Westbrook/Asda traffic lights

disgusted

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly can I just say well done to the person who has started the petition and I have sign this online this evening. I am a local residant who lives off Ladywood Road and I have never been consulted in any shape or form prior to this rounabout being installed. Not only has it made mine and my husbands life hell since the work started but it has added an extra working day onto the average working month wasting time in traffic waiting to get through the lights!

I have also been emailing Clr Earl on a regular basis however that does not be going anywhere as in his words he is "only one Clr against 4".

What has also astonished me is that one of the councillors has requested the new pedestrian crossing on Ladywood Road as she doesn't like cycling on the other side and this was one of the deciding factors to put a new crossing where one is not needed. We have requested this not to go in and been told that its in the plans. How can someone who doesn't live in the area have the right to ask for improvements again without asking the local people their views?

I know.....its because they don't live in the area! And it's the people who rarely or never use this route who and will very rarely now due to congestion, have the right to make such an important decision which will effect so many lives. PATHETIC!!

Blondie....

they can do it because they have the power to do it. However a quick mention of health and safety has them changing their minds. I brought to their attention both in phone calls and via a local parish councillor that if they were to keep the "no right turn into Asda off westbrook Crescent" that they risked sending all of the traffic to a roundabout further up where the school is and that all this extra traffic would just dart through the back way into ASda and past the school.

The turn ban no longer is part of the plans.

The Councillors involved in this idiotic episode should be brought to book and gotten rid of; unfortunately the likes of Earl and his fellow useless cronies are here for another 4 years.

They see it as a right that they have their positions but personally I would vote for anyone who is not a sitting councillor at the next election and get rid of the bloody lot of them and let us start again and let them know who is boss!!

Fat chance I know but I can dream!

Prediction: The changes wont work. Traffic will still back up down cromwell. The lay by will only take about 8 cars per cycle and then they'll be hit by those queing to get into ASDA. GW will exacerbate this.

I cannot unfortunately envisage an improvement.

BTW at teh end of the last LTP WBC were criticised for not dooign enough to reduce congestion and thus lost out on grants. Will remind the givernment of these lights when the current LTP runs out.

I have just realised that the real problem with ther ASDA mess is the "policy" document on transport issued by WBC and agreed by the Labour quango that gives precedence to PEDESTRIANS and not road users. This so called policy needfs revision probably tear it up and start with some common sense one not one that is issued for potty prescott reasons.

I have just realised that the real problem with ther ASDA mess is the "policy" document on transport issued by WBC and agreed by the Labour quango that gives precedence to PEDESTRIANS and not road users. This so called policy needfs revision probably tear it up and start with some common sense one not one that is issued for potty prescott reasons.
Yup, that's the whole reason this mess started in the first place.

I've been given all the reasons from the councillors on why they can't go back, and why it was changed in the first place.

However that doesn't change the FACT - yes it's a FACT - that the initial change was a mistake, the proposed "improvements" (to something that originally wasn't broken) still do not improve on the original.

So, why don't they, instead of charging into yet another expensive mistake, actually take a deep breath, listen to what people have actually asked for, and find a way to go about it in the best way that they possibly can.

As yet, like the initial change, we've yet to see anyone who likes the proposed changes, so they're still going to get it in the neck, and as their neck seems to be the thing they value most highly, perhaps they should be thinking of saving it?

Legion-

Work to start on Monday 23rd June

there is a meet your Cllr at Westbrook library on Saturday 11am to 12pm, if people can get through the traffic :D

I will be going as I am still waiting for a response from Cllr Earl for my objection to the proposed traffic island at Ladywood.

Not only will this end up an unmaintained blot on the landscape like most islands in the area but will also add further obstacles on the highway for drivers. :evil:

• 1 month later...

Have to laugh at the leaflet we got through the door.

Asda have been asked to consider creating a new exit onto Cromwell to relieve some of the presuure past the petrol station.

Funny, that when I mentioned just such a thing to councillor Earl, he said that was unfeasable becasue that corner of land was unsuitable for a road! (Unlike say the Forth or Tay, where they just built a bridge over it for example :roll: )

Anyway, it seems that they will do anything other than simply re-instate the roundabout.

For the sake of our council taxes, I hope that this latest disaster at least goes part of the way to restoring traffic flow, although it will never get back to where it was.

Well played our elected mis-representatives.

I know its going to be a rat run but this is what happens when A clas roads (Cromwell is thew A574 no less) arent given the appropriate priority. People look elsewhere to get round it.

Beats the gulivers world diversion which takes you down to the paece centre, along sankey way and back up whittle avenue.

Have WBC not heard of sat nav. When your tom-tom etc next updates, it will show chapelford as a nioce short cut.

BTW the elongated bus stop isnt going to be opposite asda entrance. Lost opportunity to allow vehicles to go past traffic waitign to turn into ASDA.

Having just seen the road works being carried out to " improve" the situation at ASDA, I believe they are totally inadequate and will do little or nothing to sort out the mess created by the incompetent consultants used by WBC Environment department.

The road widening is by some 450 cm or 18 inches. NOT ENOUGH TO ALLEVIATE POTENTIAL TRAFFIC BUILD UP at thje entry to ASADA.

The bus stop is also inadequately designed to provide a good unobstructive bus stop.

The bus passengers - if any - will now have to cross into ASDA either by walking back some distance to the lights or by chancing to cross at the bus stop. I wonder which option they will choose.

It appears to me that this junction is again about to be a major disaster area for all road users, and I wait to be proved wrong. If I am correct I wait to see who will be sacked if and when it fails.

The bus passengers - if any - will now have to cross into ASDA either by walking back some distance to the lights or by chancing to cross at the bus stop.

Your arguements would be more convincing if you didn't make petty sideswipes at public transport. Many people use the bus to get to the Westbrook Centre, so stop intimating that all the buses are empty... :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

You've got to give them some credit for making sure it all comes together in the school summer hols. Wait till the September school run starts and see how effective these minor changes are then! Just another waste of tax payers money - as has this whole saga been. :(

I believe the only way to have resolved this bottleneck satisfactorily would have been to put back the roudnabout - but that would have involved too much common sense!

and it would have also meant breaking the "rules" that they made up in order to justify sticking the lights there in the first place :lol:

Buses to westbrook in peak generally are empty. i use the 18 everyday and when thats not runnign get the 13 or 29 and walk from Westbrook. Usually the only one on by the time i get to Westbrook. They simply take too long to get there so the 18 get used the most. The new 17 is another ghost bus. havent seen anyone on it leavign the interchange at peak hours.

As for the woradworks, have seen the "widening" on cromwell. It isnt 1 lane wide, so expect either very narrow runnign lanes or no one able to get past when a bus is in it.

Also anyone noticed the new lights going in at Daresbury where it meets the expresssway. Even more congfestiont here.

As for calver road......

Having just seen the road works being carried out to " improve" the situation at ASDA, I believe they are totally inadequate and will do little or nothing to sort out the mess created by the incompetent consultants used by WBC Environment department.

The road widening is by some 450 cm or 18 inches. NOT ENOUGH TO ALLEVIATE POTENTIAL TRAFFIC BUILD UP at thje entry to ASADA.

The bus stop is also inadequately designed to provide a good unobstructive bus stop.

The bus passengers - if any - will now have to cross into ASDA either by walking back some distance to the lights or by chancing to cross at the bus stop. I wonder which option they will choose.

It appears to me that this junction is again about to be a major disaster area for all road users, and I wait to be proved wrong. If I am correct I wait to see who will be sacked if and when it fails.

What are you a Civil Engineer now Wally!