Mega bin

Wireboy

Recently on local councils have tried a new scheme where each street now has a mega bin instead of your usual wheelie bin. These mega bins hold the capacity of 40 wheelie bins so 1 mega bin per 40 households. I'm not quite sure how well this will work if it is introduced in Warrington. For a start which poor house will end up with this bin outside there home? Also Brighton council who have trailed this say that there has been a huge increase in fly tipping next to these bins. Imagine that outside your home.

Just wondering if this scheme will take off and will we soon lose our wheelie bins in Warrington. Who here will volunteer to have it outside there home? Apparently some councils are offering reduced council tax to volunteers.

These are quite common in France.... a few years ago we were staying in Brittany and there was one area away from all the houses that had a big bin and also recycling bins and bottle banks etc. All the locals used to just walk down or drive down and empty their bins there. No real trouble, but when you are used to getting the bin collected from your door, it is a big change

It wouldn't really bother me if I had to use a megga bin, but then again it wouldn't be quite as convenient as popping into the yard/garden and placing rubish in your own bin. I guess we'd just have to have a bigger kitchen bin and empty that daily.

Initial thoughts and personal to my families/streets current use....

PROS

No bins littering my/our back yards or gardens

No flies around my bins in the yard in summer (we are getting quite a lot already despite cleaning and disinfecting it)

Reduced council tax sounds good (but only if it is a reasonable reduction and not a few pounds)

.... cant think of any more at the moment

CONS

Like already said, where would the mega bin be?

Presumably it would be in the street or back alley somewhere.... fire risk?

Also a risk of other 'passers by' filling it up if theirs is full.

Infact what happens when it is full?

Also some families round here have bags of excess waste every week which they leave out... they could probably fill the mega bin on their own so where again would that leave everyone else on the street?

They jury at my house is still out on it I'm afraid as they can see both sides but can't see how it would work in reality.

Another example of someone sat in an office thinking uf ways of fixing things that are not broken. We have had a bin per household for as long as I can remember, every household being responsible for binning their own rubbish and the system works. Has any rational reason for these mega bins been put forward ? e.g., will there be considerable savings to councils ?

What will the numpties think of next, a communal toilet per street !!!!

What a silly idea. It is bad enough round here as it is as come bin day any excess rubbish is dumped in or on the nearest bin.

As dizzy said a fire risk. Bad enough with the normal sized bins.

Mind you it would be somewhere to put all the three piece suites that seem to appear on a regular basis.

I can see that it would be a saving as there would only be one large bin per street to empty. But this would probably be used up in the extra trips needed to remove the rubbish that had been dumped at the side because the bin was full before the day it was due to be emptied..

Next difficulty would be in the winter when there was a bit of snow or ice. Just think of the extra cost the council would have at all the pensioners that had slipped and injured themselves walking down to the end off the street to put their rubbish in.

There's nothing new in this; skips have been provided (by WBC) in the past on sink estates for the chavs to dump their excess rubbish and help clean up such areas. However, can't see them being a substitute for a regular house collection service; frequency is important where waste is concerned.

I have thought of another CON....

If these mega bins are not the responsibility of one paricular person and are simply located in the streets then all the yobs will probably open them and leave them open for a laugh and/or scatter rubblish everywhere etc etc etc.

.... resulting in a lot of happy FLIES, RATS, MICE and other vermin. More work for the pest control companies though I suppose.

I'm sure they don't Obs as that would be very dangerous.

If it was in your out building or loft your whole house would go up in flames not to mention the fact that it would be a very cruel and painful end. I think they use actually use chemicals or a smoke bomb thingy (not exavtly sure of the technicalities though).

Don't some of the french still use toilets made of raised planks of wood over deep holes?

I'm sure they used to Dizzy but I've not seen any of those on my trips to France. I can confirm however that I know of at least one in Warrington which is as you describe but with a bucket instead of a hole.

I realised that after I posted but it was too late to edit as you may have already read it... sorry bog trotter and we have a spare orange B&Q bucket if you'd like it :cry:

Always more than happy to help the less fortunate out but of you don't like accepting charity I believe that morrisons often sell their black flower buckets off cheap (usually 5 for a £1)... no handles though but you could always make some holes and use the draw string from your jimmy bottoms 8)

Don't some of the french still use toilets made of raised planks of wood over deep holes?

When I've been to Calais and Perpignan the toilets have been good and modern.

In the gents they did have an old style hole in the ground at Catalan Dragons stadium and I think at the bar near the castle though.

As for waste I think the following could be done;

• Supermarkets need to cut down on the amount of packaging they use
  • People need to buy less pre packed foods
  • Don't waste lots of food, if you are that suggests you're buying too much
  • Use local shops, markets more and buy more fresh food
  • Could have waste compactors in the home - government could help with grants

There are many of the "old" French style toilets on their motorway service stations.

Those that have driven through France will know this!! They are mainly in use at the small service stations which don't have any facilities other than toilets. The larger ones with restaraunts and petrol station tend to use the UK style toilet!

The more modern French toilets don't have the planks of wood!

frenchloo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us