Should it be free?

harry hayes

Had an old sofa to get rid of. YMCA brought a replacement but couldn't take the old one away cos the tip doesn't allow if a van has a name on its side.

Contacted the local authority and they charge £20 ( for a contractor to remove I believe). Very polite; excellent service; but should this not be done free in that it is a basic of what we pay rates for?

Just as a matter of interest the service from the YMCA shop and workmen was also excellent and cheap.

Happy days

Just in case you think I should have bought new - a life guarantee, or even 5 years, seems slightly hopeful.

We found the same when we had an old one to get rid off too Harry. We have a friend with a van but he's not allowed in either.

In the end we just got a saw and let off steam by cutting it up and taking it in our car. It was quite theraputic actually.

£20 does seem a bit expensive although if they are using contractors rather than their inhouse vans then that's probably why.

You could always just dump it somwhere like many other people do as the council's vans come and remove them promptly and for free then :blink::wink:

You could always offer it on Freecycle if it still has some life left in it. It would definatly go quickly.

I had them collect 2 old setees a few months ago. They will take up to 3 bulky items for £20. White goods are collected free by a contractor. Benefit claimants can have one bulky collection per year. Moral of the story? If you've got a bulky item to get rid of become a benefit claimant. Easy :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wavy Davy - as per the others. That's who I contacted. Collection on the day I wanted. Good service but still think it should be free.

Might add that both St Rocco's and the YMCA will take the old one away when delivering a fresh one -but only if they can put it in their show-room and sell it.

Happy days

Given the number of sofas and dyson type cleaners that tend to appear dumped in the back alleys,I would suppose that the £20.00 fee is to cover the cost of picking those up.

They will take white good free as they can make a few bob on them either as spares or as a working device.

or am I just tad too cynical about that. 8)

Harry..... how big is it ? (and could a woman with a saw modify it a bit if needed ?)

If so PM me and I'll happily take it to SH tip for you in our 4x4 on Saturday. I recon I owe you a favour anyway after all your help with my family tree :wink:

:D

Harry..... how big is it ? (and could a woman with a saw modify it a bit if needed ?)

If so PM me and I'll happily take it to SH tip for you in our 4x4 on Saturday. I recon I owe you a favour anyway after all your help with my family tree :wink:

Did Harry show you how to use the saw to chop up your family tree then?? :D