believed not to have tried singing until he was 17, when friends coaxed him into entering a pub contest. His impression of Jerry Lewis prompted friends to begin calling him "Gerry Dorsey," a name he worked under for almost a decade, no real success until he started using the name Englebert Humperdink. First major hit to enter the top 10 both sides of the Atlantic was "Release me".

NO I AM NOT A FAN AND YES I DID GOOGLE THIS INFORMATION. :D :grin:

I tried to find a recent video clip on youtube of him singing but I can't. The latest one I could find was his concert in 2000... 12 years ago :unsure:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but there wasn't one on his website either although his photo did look like he had a lot of makeup on (possibly to hide the wrinkles and aged skin) but he was also wearing eyeliner.... not good to wear eyeliner and he looked rather daft :lol:

I tried to find a recent video clip on youtube of him singing but I can't. The latest one I could find was his concert in 2000... 12 years ago :unsure:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but there wasn't one on his website either although his photo did look like he had a lot of makeup on (possibly to hide the wrinkles and aged skin) but he was also wearing eyeliner.... not good to wear eyeliner and he looked rather daft :lol:

I wonder if he would consider singing "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life", might stand a chance if he did!. :wink::D :grin: :D