Town centre

Tilly

Tilly

Be careful - if you get serious about litter in the town centre you bring down on yourself the wrath of all and sundry.

Whatever you do, don't try to suggest what section of the community might be causing the litter or you will be villified by other forum members who apparently are prepared to tolerate the existing, appalling, situation.

As McBain says, the town centre is a place to avoid at all times, which is what I do.

Which of course means I spend my money elsewhere.

Originally posted by Lucy:

Tilly

Be careful - if you get serious about litter in the town centre you bring down on yourself the wrath of all and sundry.

Whatever you do, don't try to suggest what section of the community might be causing the litter or you will be villified by other forum members who apparently are prepared to tolerate the existing, appalling, situation.

As McBain says, the town centre is a place to avoid at all times, which is what I do.

Which of course means I spend my money elsewhere.

LMAO- Thats because my dear, litter is left by all walks of life not just the ones you have chosen to blame, when will you learn.

So does that mean that all the kids and young uns and chavs that I see throwing litter, bottles, chewing gum etc all over the floors, every day of the week are not really young people but are older people with jobs and a purpose in life..... but disguised as young people?

Now I am confused!

well if you specifally target pop cans, crisp packets & chewingum then fair enough

but lets add hmmm

Cigarette cartons

matches,

cigaette buts,

fly tippers

beer cans,

broken beer glasses

industrial supplies (it amazes me how often I see sealant tubes on the floor ???)

and worst of all the sputum of some wrinky old cap wearer.

or maybe its just realy tall wrinkly babies.

Interesting that this topic still persists.

The reason I singled out young people as the litterbugs in my original post was that on the occasion that I visited town, the town centre was full of young people, sitting on the seats at the top of Bridge Street, surrounded by litter.

I am quite prepared to accept that elderly people, middle aged people, males, females, and even babes in arms also drop litter. On the day in question, however, I believe it was the school age teenagers who were mainly responsible.

Quite frankly, even if they were not, they were prepared to sit in the midst of it, which in my view makes them little better than whoever DID deposit the litter.

The trouble with arguments put forward by the likes of Legion is that they give the impression that he is prepared to tolerate litter. I believe we should all refuse to accept it. Really, we should confront the culprits when we see them do it but (I know!) we don't because we haven't the bottle.

But it is because we all look the other way that these things happen.

In response to Peter, who wants to know how I know what it is like in the town centre if I don't go there, the answer is that I RARELY go there, avoiding it whenever possible.

I would have thought everyone realises that to take part in this forum it is necessary to generalise occasionally!

Oh, and by the way, Peter, have you swallowed a dictionary?

[ 18.10.2007, 14:13: Message edited by: Lucy ]

No Lucy, just everyday language. I tend not to use words like that in case people don't have dictionaries.

I thought that you had deserted us.

You really must learn to read between the lines.

People do take these things seriously, but in this day and age, a little light-hearted banter keeps us sane.