You can't do that there here, health & safety and all that

Cleopatra

I think I might be starting to like this present government. One or two of the members are showing signs of having some sense.

Latest example to come from Whitehall is the observation about the epidemic of Health & Safety excuses to stop people having fun, such as banning kite flying, sack racing on schools' sports days, field games, dodgem cars bumping into each other, monkey bars and royal wedding street parties etc.,etc.,

The Health & Safety Executive has stated that these bans have no basis in official regulations, which are meant to protect workers in their workplaces, and are being used to stop people having fun. The government is encouraging people to challenge these bans.

Let's hope that such encouragement is extended to include the pc brigade preventing such things as flying the flag of England/Britain because it might offend ethnic minorities and the wearing of religious symbols etc., etc.,.

I just read that news article and I thought the same as you Cleopatra. Hurrah someone showing a bit of common sense at last.

But on a down side they, as like you say, are asking people/the public to challenge these bans. This means that someone somewhere, maybe a council or school etc) would then have to overturn the bans.

If say the council decided that yes kids can play conkers, swing of monkeybars etc etc and little Johnny or Mildred then got hurt the 'had an accident.. not your fault' claims brigade would then sue the council as they had allowed it.

Surely before all this can be done the government need to stop all these no win no fee accident companies and people who use them from taking the <you know what>

This isn't about H&S, it's about the fear of litigation by the compen brigade - which has made managers paranoid about covering their backs. There's no longer such a thing as a pure accident - it's always someone else's fault - which provides the opportunity for the "no win, no fee" lawyers. :roll:

The jackson report is being impelmented by this Government which will change the No Win No fee structure and therefore alter the legal landscape significanlty. Add to this the HSE review due to report in October, and I think you will see that something is being done.

If you dont agree start and petition and with 99,999 others agreeing you may get somewhere.

Where's the fun in being a kid anymore if you can't fall out of a tree, get stuck in a hay bale stack or hit your head on the bottom of the river? We all survived, as far as I know. It's all down to PC, a certain group of people seem to go to sleep each night and dream of what they can force on people tomorrow. Isn't it amazing how these minority groups (not meaning ethnic), have such loud voices and always seem able to drown out the voice of reason.

Texas has just passed the frivolous lawsuit law, a judge decides and if he saya it's frivolous, the whole bill is on you - both sides. The trial lawyers are screaming fit to be tied.

Did you get a cerfificate :unsure::lol:

There is a need for H&S and also a need for certain claims where as a result of someone else's negligence another gets injured etc. By that I mean say a surgeon removing a lung instead of an appendex, or an accident at a work place such as a person falling down a lift shaft as floor of the lift hadn't been screwed on properly, or maybe even an uninsured driver or drunk person. You know what I mean although some of those are probably a bit extreme.

Cases where people claim for getting something in their eye when they 'should' have been wearing protective goggles or like the bloke on the advert who says 'I was installing an alarm and was given the wrong ladders and I fell'.... my reply to them would be USE YOUR BRAINS DIMWITTS !!

And my reply to all those who claim whiplash and the likes when they havent got it after a tiny little bump in a car.. well I can't put what I would say to them nor can I put what I would say to their 'no won no fee' leeches.

Anyway I'm rambling and in my haste to type this at the same time as doing my tea I just took my 'cook in the bag in the oven for moistness and flavour' chicken out of the oven. The oven door sprung back for some reason making me drop the tray and the bag on the floor, the bag burst and the steam burnt my foot and I caught my arm on the hot door as it shut too.

So do I claim of the oven manufacturer, the food manufacturer, the bag manufacturer or myself?

My fault... simples so and I've just given myself £5 to shut 'me' up. Now what shall I have for my tea... ah I could also claim for expenses for having to cook something else, plus time, plus loss of food, plus inconvenience ... another £2 coming my way in a sec :D

The problem is mainly with people not the government, If people stopped suing the government when they had an accident, the government and the health and safety people would not have to bring in new rules, to stop people suing them, yes some of the health and safety rules are just stupid, but some of them have been put their because people have seen an easy way to make money

Unfortunately, we have folk in this world, who arn't "risk aware" or put another way, lack "common sense" - hence the need for "training" in H&S. Every now and again, one such person does something stupid, which causes themselves or others injury or even death. Then the Unions and claims lawyers pile in, to sort out the blame game, and the relatives of the deceased claim "financial" compensation, not that that will bring back there loved one of course, but no doubt makes the grieving process a little easier to bear. We can see examples around us every day - EG: Watched a woman today, pull into (across) a side street in her car, in order to answer her mobile phone. Pulling in and stopping to answer the phone - full marks for nouse. However, she'd parked across a roadway, thus causing an obstruction - nill points for nouse. :roll:

Who needs enemies with friends like me around eh ? :wink: Anyway I'm not your friend any more Peter after you blamed me for all the H&S nonsense... yer on yer own mate :P

Maybe you could put a claim in against me as I'm sure some claim company or court somewhere would say it is a human right to have at least one friend but now you have none due to my actions £££££'s :lol::wink:

Infact you may be 'on your own' sooner than you think cos my pc's appears to be packing in slowly but surely although I've just managed to get it back on again. Not suprising really considering all the hammering it gets.

So I will bid you all farewell incase it goes for good next time.

Yes I heard you all shout BLISS and HURRAH :P

Very sad story as four kids are now orphans but I know what you mean Obs.

Two deaths in a week from falls. Mum from one building balcony and dad from another, very strange... but like I say very sad :unsure::cry:

There do seem to be quite a few deaths and injuries from falls from balconies abroad though. Are they very low and not checked for safety or something ?

If they are anything like the balconies in Egypt, and I'm sure they must be because the buildings appear to be much the same, then the balconies are about waist high and pretty well safe. The reports do not mention anything about the state of the balconies, which I am sure they would have done had they been in a poor state.

There is more to these deaths than meet the eye. I mean, man and wife falling from balconies a week apart and on different buildings. Food for thought! :huh: