Wheelie Bin fines ?

Dizzy

Today I decided to do the unheard of... I went for a bike ride :o

Being a bit wobbly I took the safe routes away from traffic which finally led me down the whole of the long stretch of service roads behind Ellesmere Road in Stockton Heath..

How colourful it was and what a mess !!!!!

There must have been way in excess of 200 black, blue and green wheelie bins just left out in the service roads :o

Bin collection day is a Wednesday and today is Friday !!

Seems other councils are starting to fine people a ?100 fixed penalty for leaving their bins out as apparently under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, 'it is an offence to leave a bin outside a property between collections'.

What are the rules in Warrington and should the council be tougher in enforcing that all bins are put away... ?

and in the case of unused blue/green bins perhaps they should be taken away rather than just being abandoned and left out?

It appears that a lot of people do not remove their bins.

Perhaps a poll could be set up.

I do think that the council should do more, but the bins would have to be numbered first.

If they were on private property, it would reduce the number that were set on fire, and also the number that other people filled with rubbish and that didn't get emptied(eg Blue bins)

Originally posted by legion:

It may be due to the rufuse men not coming when they are supposed to, our last thursdays collection didnt arrive until friday.

That's cos last week was the catch up collection after Christmas.. so they were all a day later than usual. Collections are back to normal this week :D

Peter I agree that it would be a difficult thing to monitor... perhaps all that is needed is a well worded sticker being placed on all bins in know problem areas :wink:

Think the main culprets are those people who live in terraced houses who leave bins out in the service/access roads.

These areas are however classed as highways in the same way that normal roads are... so as such they are also breaking the highways rules too :o

Not necessarily. I had my first house on the old Liverpool road (where the chinese cippy is on the corner) and the service road between there and Huntley street was unadopted and so was nothing to do with the council. It wasn't too bad back in the 80's but if you look now, there are all sorts of abandoned caravans and cars and bins.

Pity the council don't want anything to do with those type of unadopted roads because they would then be liable for the upkeep and would need to get them tarmacked as well!

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Bins put out, emptied, no problems.

PS Tempted fate, probably all will now go wrong. :D

Eh :wink:

Do you recon your mate could do anything about it :wink: as there are potholes and very uneven surfaces too :wink:

Originally posted by BazJ:

Pity the council don't want anything to do with those type of unadopted roads because they would then be liable for the upkeep and would need to get them tarmacked as well!

I thought that council were "slowly" adopting the said roads, with the emphasis on slowly.

Originally posted by legion:

I cant beleive that people would choose to leave there bins out in the road empty as you suggest, as this would suggest that they all put the aditional effort of an increased journey every time they wanted to put a bag in it.

where is ellesmere road anyway ?

:D

Dismayed - the Council should maintain records of adopted highways (even though experience has taught me that they are far from complete and often entirely wrong!). Contact a bloke called Chris Bluck.

Failing that, go to the Chester & Cheshire Archives record office (Duke Street, Chester) and ask to see the Warrington plans of the 1910 Finance Act, which identified all land (including roads) that was maintainable at the public expense - this might help.